• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

It is truly hard to knock a Duramax as they are very good engine, I am more of an old inline diesel guy myself, if not for that I would not be looking away from a d-max.

Unless you start talking about LB7 injectors... Flawed design.

Pistons are going to be "Cummins cast marine pistons" per the machinist's words. He is going to mic everything today and order the rebuild kit. Then machining and polishing should start next week. Hopefully I get it back by next Friday.

My 3rd gen 05 CR has been a fraction the cost of my 02 24v to drive and maintain. Not nearly as many upgrades needed to keep them driving nice. :2cents:

Lots heavier frame, tighter body with less creaks and groans, heavier drive train, interior is a wash. Ease of maintenance I think is easier too. Less quirks overall. As far as the 5.9 overhaul they all would be a wash, the new 6.7 would be higher and labor would be more as well due to the extra emissions equipment and such.

I appreciate what you are saying. I am way off on this. I am trying to get away from CR because of the costs of parts and repairs. Looks like it all adds up regardless of the year, make, and model. TFaoro has presented a great post...lots of questions and good answers for everyone to read. Can't wait to see how the assembly turns out.

:wow:

Damn... That one expensive fence post tamper... I bet you could get Ford or Chevy cam for that job. :lol:

But the spooooool  :stirthepot:

Ok, on order tomorrow: Springs, pushrods, tappets, damper, studs, oil cooler, oil pump, rod bolts, thermostat, and a front seal with a wear sleeve (May talk to machine shop but doubt they ordered one with a sleeve.)

Now here's where I'm not sure. Do I take out the plastic piston cooling jets and replace them with billet ones fore reassurance, or say the heck with them and leave them in? What do you guys say?

I've been told by many that they aren't necessary and I'm just worried about nothing... I'm not so sure. If I put new ones in they are going to be billet aluminum, not plastic.

HVAC box is pretty much finished up. I just have to drop the new heater core in it with some foam and stuff it back into the truck.

IMG_20150615_224745_632_zpstxahth9m.jpg

Picked this up. Can anyone guess what it is?

IMG_20150615_221239_490_zpsthc2sxsx.jpg

IMG_20150615_221244_864_zpson5vgnar.jpg

• Staff

That's a coolant bye pass that goes on the backside of the block. I thought that was only an issue with the 3rd gen trucks...

I don't see how it would only be a 3rd gen issue when it's a issue based on pressure from rpms of the water pump. It is probably more prevalent in the HPCR or P7100 world due to the rpms capable but still an issue based on rpms/power and not generation, IMHO.

That being said I think one of the biggest issues is people romping on it before everything is warm and open.  

• Owner

That's a coolant bye pass that goes on the backside of the block. I thought that was only an issue with the 3rd gen trucks...

For also the 2nd gen trucks too. It needed so when owner forgets to change coolant and it rots out the rear plug that can bolt that on to resolve the issue. But if you change coolant and flush the block out on a regular basis there is no need for such a device.

Everyone is right! I bought it because I plan to do a coolant bypass in the future. The TST will be sent in and I should be able to turn 4k+ RPM when the shop is done with it. It's just another safety feature when making more HP with more RPMs!