• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Recommendations for U-Joints?

the spicer non grease joints are drilled just a hair to fit more grease in. they are inherently stronger than the spicer greasable as those are drilled through plus the nipple hole (makes them weaker) but they are still tough as hell.

i go spicer products all the time, dana makes them and have so for many years.

• Staff

Here is another question... Why run a weaker product when a stronger, and generally longer lasting, product is available for a negligble price difference? 

I've never broken a greaseable u-joint, buts it's hard to break something I don't use. 

Once ce we turn the power up the OEM u-joints become undersized. A little added strength isn't bad. 

The he new trucks with 850-900 lb/ft run 1550 series u-joints. How many of us has that much torque to the ground? How many of those run bigger u-joints? 

Edited by AH64ID

Not sure what brand as the joints on mine were in there from the PO.

I've never broken a U joint of either type.

I'm putting well over 1200 ft-lbs to the ground on stock sized joints. My brother is putting well over 700HP to the ground on stock joints. Neither of us have had an issue with our greasable joints.

Being in multiple design classes, the drilled out portion of the U joint decreases strength by very little. Almost all of the strength comes from the outside portion of the joint.

I've snapped plenty of axle shafts on my trail rig, or broke the ears off the yoke, but the cheapo greaseable joint is just fine. 

Now when I replace axle joints on my pickup, I'll pony up for the sealed spicers since they are a pain to replace and grease. Driveshaft U joints I get the cheaper ones,easy to replace and service. 

I broke one decades ago, but it was a smaller series on a higher HP gas truck.  Yes, breaking a u-joint is going to be very uncommon but I couldn't say if u-joint deflection was ever a variable in trunnion wear or why yoke ears break.  Who knows..... :think:

And yes, the most strength lost is in the zerk hole whereby installing them with the twisting force pushing on the hole rather than pulling on it is important.

Other than that.....I dont buy garbage parts because its cheap or the only thing they have. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Everyone has their opinions! As long as it works for you, who cares right?

Until we're talking about a truck someone picked up used.  Then.....we all care what the PO did. :whistle:

• Like 2

I just got new ones put in my rear driveshaft. The shop I went to does a lot of work on bigger trucks I believe. They recommend either Spicer or Neapco. They said the neapco are just as good as the spicer and they only had greasable neapcos in stock so that's what I went with. I like greasable parts because I know I will grease them. That place told me cheaper ones are not made to as tight of tolerances and sometimes don't fit right in the yokes.

• Like 1