• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Should have made that a new thread in the 4th gen area. Nice truck. Time to update your signature and garage...

I'll get it updated here pretty soon. Summer isn't a time I'm online much

Just make sure you get after that fuel filter and get ready to replace injectors in the future. If the grid heater light comes on while your driving you can bet you've got excessive return flow from the injectors. 

Not too concerned yet. It's still under warranty, so I don't want to void that. CR injectors have come a long ways.... heck my brother's lasted 180K with no extra filtration until 140K. 

17 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Look at you, all fancy. ..:drool:. I'd like to get a new one with 4 doors but  can't afford it I don't think. Waiting on wife to get somewhere at her job then maybe if play my cards right never know. Just wish newer one's didn't have all the expensive problems they come with. But then again if I had money to buy one I wouldn't worry about fixing it, probably just pay someone to do it too. Nice color. 

I don't like the payment, but I love the truck! It's worth it to have something reliable and under warranty. 

The pictures just don't do the color justice!

I'll try and get some interior / bed pictures this week. 

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

Very nice truck. I would love to have except for the payments and with the trips I am making right now I would be out of warranty in two years. The 02 was out in 4 years but still ran trouble free pretty much for 4 more until the ECM crapped out.

Still a bit jealous though. Enjoy.

13 hours ago, dripley said:

Very nice truck. I would love to have except for the payments and with the trips I am making right now I would be out of warranty in two years. The 02 was out in 4 years but still ran trouble free pretty much for 4 more until the ECM crapped out.

Still a bit jealous though. Enjoy.

5 years / 100k on the powertrain. 100k in two years is a lot!

3 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Wheeeeellllsssss

Oh I know.... IMO they're hideous, but they do have almost new tires. Meh

• Like 1

• Owner
21 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I'm at 54k miles in one year just running back and forth taking care of @MoparMom dialysis treatments. Started at 362 miles a trip every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Now I'm down to 250 miles per trip same days. So tomorrow I've got to hop in the saddle and do it again. Heck in another 40k miles I'll have 100k miles on my NV4500 transmission and also proven than Mobil 50 trans fluid doesn't do any harm either. 

Just keep truckin' :burnout2:

45 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Oh I know.... IMO they're hideous, but they do have almost new tires. Meh

I am traveling between Bowie Md and Hickory NC every weekend. That and driving  around for the job is wracking up close to 1000 miles a week. Double my normal trips. I hate working up here

On Sun Oct 29 2017 at 6:07 PM, TFaoro said:

The pump was sent off to Farrell last week. 

I picked this up Friday. 2014 Ram 2500 quad cab short bed with a 50 gallon transferflow tank airbags with compressor with 32K on the clock. It'll be nice having something reliable, but don't worry the 2nd gen will still get love!

IMG_20171027_170219134_HDR.jpg.495c208afe78ab919b77435410521772.jpg

IMG_20171028_130853411_HDR.jpg.a25e844245171f9c137b9b98c16370a0.jpg

Nice truck to cave in on, these second genners died off more every yr..... i hate to ask but did you also go auto on us too !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

I am a salaried employee. I do receive a vehicle allowance and the company buys the fuel.

I guess that's better than nothing, traveling for work does suck. I drive 150 ml a day and just can't afford to not do it. I could get a local job but it will be very difficult to change budget. Biggest kick in nuts is there is hardly any appreciation, it's looked at as it should be this way, I could leave more healthy and on less money but would probably have to do it on my own, because some just have to keep up with the jonses.

48 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I guess that's better than nothing, traveling for work does suck. I drive 150 ml a day and just can't afford to not do it. I could get a local job but it will be very difficult to change budget. Biggest kick in nuts is there is hardly any appreciation, it's looked at as it should be this way, I could leave more healthy and on less money but would probably have to do it on my own, because some just have to keep up with the jonses.

I tok my first traveling about 37 years ago. Back then we did a job in town and then out of town. 300 miles away was huge. Now the co i work for is licensed in 35 states and 300 miles ain't nothing. I am close to not needing the money I make now and look forward coming home for a change.

As far as the Jones, screw em!

Sorry for the hijack, Tyler. To easy to do with this group.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 1:13 AM, NightHawk said:

Nice truck to cave in on, these second genners died off more every yr..... i hate to ask but did you also go auto on us too !

My 2nd gen isn't allowed to die. It tries, but I always manage to revive it!

Yes, I went with an auto :whistle2:

On 10/31/2017 at 5:53 AM, dripley said:

Sorry for the hijack, Tyler. To easy to do with this group.

No worries!

My Ppump is on its way back from Seth Farrell. I'm going to try and get it in this weekend and get an appointment setup to get the hail damage fixed. 

Link to the 4th gen thread: https://mopar1973man.com/topic/13184-tylers-4th-gen/?tab=comments#comment-164818

Here ya go @Mopar1973Man

Edited by TFaoro

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to update this - I got the pump in and it's 100% better. Everything seems to be running very smooth. The Pump's oil leak turned out to be a problem with the intermediate governor housing, so that was replaced. 

All seems good for now. Hopefully a cam and paint / bodywork coming soon

IMG_20171106_071655346.jpg.5e6e753303c64e103c3e7dfe0c6508ef.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Making some headway on the fuel system.

I bought a modified fuel module from Vulcan Performance - It seemed very high quality and went together well. I'll know it's all good when I fill it up, but for now it sucks fuel when there's only a gallon or so in the tank.

I've setup a pressure regulated return right after the injection pump using a Fuel Lab 525 regulator. Pricey, but seems to work well thus far. 

The pump is mechanical - that's all I'm going to say about it. 

I'll get some pictures up eventually.

I hope I won't be fighting breathers again, but it could be coming. Does anyone know a place to buy a 180 degree 3/4in hose union? Might need one. 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:48 AM, TFaoro said:

Making some headway on the fuel system.

I bought a modified fuel module from Vulcan Performance - It seemed very high quality and went together well. I'll know it's all good when I fill it up, but for now it sucks fuel when there's only a gallon or so in the tank.

I've setup a pressure regulated return right after the injection pump using a Fuel Lab 525 regulator. Pricey, but seems to work well thus far. 

The pump is mechanical - that's all I'm going to say about it. 

I'll get some pictures up eventually.

I hope I won't be fighting breathers again, but it could be coming. Does anyone know a place to buy a 180 degree 3/4in hose union? Might need one. 

Here is one piece of what you may need.

023-fbm1565.jpg

-12AN 180 Degree fitting

I cant find  the other end, a -12AN female to 3/4" hose barb, possibly a local hydraulic shop can make that?

So I'll give a little info on the fuel system before I send some pictures: 

Suction: I've got 1/2in line running from the vulcan module to a 100mic 1/2in pre filter. That hose runs up to the front of the truck and into the pump.

Pressure: On the pressure side the fuel runs out of the pump back near the tank (where the filters are mounted) and into the filters. I couldn't find another place to mount the filter, so lots of fuel line!

From the filters, the fuel runs back up the frame rail to dual feed for the p7100. 

On the return side, it comes out of the injection pump (3/8 line) into a Fuel Lab 525 series pressure regulator that's set at 44psi at idle.

I managed to get rid of the T fitting that hangs out at the back of the block. I replaced the line on the back of the block with a metal to rubber connection (again 3/8) and  ran the regulator / injector return into a 3/8 JIC T fitting (no more leaks there!!!)  It then runs from that T back to the tank. Tons of fuel line, but pressures are very stable!

4 hours ago, notlimah said:

Nice, I’ve been debating on just buying a fuel module from Eric just to solve my low fuel level issues. Glad to hear it’s working out for you.

As long as it seals up, I'll be satisfied. Hopefully I'll fill it today and find out. 

36 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Check flebay.

Nothing there, but Summit has some. 

Not cheap! https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-718013erl

5 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

Here is one piece of what you may need.

023-fbm1565.jpg

-12AN 180 Degree fitting

I cant find  the other end, a -12AN female to 3/4" hose barb, possibly a local hydraulic shop can make that?

That's because it would need to be a -12AN Male to hose barb :) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-670330

Thanks for finding that!