• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 QCSB or 1999 QCLB DRW

Ok, so I've got a dilemma.

As many of you know, My DD is an '01 QCSB SRW 6speed. A friend texted me a picture of a '99 QC Dually. I went to look at it, and the guy has had it for 5yrs, and no longer needs a dually, and wants to get a SRW truck. I, on the other hand, have been looking for a dually. So, trade talks ensued.

Here's what he's got:

99 QCLB Dually 4x4, auto

268k mi

new steering components

new steering box

new tires

new shocks

automatic with stock TC and Trans-Go shift kit

overload springs

Quadzilla Adrenaline

Gauge pod w/EGT, BOOST, and Trans Temp gauges

New VP44

FASS DDRP

MBRP 5" turbo-back

Leather interior w/ couple cracks in the dash

no tow mirrors, but heated/power stock ones

gooseneck hide-away ball

What I have:

02 QCSB SRW 4x4, 6 speed

179k mi

newish tires

new steering components

new shocks

new brakes

new wheel bearings

steering box brace

BHAF

5" Turbo-back Exhaust

Edge Juice w/Attitude

cloth interior

busted up dash

Tow mirrors

no 5th wheel/gooseneck

newish headlight housings

His truck needs:

AC fixed

tow mirrors

weird thing with the ABS that needs attention (not a detrimental issue, I don't think; I'll elaborate on this later)

a manual trans (my preference ;) )

My truck needs:

clutch soon

batteries sooner

rear bumper

On his ABS issue:

brakes work fine, but when slowing down and getting around 10mph to stop, the pedal feels like the ABS wigs out a little.. you can feel it in the pedal, and it grunts and groans, but stops fine..

If you unplug the brake ecu thingy (forward-most plug on the ABS controller, closest to the battery) it stops fine. however, the speedo stops working as well.

The pedal stops doing it's groany thing, and such. truck still works fine.

Both front hubs have been replaced, as well as the rear sensor, but it still does it.

AC probably needs a charge/leak fixed.

I don't know what the 99s issues are, if any/many.

If I trade, I told him I'll keep my mirrors and snow plow stuff, as well as light bar.

He can keep the ladder rack and bed toolbox.

attached a picture of the dually. only pic I have of it..

post-10339-138698182425_thumb.jpg

If it was me i would want cash on his end of the deal, his truck is an auto and has twice the miles as yours, also how many miles are on the tranny because I know its not the original lol. Are you planning on getting the truck and immediately switching it over to manual?-Jordan-

thanks for your input, guys..I looked on NADA for comparable values, just to get a baseline..[TABLE][TR=class: vdppricetypes][TD][/TD][TD=class: pricetype][/TD][TD=class: pricetype][/TD][TD=class: pricetype][/TD][TD=class: pricetype][/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE][TR][TD=class: summaryFooterVDP][/TD][TD=class: summaryFooterVDP, align: right][/TD][TD=class: summaryFooterVDP, align: right][/TD][TD=class: summaryFooterVDP, align: right][/TD][/TR][/TABLE]Prices: Rough Trade-in Avg. Trade-in Clean Trade-in Clean Retail2001 $6500 $7525 $8375 $11,3001999 $5875 $6775 $7525 $10,350I'd say they're both classified as average, given the condition of the two trucks..So we're looking at my '01 with a +$800 difference.It's hard to bicker about the minimal difference, especially since he just put 6 tires on it, less than 300mi ago..trans was stock-rebuilt last year.

Your truck is a bit more marketable due to mileage and being newer.Duallys are nice, but not as many people need one, so the market is slower on them. This works in your favor.I would ask for $2,000 difference and work from there.Also, is it a 53 block? This is a bargaining point if it is.

Im sure we all have to much in our trucks, I know I do! I do like a longbed but after having the auto and 6 speed, the auto would brake the deal for me. Now if your gonna beef it up or do the manual conversion you will be set. It would be hard for me to trade my truck, it has its quirks but i know all of them and how to straighten them out.:thumbup2:

Im sure we all have to much in our trucks, I know I do! I do like a longbed but after having the auto and 6 speed, the auto would brake the deal for me. Now if your gonna beef it up or do the manual conversion you will be set. It would be hard for me to trade my truck, it has its quirks but i know all of them and how to straighten them out.:thumbup2:

I would have to agree with you. I know this truck better than any one i have ever had. The good and the bad. But 10 years old, 250k and it still does what it was designed to do even better than new. She is a keeper.

I'm still considering it all. I had a SCLB '96 auto. trans took a dump, and I did a 5 speed swap. loved the truck, but needed more cab space (me, wife, 2 kids.)So, I looked for a QC dually. couldn't find one within my price range. I ran across my '01 for a song and a dance.. It wasn't what I wanted, but it filled the bill at the time.Now, I want to continue my search for a QC dually. This 'trade deal' kinda came out of left field; it was totally unexpected.on a condition scale of 1-10, 10 being best overall, the dually is about a 7, maybe 8. my truck is about a 5, maybe 6. mine is mechanically sound, but the body is beat, and the interior is worn out. He'll be dropping off the dually tomorrow, and I'll have it all day to check out. I looked at it today, and it is NOT a '53' block; it is a '55' block.

Well, if you think the dually is a better vehicle than yours (tranny not a deal breaker) then if you want it, go for it! I would definately do a 6 speed swap on it though or put money into the auto.

The transmission isn't a total deal-breaker, even though I'm MUCH MORE fond of the manual trans (except when pushing snow...) I told my wife that I could sell my twin-disc clutch that's laying in the garage, and buy a billet converter for it, if I felt the need. Her (surprising) response was "Why not just do another trans swap like you did in the blue truck?" God, I love her LOL Oh, and it's not that I think it's a 'better' truck than mine, it's just that I could use a dually and long bed, and feel better about towing, etc. And, I've wanted one, too.. so it makes my decision a little more biased, but I'm trying to keep my mind from becoming too biased in the decision.

He dropped it off this morning, so I have it all day to check out. Unfortunately, I'm working, so it'll be this afternoon before I can really go over it. I drove it to work, and it seems on point with everything..He mentioned that he gets mid-teens in town, and about 21 mpg highway. The lie-o-meter shows 10.6mpg avg.. COUGH COUGH.... I don't think I've ever seen my truck's OHC display a number that low.But, no, it isn't a "done deal" yet. I'll keep you all posted.

He decided not to do it..Apparently, my truck is "too beat up". :lmao: I have to agree, though. my truck has seen some slightly rough times.Nevermind the fact that my truck is mechanically sound, needs nothing but batteries, but does have a few dents, etc. His has been repainted, visible (poor) bodywork, leaking return line, jacked ABS controller, non-working AC, worn shocks, and with his Adrenaline on 8, pulls like my Edge on 1, maybe 2. I'm a little bitter about his approach, but I can see what he means. From 20 feet away, his does definitely look better. I'll just keep looking, or possibly just fix mine up, do the dually conversion, and call it done. After driving the DRW, even without towing, the rear does feel more "planted", or "stable" than my SRW.

Well at least you don't have all the headache of the initial change over. I hate that part of getting another truck. Getting it the way you want it isn't easy or cheap, and the worry of the gremlins is always present.Good luck with your search. I will keep an eye out for you if you would like. I am only an hour west of Winchester.

• 5 months later...

I'll just keep looking, or possibly just fix mine up, do the dually conversion, and call it done. After driving the DRW, even without towing, the rear does feel more "planted", or "stable" than my SRW.

So, old thread, but still on topic: I decided (for S&Gs) to place my truck FS or Trade on craigslist last night. Sell for 10,5k$ or trade for EC or QC dually, 12v or 24v. manual or built auto. blah blah.. So, within 12 hrs, I had like seven different emails. most were 12v dually 4x4s. here's one of them.. a 97 with 134k, built auto, billet triple disc TC, tow VB, etc.. The bed doesn't move me, but whatever.. post-10339-138698189895_thumb.jpg

post-10339-138698189887_thumb.jpg