• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BHAF Question....

• Owner

No MPG increase? Not till I do something with the exhaust too, I suppose.

Exhaust change not required. I'm still running 3" pipe. Remember the only time exhaust upgrades are needed for reducing EGT's and increasing flow is when your WOT going down a 1/4 mile strip. If your driving with economy in mind then there is very little boost and very little EGT's anyways so increasing exhaust is not going to change MPG's. There is a lot of market hype for large exhaust and intake tubes. But for MPG mode its not needed. But now if your doing quarter mile or dyno queens then yes it would be best for a upgrade.
  • Like 2

• Staff

Thanks Mopar. Mostly the truck carries the camper. So I drive very easy. Once in awhile it gets a short errand run empty. I worry about it sitting most of the time. I do remember to start it each week.

An "Outerwears" filter cover is nice. It filters down to 5 microns. You can get it water resistant. It's already heat resistant. It's especially good to cover paper filters. I noticed more low end torque. I added a Banks twin ram and that made another difference in the mid range that was noticeable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put one on my truck because It had a K&N gauze one on it when I bought the truck and I know of a few people who have had issues with the filter coming apart and tearing up the turbo. As big as the filter is I don't think you will ever exceed the amount of air flow that it can provide.

• Like 1

• Staff

There is enough reason to get mine installed and quit letting it sit on the workbench. Yeah I'm a lazy ole' dog on weekendsThanks everyone. BTW I have the outerwear cover for it. Vulcan performance is cool honest folks to do biz with.

• 2 weeks later...

Made more noise, basically turbo whistle was louder.My 4 inch exhaust made it louder again, did nothing for mileage but did run cooler when towing heavy. Changed to a Scotty Air and made it quieter and did lower EGT's a bit when pulling the same heavy loads.Best thing I ever did was drive it like a human being and keep the revs under 2000 rpm, mileage gains prove it.Jeff

• Like 1

• Staff

Made more noise, basically turbo whistle was louder. My 4 inch exhaust made it louder again, did nothing for mileage but did run cooler when towing heavy. Changed to a Scotty Air and made it quieter and did lower EGT's a bit when pulling the same heavy loads. Best thing I ever did was drive it like a human being and keep the revs under 2000 rpm, mileage gains prove it. Jeff

Thank you Jeff and all others too, for the information.

• Staff

i would highly recommend the outerwears filter cover, very easy to clean and saves you from replacing the filter

Yes I did get the outerwear cover when Eric at Vulcan performance recommended it :thumbup2:. Still it's sitting on my workbench not installed. Just doing my winter hybernation (rest) for now. Actually lazy..... that is the word :thud: