• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A Close Call!

hex0rz

Man! Okay, so I work the night shift now, and we have just recently accumulated about 3 inches or so of snow. On the way back home, I will hit county road and the plow stops at the city line until the city is done, then they will do county. So me and the wife are cruising down the road, I'm doing speed limit(35). Stupid me took it out of 4wd when I shoulda left it in... :doh:

...and then 2 deer jump out in front of me! Alright, what to do? Do I keep going and hit one, or do I try and maneuver out of the way to avoid them? Ahh, I will rev the truck a little and scare them out of the way! HA! Yea, woulda worked in 4wd, not 2wd!

So it began, we do the sideways thing, and yea, literally going down the road sideways. I've done and been in alot of these sort of things so I remember the first thing to do it not panic. Okay, but now my precious moments are pre-occupied in telling myself not to panic! In this case, hitting the braked a little did help my situation. I turn the wheel a little to try and regain orientation and with all the momentum, I end up going sideways the other way! :duh:

Okay, well I'm slowing down a little now, except I turn and nothing happens. Alright, so this one is going to be outta my control... I just keep watching where I will end up and luckily my estimation was wrong. I've got a ditch on both sides and a driveway coming up with a data box sticking up. Wife is grabbing the OSH bracing trying not to scream her head off! :)

Friction finally wins and we end up almost in this persons driveway but not in the ditch! :hyper:

Needless to say, it woke me back up! I guess I should just kept going and hit them. Although, the truck is not damaged, so maybe it worked out for the better! :lol:

I did leave skid marks in the snow in the shape of braided hair atleast. Can't say I'm not artistic!

Edited by hex0rz

• Owner

My solution is re-consider your lighting on the truck so you lighting up a wider span of roadway. Hence why both of my trucks have the 100w aircraft lighting. You can spot deer eyes with a bright light if your paying attention. The thing about sliding 4WD or 2WD if it was going to slide its not going to matter. But as for braking forces yes 4WD does seem to prevent sliding for starting but if it does 4WD or 2WD isn't going to change much. But this depends slide direction. Like in your case with being sideways 4WD won't do anything for it. But as for rolling straight the braking action is spread out better.

My rule of thumb is if the road is a primary highway and is ploughed I'm not going to worry about 4WD much. Unploughed secondary roads I'm going to use the 4WD more so.

But I'm glad wife and you are OK.

I tend to go out and play in large parking lots and see what both 4WD and 2WD can do and not do.

• Like 1

It was a while ago...  I hit a patch of black ice on a secondary route...  in 2WD under light acceleration...  probably no more than 35.  It was right at a Y in the road with a large paved area.  Truck was totally sideways, I turned into the skid & got it straight before & ran out of road.  Definitely a "Underwear!" moment.

You glad you & yours are OK. 

Edited by flagmanruss

I think the worst time I ever had driving in the snow and ice was in Seattle, WA. They only had gotten 2-3 inches of snow, but it is so moist out there being right on the ocean that it makes things super slick. It will drizzle, freeze, snow, drizzle, and freeze again. That stuff is NO good to drive on, dont care how good a driver you are. And then you throw in all the steep hills in the area and you park you truck, it starts sliding off the hill just because its so slick. No fun at all.

Glad you were able to save her Hex. You'll get them deer next time :gun::burnout:

Glad everyone is fine.  I had a run in with a deer in the '00.  It did a little damage so after a couple years of a cheap beer can thick brush guard I found a push bumper off a tow truck, been on for 2 years now.  I like it a lot, extra insurance.  post-1146-0-30567900-1391136497_thumb.jppost-1146-0-41362200-1391136575_thumb.jp

If'n you need to fill your freezer……………don't slow down.

That's just me though…………………. :2cents:

Yea, we've got a roadkill "law". If you hit an animal or so one on the road, you can take it for meat. I've done it twice this year now. First deer was not salvageable. Second deer, I got about 10lbs of grind. Really small deer. I've already resigned myself that anything in the road better be out of my way or its getting hit. Except, with this time around, I try a different approach and almost pay for it.

My solution is re-consider your lighting on the truck so you lighting up a wider span of roadway. Hence why both of my trucks have the 100w aircraft lighting. You can spot deer eyes with a bright light if your paying attention. The thing about sliding 4WD or 2WD if it was going to slide its not going to matter. But as for braking forces yes 4WD does seem to prevent sliding for starting but if it does 4WD or 2WD isn't going to change much. But this depends slide direction. Like in your case with being sideways 4WD won't do anything for it. But as for rolling straight the braking action is spread out better.

My rule of thumb is if the road is a primary highway and is ploughed I'm not going to worry about 4WD much. Unploughed secondary roads I'm going to use the 4WD more so.

But I'm glad wife and you are OK.

I tend to go out and play in large parking lots and see what both 4WD and 2WD can do and not do.

Well, now that money is going to come trickling in again, it will be on my long list of things to buy some day! I've got some cheapo' $25 fog lights, but they are not that bright. I've got some better lighting in mind, though!

If I woulda put her in 4wd and goosed it, I would have been fine. Put winding her up in 2wd, bad... Sometimes I just cannot lose traction in 4wd.

The kicker is, with the road being plowed, I did not justify 2wd. But when I hit county, I did not think to 4wd it. But a block into it, I almost regretted it!

I've also been thinking hard on whether or not I could build my own front "road armor" bumper for cheaper than buying it. I've just been wanting to get my dream snowplow first before I made it so I could still use the plow with it on. Also make a nice "seat" for me to sit when I'm workin in the engine bay, lol.

Now that's a Deer Strainer!  :lmao2::lmao:

That is good one, a lot people call it a deer slayer.  Funny thing is now I don't see many deer after it was installed.  Its like they know.  If I do see one I let off the throttle and that's it. :lol:  

I've also been thinking hard on whether or not I could build my own front "road armor" bumper for cheaper than buying it. I've just been wanting to get my dream snowplow first before I made it so I could still use the plow with it on. Also make a nice "seat" for me to sit when I'm workin in the engine bay, lol.

I looked at aftermarket full bumper replacements and man they are expensive.  I like craigslist, that is where I found this.  Paid $125 for it and spent another 65 on some steel, recovery loops and paint.  The lights I had on the previous brush guard and just cut some holes and mounted them in the bumper.  It don't look as nice as a road armour, but it only cost a fraction of one.  I have not seen anybody with an bumper replacement and a snow plow.  That would be heavy. 

Edited by ABennin

I clipped a small doe 2 weeks ago on Stanhope. She came out of the woods on a full sprint, cleared the ditch, and landed right in front of me. I barely had time to lift before I hit her and sent her back across the ditch. Firts time I've ever hit a deer that didn't crush the front end of my vehicle like a pop can. I would say the investment I put into my bumper paid for itself right there.

The wifes sister loaned her new car out to a good friend while her car was in the shop. She was 2 miles from home when a deer popped out in front of her. She swerved to miss it, went through the ditch, hit a big tree head on and rolled the car. She was very lucky to walk away with a few cuts and bruises. Sister in law wasn't so lucky, she doesn't have a car at the moment.

post-879-0-48231200-1391173376_thumb.jpe

post-879-0-84340600-1391173450_thumb.jpe

And that is the reason anyone involved in EMS, LEOs, and insurance companies tell you not to swerve and to stay on the road. Deer damage is way less and you come out of it a lot better.

That is good one, a lot people call it a deer slayer.  Funny thing is now I don't see many deer after it was installed.  Its like they know.  If I do see one I let off the throttle and that's it. :lol:  

I looked at aftermarket full bumper replacements and man they are expensive.  I like craigslist, that is where I found this.  Paid $125 for it and spent another 65 on some steel, recovery loops and paint.  The lights I had on the previous brush guard and just cut some holes and mounted them in the bumper.  It don't look as nice as a road armour, but it only cost a fraction of one.  I have not seen anybody with an bumper replacement and a snow plow.  That would be heavy. 

But thats the beauty of being able to make your own! I imagine I will probably end up going with something in aluminum and make it strong with proper reinforcing. Although, the welding will probably be out of my hands unless I get a kit for my welder to do aluminum... Hehe, another excuse to tell the wife I need another thing!

I clipped a small doe 2 weeks ago on Stanhope. She came out of the woods on a full sprint, cleared the ditch, and landed right in front of me. I barely had time to lift before I hit her and sent her back across the ditch. Firts time I've ever hit a deer that didn't crush the front end of my vehicle like a pop can. I would say the investment I put into my bumper paid for itself right there.

The wifes sister loaned her new car out to a good friend while her car was in the shop. She was 2 miles from home when a deer popped out in front of her. She swerved to miss it, went through the ditch, hit a big tree head on and rolled the car. She was very lucky to walk away with a few cuts and bruises. Sister in law wasn't so lucky, she doesn't have a car at the moment.

Yea, no kidding. Just take it to the carwash and get all the blood, guts and hair off. And wow! Your SIL's friend is lucky! thats one heck of a wreck!

And that is the reason anyone involved in EMS, LEOs, and insurance companies tell you not to swerve and to stay on the road. Deer damage is way less and you come out of it a lot better.

Ha, now what to do about them pesky elk and moose! I've seen semi-trucks totaled from them!

My wife would drive over a cliff to miss a squirrel. Me, bump bump. Darn, he almost made it.

Haha, when it comes to a deer my wife wants me to hit it, lol. But when it comes to a little kitty cat or the likes, I better roll out the red carpet! :rolleyes:

Deer Whistles!!!! Install some deer whistles :thumb1:  I smacked a deer up in Montana 30 min after I laughed at deer whistles on a counter at a gas station 30 min earlier :doh:  :doh: ... I have had them on my vehicles ever since, and so far so good :thumb1:  :thumb1:

I know about the deer whistles and for the longest time have always been told they do not work. Besides, how many deer are really in FL? :tongue:

Here is a link I found on the subject as well:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/how-effective-are-deer-whistles