• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re, how long will it last?

I am easy on my trans. NEVER get it hot. Tow a 12,000 gvw 5r. My 2001, 2500 has 150,000 miles on it now. I am getting nervous about leaving on a long trip about the age of the trans. I know the reputable transmission shops here at home. What would you do?

It is not the tranny that fails it is the torque converter lockup clutch that fails due to little surface area and low line pressures from stock. Spend 1500 and replace the TC and VB and let your worries fade away, you are at the end of the TC life at 150K, pulling that heavy I am surprised it lasted that long but if you are close to stock and drive reallyeasy it is possible. On my 02 I could get the lockup clutch to slip at 30K miles with nothing but an Edge EZ on a stock rig and that was without any load or trailer on it.

When I back uphill with a trailer, I use low range. Usually idles rather than struggling in high range.

183,000 original transmission but new torque converter @ 145,000. Regular fluid changes all the way along.

Edited by joecool911

My 98.5 24V has 220,000 on the original trans,  I baby it and at 135,000 when I got it i put in a billet cover double disc converter, a BD valve body and fluid changes once a year 6-10K miles and still working perfectly, I am starting to get a little nervous about it tho, Gonna get it rebuilt soon to avoid a catastophic failure.

It is not the tranny that fails it is the torque converter lockup clutch that fails due to little surface area and low line pressures from stock. Spend 1500 and replace the TC and VB and let your worries fade away, you are at the end of the TC life at 150K, pulling that heavy I am surprised it lasted that long but if you are close to stock and drive reallyeasy it is possible. On my 02 I could get the lockup clutch to slip at 30K miles with nothing but an Edge EZ on a stock rig and that was without any load or trailer on it.

out of curiosity,   will similar mods  on the  RH  trans  be as  effective?

I  seen  where they  take  the  larger  clutch packs/wider clusters  out of  the  bigger trans,  ie  48's  to  the  47's,  even  down to the  46's..  but  was  wondering if  the  VB  TC  mods  worked as  well in the  non electric version?

Not sure if my tranny was original or not, but at around 215,000 miles, the front band was worn to the rivets. The clutches were still good, wave plates were good, stock style TC and valve body were functioning but I could slip the converter with injectors and Edge EZ. My plan was just to replace the TC and VB but after seeing the band and stock style plastic servo/accumulator, it was time for a rebuild...I want a 5/6 speed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if my tranny was original or not, but at around 215,000 miles, the front band was worn to the rivets. The clutches were still good, wave plates were good, stock style TC and valve body were functioning but I could slip the converter with injectors and Edge EZ. My plan was just to replace the TC and VB but after seeing the band and stock style plastic servo/accumulator, it was time for a rebuild...I want a 5/6 speed. 

I rather have a 5 or 6 speed as well. I think it would make for a more reliable truck in my case!

What's the most miles anyone has gotten from their 47re? Aside from replacing a torque converter, I'm at 183,000 and counting. I don't think replacing the T/C and/or valve body counts as transmission rebuild.

Edited by joecool911

LOL,   I think you are right Joe!     a  tc replacement-vb  upgrade is  'preventative maintenance'.     When the  tc  blows  chunks  through the rest of the  trans.. that's   a  rebuild!

All my  rh  trans  would  be  shot right around the  magic  200 k  mark,   usually  rucking the  struck  truck  did it every time.

I'm thinking too,  the  'newness'  has  worn off,  and   the  'I don't care, it's  got 200 k miles attitude'  has  set in..  and   the  weak link  shines  every time!

Trans pressure was low causing several problems. It did need the rebuild at 165k miles with 50k miles loaded to 17,600 lb with my 5r. The shop I used manufactures the Mojave Green converters. Billet triple disc with lots of good stuff inside. Google it for more info. Shifts a little harder now and locks up around 1100rpm. I feel more confident now.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My stock 47 went to 280k. I babied it with pressure slightly turned up and running on tractor transmission fluid for the last few years.  Got to where I couldn't tow with it then it got to were it wouldnt go any more at all.

Revived it and hope to take it at least 150. Should take the truck to 450k.