• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air filters Pre-Filters

anoldbiker

• Owner

i am probably on of the over oilers. if there was any doubt to whether there was enough it just put on some more. thats probably why i have the residue. my thoght process was as long as it is catching the dirt no harm not foul. though it does make me wonder about the intercooler. at least i feel i have kept dirt from the engine.

my wife had her oil changed on the road once and they cleaned her k&n for her. she explained to me the tech had said i was not doing a goood enogh job and cleanded it with compressed air. my wife really enjoyed pointing out how wrong i was in my cleaning process. compressed air is about the last thing one of these filters needs to see. it was replaced sohortly with a dry filter.

i amj not sure that this residue is a bad thing unless it helps clog the intercooler which aint good. one day maybe i will take it out and see.

bottom line for me, the dry filter BHAF, i feel it will be better in the long run. with the cost of recharge packs for the k&n it is going to equal out in cost.

No filter should be blown off with compressed air because over time you will rip the media and create a entry hole for more dust and dirt.

I would rather use stock paper element filter and then install a filter minder in every vehicle...

http://www.filterminder.com/

Posted Image

I definitely agree with the filter minder. Found one in a junk yard, made a wall bracket and fitted it in my wife little 03 gasser when I bought it new. Works great. I see they finally have satellite minders for sale. Should be standard in ALL vehicles sold in the USA.But as for the the savings on paper verses oilier ? Because I watch what the reminder tells me, I've only had to do her filter twice since 03 and I'm not even through with the first service kit. Maybe three to four more services with the kit before I need to get a new one. Savings ? Not sure, if any at all. I don't know how many paper I would have gone through. I have pulled the downside of her air cleaner to see if there was oil/debris in the tube or on the MAP sensor and found none. But like I said, I make sure of no over oiling. It still seems a personal preference or belief in my eyes on style of filter.I finally received my Outerwear pre-filter and fitted it on my filter, now the waiting game to see if I'll be happy or not. But loved the info by Outerwear, where they say it's good for 15k and is recommended to replace then. I guess they want a constant yearly customer.

I run a paper BHAF with out the Outerwares. I put the filter on not long after I got the truck on 05/01/01. Last summer I finally replaced my filter and I also had the filter minder mounted on the filter. I have not been able to pull the filter minder down even a little, but after 100k miles I changed it. The new filter was $50 so it only cost me $5 per year to run it bare. What I am trying to say in I don't believe they are needed. Oh, I also run a fair amount of dirt roads and tow a bit too.

• Staff

I have a friend with a 2011 6.7. He put a AFE intake on it and was throwing codes for excessive flow at the MAF. AFE sent him an pre-filter sock and the codes went away, he also said he lost a lot of low end performance.. Not sure I subscribe to the outerwear as a constant thing, I'd rather spec a proper filter and change the filter a little more often, but have the outerwear (pantyhose) in the truck if you got into a smoke/etc situation. I will probably go throw one in the truck's tool box just for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this pre-filter on for a 1/2 tank so far and would like to ask those who have them if they noticed a slight drop in mpg with it on.I go by hand calculation only, but since new, I noticed the lie-o-meter will be off by 2 mpg +, yet constant. Since this has been on, it's lower by 2 mpg than normal. Nothing has changed except the weather by being a few degrees lower, but nothing like your up north. Road conditions the same, fuel the same, driving like an egg is under my foot the same and loads then same. No changes except the outerwear pre-filter.Anyone else noticed this ?

• Owner

Thanks for the info. I've never had a paper filter in for more than max 3 years. Not that it really needed changing, just me not knowing if they would crumble or not. Was there any degrading of the material ?

My first BHAF lasted 7 years and 130K miles before I gave up because the media inside the filter was starting to dis-color slighlty and I didn't want to push my luck too far. Still no restriction shown by the filter minder...

• Staff

I've had this pre-filter on for a 1/2 tank so far and would like to ask those who have them if they noticed a slight drop in mpg with it on. I go by hand calculation only, but since new, I noticed the lie-o-meter will be off by 2 mpg +, yet constant. Since this has been on, it's lower by 2 mpg than normal. Nothing has changed except the weather by being a few degrees lower, but nothing like your up north. Road conditions the same, fuel the same, driving like an egg is under my foot the same and loads then same. No changes except the outerwear pre-filter. Anyone else noticed this ?

Based on what happened to my buddy with his '11 and outer wear I wouldn't be surprised if it's the culprit, or part of. Does the banks replace the torque tube?

Based on what happened to my buddy with his '11 and outer wear I wouldn't be surprised if it's the culprit, or part of. Does the banks replace the torque tube?

AH64ID - The Banks system has been on for I believe 4 years and the unit supplied everything from the turbo to the grille. And M1973M, I never owned a paper filter except the original on any vehicle I've own. And I will say they are WAY smaller compared to the one BHAF that I've seen. I will say I was hesitant on over 3 years on a paper filter even though the filter minder indicated it wasn't plugged. I guess I'm old fashion in my beliefs. I 'felt' safer and the prices weren't bad. The same with this Banks. I can go by the filter minder, or as I do to make me 'feel' at ease and clean it once per year, minimum. Earlier this year was the 1st time I cleaned it out twice in a 12 month period with all the cr*p I picked up driving through all the high winds of dirt and fire debris through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona portion of my last trip.

AH64ID - The Banks system has been on for I believe 4 years and the unit supplied everything from the turbo to the grille.

And M1973M, I never owned a paper filter except the original on any vehicle I've own. And I will say they are WAY smaller compared to the one BHAF that I've seen. I will say I was hesitant on over 3 years on a paper filter even though the filter minder indicated it wasn't plugged. I guess I'm old fashion in my beliefs. I 'felt' safer and the prices weren't bad. The same with this Banks. I can go by the filter minder, or as I do to make me 'feel' at ease and clean it once per year, minimum. Earlier this year was the 1st time I cleaned it out twice in a 12 month period with all the cr*p I picked up driving through all the high winds of dirt and fire debris through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona portion of my last trip.

Here is my 6637 on the right, used as you can tell, and my 2790 on the left. new

Posted Image

Here is a visual of the diameter.

Posted Image

If that 2790 on the left wears out in under 40,000 miles ide be surprised, because the 6637 lasted about 52,000, and it saw service is really bad areas.

AND if you look inside you can see the filter is still clean as a bell.

• 1 month later...

Recently did research on this BHAF and from the internet suppliers, they say up to an '02. Might fit in something later, but with modified parts and fittings. Need to get measurements to see what's up.How many who owns a 2003 and later has one under their hood ? Seems everyones sig I seen here that has one in is an '02 or earlier.

• 2 weeks later...