• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Icy roads

I'm not sure what would be scarier, losing control on the freeway or realizing that you are sitting still-broad sided on the freeway.  I watched this happen to a car next to me last weekend.  We were coming down a cold canyon on a clear day.  As soon as we hit the bridge the other car lost control and went off the road and tipped on its side.  It doesn't take too much ice to make you lose control.  Certainly more entertaining to watch than experience. 

• Staff

I've done a bit of a study on local accidents and typically find the person in the pick up truck fairs much better than otherwise. However, we truck drivers have a greater responsibility for safety just like the big riggers out there.

• Like 1

• Owner

Absolutely. Our diesel truck could flatten a Smart Car or Pirus without much effort. These tiny light weight cars are not that strong. They are build with economy in mine so everything is lighter, thinner, less metal, less structure... All in the name of fuel economy. Like just quick search for Smart Car weight its only 1,800 pounds. Majority of the weight is the fuel, engine and transmission. That leaves very little to the structure of the vehicle.

Heck even the little Dodge Pickup I drove yesterday I think it was a Dakota. Take about light weight truck. Same body design but smaller and lighter in standard cab design. Too me it felt a bit thin and marginal for safety. On the ice it was nearly worthless nothing enough weight to gain traction.

Now you step up to my beast and newer your talking about nearly 4 tons of rolling missile. Steel frame, heavy duty everything, etc. We've got better protection that most hybrids or economy vehicles. Still a accident involving a 18 wheeler might be deadly still but we got a much better chance of survival.

Being I'm certified for extrication for the Fire Department I've had my fair share of cutting people out of vehicles. Typically the economy vehicles are pretty gruesome. Most of the full size pickup fair better and some haven't. Just depends on the circumstance of the accident.

• Like 1

• Staff

Yep people that drive aggressively need to see some of the damage it does to the human body. Some of the problem too is they feel comfortable and isolated from the elements when they drive and don't realize how much a little more speed will impact their cabin.... becoming a body crusher like vise.

Technology has changed when it comes to crashes. Remember, the old adage of steel behind you. But now the focus is on how to divert the kinetic energy of the crash around you. No longer relying on just cold steel to prevent damage.

By employing crush points, a vehicle in essence can be crushed all around you to take up the energy from the crash. That's why you get to use a can opener more often now.

A vehicle is going to be totaled more often then not now because of this very reason.

There are a lot of factors in a crash when it comes to survivability.  The law of gross weight and momentum  always dominates.  Truck vs unloaded semi is similar to compact vs truck.  

I don't have much faith in any vehicle in a bad crash though.  The frames and cabs in our trucks are not designed to protect us to a degree that say a cage and full harness would.  

• Owner
1 hour ago, dripley said:

I dont think anything would have helped the vehicle in that crash.

Yeah there is... That little SUV could of slowed down and just stayed in the right lane and never lost control. I've watch tons of this kind of Youtubes 99% of all accidents are people traveling to fast for conditions. So here is mister Semi driver minding his own business, here comes "I'm in Hurry SUV Driver" bouncing off the other delievery truck and into the path of mister Semi.

I still see out here with completely snow cover or black ice highways watching little cars attempting to hold speed limit.

slideoff.jpg

• Like 1

I was speaking mainly of the impact. Once he got in that stuff in the middle of the road he was done. I am fortunate and dont have to drive in the snow and ice much. But when I do i let the idiots by. Dont even want to be near them when the slip up happens. You never no when someone is going to suck you up in there stupidity. He almost got the box in the middle of it.