• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 fluid no longer produced.

Interesting. I wonder why it broke.... Those shafts should last a lifetime with a hefty safety factor.

Big torque wrenches are awesome! We've got a 3/4" drive that goes to 600 ft-lb. Hardest part is holding the transmission down while torquing. 

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Generated torque of the Cummins. That is the only reason I can give....

I wish I could see the fracture surface in virgin form.... I've been studying how / why fracture occurs on certain surfaces in my advanced machine design class. 

When are you going to have her up and moving again?? Hoping to have mine rolling tonight :stirthepot: 

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Today... Just got to stab the transmission in...

Awesome! Hopefully it's a smooth stick :thumbup2: 

Might talk to you about getting some close-up pics of the shaft if you don't mind.

Edited by TFaoro

• Owner

Better look... According to Abe its been cracked for awhile and the stress of the last trailer run is what finished it off. Still think its rather funny I never had a 5th gear nut issue once but broke the main shaft. Not at the input like most do but at the other end.

DSCF3687.JPG

Perfect fatigue failure.  Notice the smoother quadrant from 6 oclock to 9.  (and also looks like a small point around 5.)  that is where the failure started.  most likely from a machining mark at the diametral change.  The smoothness comes from it being loaded and unloaded as it rotates.  The less smooth area is where it moved faster or fatigued but not as long.  The really rough areas are where it "tore" as it catastrophically failed. 

The smear at 12 o'clock is damage after it failed.  Right under that looks to be the roughest so was the last thread still together and failed.  It is so hard to tell from a picture though...  If you have a loupe or a really good magnifying glass take a look around the edges, you may see the very beginning of the starburst....  the beginning of the failure. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Surprise!

I got the transmission lifted up and stabbed in just under 2 hours by myself. I got every installed once again. I just got to install the front drive shat and the interior. While doing the interior I'm going to dump a gallon of fluid right down the shift tower. Lot easier than pumping it in the side hole. More pictures to come on how I did all this.

• Staff

Isn't a 50wt a LOT thinner oil?

Doesn't seem like an improvement in a transmission... but that's my 0.02. Maybe I am missing something. 

IIRC guys use the Delvac 50 in the G56 to get an oil that is between the standard GL-4 in the NV4500 and the ATF from the factory. 

It probably wont hurt anything, but seems odd at an initial glance. 

I never worried about mail order on things you have to replace every 50K miles, or more... just seems like an excuse and nothing more. Besides I could have gotten you the amsoil 5 gallon pail for $20 less to your door.. tax and shipping included. So which oil is the expensive one?

At least you have enough oil for another 200K miles :-)

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Use a little "Ultra Gray Silicone" on the leaking bolt it will seal right up.

I used some ultra grey on one of my head studs that was trying to push oil out of it, that was 5 years ago, still good. 

• Like 1

• Owner

I got it all done and installed just before 4pm. Did my strap trick again. Worked good. So two ratchet straps to lift it off the floor.

DSCF6935.JPG

Then once I was able to roll the floor jack under it. Take notice to the ratchet strap over the top tied to the pivot of the jack. Ended up being the perfect angle to install. Still kept the other two ratchet straps as safety just in case.

DSCF6937.JPG

As for cleaning up everything I found a degreaser that is super strong. Be careful using it on aluminum it will blacken the aluminum if left on too long. 3,000 PSI power washer blew the junk right off.

DSCF6940.JPG

DSCF6939.JPG

As for the transmission shifts good. Really tight and notchy for the first few rows through the gears. After about 15 miles it smoothed right right out.

• Like 4

Good job there Mikey. I used a floor jack for my 5600 but did not think about extra straps for safety. I was very nervous with that thing sitting up so high. Found a HF tanny jack for the second time for 1/2 price on craigs list.