• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Antifreeze leak in wheel well

I have a 2201 3500 with 24v. I have an antifreeze leak that is showing up in the passenger wheel well. There is a 2" spray pattern all the way across the liner like the tire is spraying it up there. The engine compartment is dry. There is 1 steel line that runs across the fender in the engine compartment but all connections or joints are dry. Although I have not removed the foil tape that is on them, but no signs of leaking or water marks. Could the heater core be leaking? If it was would it be wet in the cab or shouldn't I smell it? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

You would smell coolant in the cab if it was the heater core. Get the vehicle up to operating temp and look around. If you have to, have some rev up the engine while looking. The extra flow and pressure should make the leak show up depending on what it is.

I have never had any sign of coolant leak in the engine compartment. When I am referring to the fender I am talking from the outside directly above the wheel. I thought I possibly ran through something the first time I noticed it but it has come back several times. I guess I may have to wait until it becomes a bigger leak. Just hope it don't leave me stranded somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

No fix a flat and not losing a ton of coolant. Very minimal but noticeable. Overflow is nowhere near the area that is showing the leak. It is for sure antifreeze. Again no signs of a leak what so ever in the engine compartment. May just start changing hoses and see if I can fix it that way.

where might I find the drain tube?  And why would there be antifreeze in the hvac?

...the heater core. Drain for HVAC is on passenger side in the engine bay on the firewall towards the bottom.

But like I was saying, if your heater core is leaking, you should be able to smell the coolant when you have the blower on high and hot.

If I was you, I would just monitor the coolant level and let it be. Keep some extra coolant handy and when the problem finally does start to show more, then you will what to fix instead of spending gobbs of money replacing everything...

Edited by hex0rz

• 2 months later...

Still trying to track down this leak. Seems to be getting a little worse with the added Hp. Would a pressure test show me anything? Thinking about doing a flush and maybe itwill help or break some gunk loose and show the leak better.