• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Goodbye Edge Comp, Hello Quadzilla Adrenaline

Mopar1973Man

• Owner
24 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Very interesting Mike. I know you have upgraded injectors and possible turbo.... would  a stock engine  benefit  with Quadzilla too?

I would say yes on a general upgrade. Being you do have better control over timing and fueling looking at the setting for Quadzilla Adrenaline over Edge products. Being this factors are available I've got to learn on how to make the most of the settings now where with Edge most of this pre-set by them take it or leave it. Still looking at what Edge Comp provides it not a bad a bad module if I've been reaching 27.2 MPG as a high mark but now to see if I bet that. 

20 minutes ago, dripley said:

I wish I had this option when I bought my comp. It would have been nice for a comparison. I have been following the threads on the Quad and it sure does look good. Be interested in how it works out for you.

Time will tell. I do see some bonuses for some of my local customers that are business guys that have crews driving the trucks. If you have a Edge Juice the tuner is right there and everyone always plays with it. With Quadzilla (Bluetooth) you can set it all up and no one would know the tuner is there. The only wire that goes to the cab is a red/white for ignition power. Everything else is under the hood. 

Like some other thing about the Quadzilla I like. I'm extremely impressed with the simple wiring. When you open the box and lay it all out and look at it. Looks rather intimidating with the big connector and lots more wires. Really its very very simple. Like I'm impressed with the turbo cool down timer function and how the tuner uses the existing power leads to back feed the ignition leg to hold the engine running. Very clever design that doesn't require the owner to tap the ignition leads in the column. Like I said the only wire that comes in the cab is a red/white to the fuse panel. Everything else is kept under the hood. So comparing the Edge Comp where the module is in the cab kind of nice but lots of stuff to poke through the firewall.  

Now comparing between them. Both got CAN Bus connector, both got MAP sensor connectors, both got wire taps connections, both require power except the Quadzilla requires two power connection one to the battery and one to the ignition. Of course they need a ground connection. As for the Quadzilla Adrenaline extras there is the pyrometer, fuel pressure and transmission/oil temp sensor. So when you look at it yeah it look like a lot more but really not by much. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Following this with great interest! I've been reading the other articles on the tuning from @Me78569 and @TFaoro and thinking that I should really have got the quad instead of the comp. Especially since I'm after mostly mpgs and clean power. Just really sucks that I just left the smarty for the comp a few months ago. Now what quad really needs is some sort of program where they give guys credit towards the purchase of the quad when they trade in their comp or other current box :whistle:

• Staff

I was down at Source Automotive the other day looking at the burned pistons on display. They said it was caused by too much advance timing. Is there a way to limit the advance or does it have to do with the driver watching exhaust temperatures? Don't know much about this.

The first tune I sent mike was a little lazy down low.  We are trying another one with more fuel low and less fuel high.  This should round out things some.  Keep egts in check and give some more bottom end.

As for Mike's mpg tune, I am sure a few mpg can be gained by making it lazy down low.  This will get the truck higher into the timing map without fuel.

Spencer over at quad has gotten the app developer involved at this point to sort out the communication bug.  Once that is taken care of all these tuning changes can be done by the user in the truck on the fly.  You an do this now but there are no promises that the settings will stick lol.

Edited by Me78569

Good to hear it's a mutually beneficial relationship. I'm sure you'll love just how clean the box is without having to drive like there's an egg under your foot.

If you want to go crazy someday, I've got a 4K box sitting here collecting dust.

• Like 1

• Staff

Sounds exciting!!

It's a external module, right? So no reprogram of the ECM?

How does that effect the readout of your mileage/hp/tq on the OBDLink. It seems everytime the fuel/timing/etc is changed the OBDLink would need to be adjusted to be accurate.

It would be nice to see you hit a dyno for actual hp numbers. (You should know that adding up the power adders for horsepower is NEWB-101 right???) Most aftermarket power adders advertise rwhp gains anyhow. 

Edited by AH64ID

The HP meter is nothing more than a very vague comparision.  We are purely looking to compare the driveablity of the Edge vs Quad, that's it......

I would love to compare the Canbus message to tell us exactly how much fuel is being asked for but Edge does not display that info so we cannot make that comparison. 

Lets not forget, there is nothing new in the HP wars for a 2nd gen truck.  Who cares how much power it makes.?   They are both wiretap boxes.  We can assume the Quad makes more power on a stock truck due to the prior dynos, but beyond that it is unimportant.  Even a Dyno is going to read different from test to test.  There is nothing exact about it and it doesn't need to be.    Even if it was we would only have this useless number when you are talking about how a truck drives on the road.

So lets throw out all the HP / TQ talk.  

So lets keep this purely limited to driveablity and not hp or torque.    

Things we can compare, is

1. smoke output comparison

- Offidle smoke

- WOT Smoke

2. How much throttle pressure do you need

- Do you get full useable throttle range?

- Are you able to use the full range of the throttle vs before?

3.  How does the butt dyno respond?

- This is valid as that DIRECTLY influence the "drivablity" of the truck.  

- Where does the edge feel mor epeppy compared to the quad?  Are you able to tune the quad at the cost of smoke if you wanted to?

4. What kind of MPG can be had with the Quad vs the Edge

- towing MPG 

-Unloaded MPG

- IAT temp MPG vs the fueling message and timing

-More aggressive timing advancement settings vs MPG

I think the goal of 30 mpg is a good thing to try for, it might not get 50 like a VW, but for us guys who DD the truck because we need or want to a few MPG difference is a large % bump.    

I know I gained ~2 mpg with the tune.  That 2 mpg is a signficant savings when you consider the trips I take my truck on.

So lets keep this all related to how the truck drives rather than how much power it may or may not make.  I am not going to throw it on a dyno because it would be a waste of money to figure out what we already know.

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Sounds exciting!!

It's a external module, right? So no reprogram of the ECM?

This is a piggy pack system  

Edited by Me78569

5 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

Let me know when you get 20 mpg @ 65 mph with oh say lets go really easy and have a 7500 lb trailer behind then you will have my attention.

Trying to high mark mpgs with a pickup that's being driven like a car justs says park me and buy a VW TDI and be done with it.:think::lol3::backtotopic:

You're kidding right??

I agree with Nick. No need to worry about HP / Torque. As long as it pulls your trailer as good as it did before, there's no point. 

Drivability is key, and considering I could drive very smoke free with 300s Mike should be able to make his as clean as it was from the factory with 50s.

• Like 2

• Owner

Just got done doing a new tune and need to clean up the launch fueling down low just a bit smoky launch of from coasting to WOT. So @Me78569 is building another tune to clean it up a bit. Then we'll build the wire tap profile next. 

As for flashing with Ubuntu Linux it's working just fine using VirtualBox forwarding the USB port to Windows 7. So Linux users do have a solution using Oracle's VirtualBox and can flash your Quadzilla just fine. 

Lets not forget those guys running windows 10 could do a virtual box of a windows xp machine and do the same thing,  The flasher program works better on older machines. 

HOWEVER once the app bug is fixed there will no longer be a need for this.  The tuning is all done on the fly on the phone.

• Like 1