• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another battery thread.....

Group 27 is probably OEM for your truck.  Group 34 is a little smaller around than 27 but I believe taller.  Group 65 is the best CCA and RC but wont fit under most 2nd gen tray hold down brackets.  I had to modify mine only because I wanted the RC of the group 65. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

After 8 years of service the 850cca the interstate batteries in the truck it was time to replace. due to age I replaced them with the same batteries last year as the truck was starting to turn over slower then normal in the cold, Those batteries went into my dads 3500. they are still working but he doesn't daily drive the truck anymore these days. They are now 10 years old. I think they will finally give up the ghost this coming winter.:wts:

Just put a pair of Interstates in mine too. The one in my 300M is over 9 years old and still very strong. Advance Gold ones they replaced only went 2 years with the same maintenance. Of course they won't warranty them because they put out 400A, less than half their rating. Never again...........

Interstates and OE batteries are the only batteries I can get to last more than a couple years.

Wife's 05 suburban still has the factory acdelco.

6 year old interstate in her car.

8 year old deep cycle interstate in the 1958 John Deere.

4 year old interstates in the cummins. 

Carquest in the 68 F100 died in less than two years and it only lived outside in the summer. 

Group 27 Deka didn't last two years in my plow truck. Replaced it with one of the old half wore out interstates from the cummins, and works fine after 2 years. 

A Motorcraft from my brothers 07 powerstroke gets rotated through various other "yard art" and still has plenty of power. 

You guys might have sold me on interstates. I totally forgot my 99 has interstates in them and I can't tell you how long they've been in there, but I know it's been a long time. Problem for me is that both trucks need batteries at the same time so we're talkin buku bucks!

Is there really a big difference between 810 and 850 CCAs? I might just shell out the extra 40 bucks a battery and go with mega-tron plus at 810 CCAs, what do you guys think?

• Owner

Just remember gang don't get all wrapped up with brand names. There are only 3 companies that produce batteries. That being said more than likely there are several brands that are just relabelled by that same manufacturer. 

18 hours ago, notlimah said:

there really a big difference between 810 and 850 CCAs?

Just remember the stock batteries are 750 CCA. Anything above is a bonus. But... It won't do a lick of good if the cables or the starter are up to the task. You can have 2,000 CCA worth of batteries and bad cables, terminals, and weak starter and still have troubles starting. 

• Like 1

I agree with Mike in that its equally important to have everything else up to snuff.....not just batteries.

Interstate or whatever brand you opt for, my only avenue for choosing 65's was not so much the added 200 combined CCA but rather the reserve capacity.  The RC is an important role in how much "true" capacity a battery has to offer and how much depletion that battery will undertake during events like repeated grid heater cycles.  Plus I felt there must be a reason the 3rd gens used 65's.

Its a well understood issue that if someone lives in a cold climate and uses their truck for repeated quick trips during the day, the grid heaters will make short work of the battery capacity as the grids will perform a pre-heat and running cycle every time you start the truck below 60* ambient.  So allowing the charging system ample time to replenish the battery bank is best to offer the best battery reliability.

Just food for thought..... :thumbup2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notlimah said:

Thanks Mike. I put all brand new cables late last year so that shouldn't be an issue. Starters still probabaly oem but haven't had any indications it's on the way out.

I would suggest some preventative maintenance on that starter if it is the original starter and you have 100K on the truck.  For the 45 minute job and $30 worth of contacts it is super easy to pull the starter, replace the contacts and be good to go for another 100K...I wish I would have done that before it left me stranded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawkez said:

I would suggest some preventative maintenance on that starter if it is the original starter and you have 100K on the truck.  For the 45 minute job and $30 worth of contacts it is super easy to pull the starter, replace the contacts and be good to go for another 100K...I wish I would have done that before it left me stranded.

Is there a rebuild kit for this? Or do I just get some new contacts from NAPA? Wonder if I would just be better off replacing the starter all together? I'm not sure if it's OEM or not, just assuming, but if it is, it has around 175k worth of starts on it.

I'll probably go with the group 65s again and just modify my battery tray to make them fit.

• Staff

I chose to go for lifetime warrantee on rebuilt starters. I'm on my second free starter now with a total of 4 starters on my old first gen truck.:clap: Current free one has been flawless for about 4 years now.

• Like 1