• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing and tire chains

For light duty vehicles with good tires, I have always been of the opinion that if I need chains I shouldn't be making the trip.  Sofar, through CO, WY, UT, ND, SD, MT & NM oilfield travel in all weather, I haven't been wrong.  

However, I don't normally tow in the winter.  As an engineer, I didn't have to drive the 18 wheelers to location, and they were almost always chained on all drives, steers, and at least one set of drags.  I am going to have to tow my household home from AR to CO this winter (Jan-Feb).  I am on the fence if it would be a wise move to buy chains for my truck and the rear axle on my trailer.  Pix of trailer below.  The cost will be pretty steep for something I may only use once, and then perhaps not at all, especially as there aren't any real mountains between me and home.  I would use the chains as "get to a truck stop" chains only, not as I am going to slog through the last 300 miles at 30mph chains.  

Any experience here?  

I am looking at the below chains. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VAJ17M?colid=186EVLBXUUHHS&coliid=I2FLZMMGO3WLN5&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

PeBxjYs.jpg

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

How long would it take to drive in 'good' weather and could you hold off the move for a day or two until a good weather window opened that way you don't have to fool with chains.

I can wait as long as is reasonable...  I don't think my employer (who is responsible for the move) will complain much if it is blizzarding. It is a two day drive, and the nastiness usually lasts 3 days at the most.

• Owner

I would just base your travel on the weather. If the weather gets bad I would just hole up for the night or period of time till the storm passes. I would gear up the truck with everything you might need for just stopping along the highway.

As for chains the only time I use chains is if I'm going somewhere I really shouldn't. Most of the Idaho winters here I've travelled mostly in 2WD and towed smaller trailers snowmobile or a utility with a pair of ATV's. So like if I was to travel a unmaintained road say like up to Rex Bakers place which is 6 miles up a forestry road yeah I would be chaining up. Travelling down a typically maintained highway I would be in 2WD unless it was snow covered then most likely 4WD. Now towing that beast behind you that going to be a different story.

• Like 1

• Staff

You said

45 minutes ago, CSM said:

I would use the chains as "get to a truck stop" chains only, not as I am going to slog through the last 300 miles at 30mph chains.  

Save your money and use it for a warm motel if you need to. it's better that staying in a cold truck stop

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

If you plan on spending a lot of time in the high rockies then maybe it would be a good investment, but beyond that I rarely see a need,

Yes, but on snowshoes.  

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I carry chains in my trucks because of where I live. Have I used them? Not really. It nice to know you have a fall back plan. Being there is a lack of cell service who are you going to call? I've got to be responsible for me and the vehicle.

Ghostbusters

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, joecool911 said:

Here in Oregon you need chains on each axle. I've seen snowmobilers with big covered trailers on the mountain passes before. Bet it's a bit of a white nuckle affair. 

I was just going to bring up Oregon chain laws. If chains are required and you are towing you are required to chain the trailer. I have driven MANY MANY roads in the winter (with and without a trailer) where chain are required but the roads are not bad enough to wait a day or two, or more. Luckily in a 4wd vehicle with all season/traction tires you are not required to chain up in Idaho/Washington. In Oregon you don't have to unless you are towing, as mentioned. 

DOT's will make, and keep, the interstates at chains required when it's not needed for most. Over thanksgiving we passed thru the Blue's on I-84 just a couple hours after the chains required was removed. We never locked the hubs and never got below 50 mph, except going down Cabbage. What the DOT mandates and what is required are often not lined up. 

I carry 3 pairs of chains in my truck all winter, 2 pair of V-Bar and 1 pair of standard links, but have never had to use them on a paved roadway. I carry one pair of chains year round in the truck as they work great in mud too. I also have a set of drag chains for the TT that lives in the TT or truck year round. 

Chain are cheap, buy a set even if you plan on never using them. In some cases it may be cheaper to have chains that to get a ticket for not chaining. 

• Like 2

• Staff
4 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

Set required for each axle of trailer.

Not per Oregon DOT. 

A tandem axle trailer can have chains on one axle as long as it has brakes, i.e. cannot chain up the non-brake axle if you have one of each. 

https://tripcheck.com/Pages/minimum-chain-requirements.asp

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_700/oar_734/734_017.html

Edited by AH64ID