• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Goodbye Edge Comp, Hello Quadzilla Adrenaline

Mopar1973Man

12 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

IMHO 300-350° is too hot for an oil cooled turbo. 250-275° is better. 

Can you get yours to cool off that much in 100* weather? I've literally let mine idle 10 min and it'll still be sitting right about 300. If the A/C is on it doesn't go below 330. During the summer I leave my turbo timer at 330 because it simply doesn't cool off any further. Winter I set it at 300.

BTW for those looking at the quad it doesn't shut down until egts hit 10* below your set point. 

• Staff

Yes I can. With the blankets it takes a little longer. 

My current turbo is water cooled but it will get that cool on a 100° day too. I have pre/post pyros and am amazed how much longer it takes post to cool off. I go for 350° post on shutdown now. It's not uncommon to see 275° pre and 550° post after a min of idling after a tow. 

Mine will come down to 275* but I have never shot for that. I shoot for 350 sometimes 375 and shut it down. If I am towing it takes a little while. But when I am stopping for fuel or any other reason I just slow it down and take it easy down the ramp or into the rv park or just let it idle when I park and check in. I dont seem to have to wait long to get the temp down. When I bought the truck one of the service techs took a little time with me to explain turbo cool down and a few other things with me since it was my first diesel. It was appreciated.

One thing I wish I would have known a long time ago is about play in the turbo. I never checked mine till after joining here with over 225k on the truck. I checked it then and had no play, axial or in and out. I still have no play to this day. I can flick the wheel with my finger and it spins several revs but dont know how many it should spin. I guess I am still some what ignorant about these things. Not really sure how much that has to do with anything just thought I would put it out there.

Just did a few legs of our honeymoon trip, cabover camper loaded and doing 55 most of the way always on lvl3

first leg was pure highway but with 30-50 mph headwinds......sucked, but still managed to get 13.4 mpg.  

Next leg the wind let up mostly, very little flat ground, mostly hills and increasing and decreasing speeds from 35 to 55 mph, 14.6 mpg. 

Most recent leg was a lot flatter and much less wind,  mostly 55 mph and netted 16.7 mpg. 

I need to find a walmart or somplace that sells a pool noodle to jam between the cab and the camper to try and keep air from getting jammed in there.  

I am not complaining in the least bit.  

Anyone want to see TM at work?

Run1.PNG

Note the far right field in yellow.   Looks like 25 mph is the magic number for TM.  You can see the ecm commanding fuel at 4-8 mph that is normal, then it gets cut, even though TP shasn't changed, then once 25 mph is reached fueling is allowed.  

guess what.......we can override TM without much hassle.  Give me a little time to do some comparing to my truck's fueling message offidle and I will get something in place to negate TM.

I think I asked this already but I can't find it to verify but......

Can you apply these custom tunes to the xzt module? Obviously the fuel tap tunes and turbo timer type stuff is off the table but any canbus tuning and non-wire tap stuff, could that be custom tuned with all this new software? Or if anything, is it on the table for future upgrades?