• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First Time Towing!

• Staff

Isn't it a good feeling to have what you worked on perform the way it should when needed.   Sounds like you're ready for a long haul now.  

1 hour ago, leathermaneod said:

Either there is something wrong with my brake controller, or the trailers brakes are just worn. We could hear the brakes activating, but they didn't help much. I couldn't lock them up at all.

I'd put money on the trailer brakes being out of adjustment.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, notlimah said:

I still haven't figured out the trick on my truck to get into 4L without grinding gears at least once! :doh:

My dad always had issues with his 93' Cummins w/auto trans, getting in and out of 4x4. Not sure what it is about some trucks. Do you stop completely and shift to neutral?

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

I try and do it as close to what the owners manual says. Slow to a creep (2-3mph) then neutral, then 4L. Most the time it's no issue going into 4L but going back to 2H it'll grind a little.

I stop when i go between high and low range and in park. If its onry, i try neutral.  

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

image.jpg

Or brute force and anger.  Works for me.  The big thing is allowing the dogs to slowly rotate if mis aligned, which rules out having the truck in drive.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

^^ Auto people :rolleyes:

How am i supposed to shift while texting?  

When i had my 5sp, i would shuttle through the gears with the clutch in to re align the dogs if it needed it.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

• Staff
6 hours ago, notlimah said:

I try and do it as close to what the owners manual says. Slow to a creep (2-3mph) then neutral, then 4L. Most the time it's no issue going into 4L but going back to 2H it'll grind a little.

Generally grinding out of 4L means there is some binding internal to the xcase. It could mean you're driving in 4wd on surfaces with too much traction. 

I'd have to check the fluid. I don't use 4wd often enough to worry too much about it, but with winter around the corner, the TC and front diff fluid will get changed just to be on the safe side.

When I was using 4L I was coming up out of a pretty decent ditch with my utility trailer hooked up. It went into 4L in the dirt no problem. It was trying to get it back into 2H on the pavement where I had issues so maybe the traction bit was the issue.

leathermaneod, glad you had a chance to pull around some weight, and I'm glad it went well.  I'm guessing you had around 7k - 8k combined in tow, depending.

notlimah, autos have to be in neutral, manuals clutch in or in neutral, then barely rolling forward you should be able to shift into lo range without any grinding.  You cant be moving very fast and not moving can result in everything not aligning easily.  Its not the smoothest transition but it shouldn't sound ugly either.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 3