• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors

x2 on cross over tubes. First time I did injectors I didn't have a torque wrench and crows foot and I cranked those nuts tight, no leaks. 2nd time doing injectors, I had torqued to spec and had leaks at the nuts on some of the connections, even after over tightening. Replaced the cross over tubes with new, torque to spec and no sealing issues. 

Don't give up @hex0rz, you'll get it! 

Great, last night i hit all the nuts with Teflon tape. Hope i can at least go just today, before i can take them off after getting home from work...

ALL of the lines leaked this time after polishing them up. I didn't use a torque wrench that time. It didn't seem to matter anyways...

I kind of feel like this has been contributing to my poor fuel mileage too.

I called the local junker and they don't sell steel lines. Dunno where i could get a stock set. Maybe the stealership? Boy i bet i would PAY too. 

Also, it's not leaking from the line area between the nut and line. It's coming out of the nut and head thread area. When i got the rv275s, i replaced the o rings on the tubes too. Even though i had just put new ones on when i got my rebuilt injectors back. 

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

so what is the torque set supposed to be on the high pressure lines? Thanks.

28 ft pound

Edited by hex0rz

Just got to work, all the lines are BONE DRY! Teflon tape worked...

So what is it, the tubes then? I will say that i have noticed that the o rings don't seem to have as much of a positive lock as they did before. They snap in easy as compared to other times. I dunno just talking aloud here...

The nuts dont really seal anything they just apply pressure to the mating surfaces of the crossover tube and high pressure line to form the seal. Surprised the tape worked but happy for you.

As hard as the steel is in my cross over tubes it blows my mind they wear out, but I guess every thing has life span. I have had my lines off 4 or 5 times and the only time I had trouble was after an injector install. I did however tighten the injectors first and them the fuel lines. Never could stop the leakage until I reversed the install and then it stopped. I will be putting some new injectors very soon and hopefully I will not have the problems you are having.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, hex0rz said:

Do you want pictures that bad?

If they ain't leaking you could not pay me enough money to take them back a part. Maybe just taking them apart and putting them back together got them to seal properly. Don't know. 

• Like 1

Normally teflon would bother me. If you just put the tape on the threads for the nuts to screw on then it is outside of the fuel system. The threads on those nuts do not seal anything. They allow the nut to apply pressure to the fuel line and seal it to the connector tube. The treads are more like a bolt and nut thread and not tapered like a fuel line fitting. The threads do not make the seal.

All that being said if changing them out gives you more peace of mind by all means do it. $150 is not a lot money for peace of mind.

Just my :2cents: worth. 

• Like 3

• Owner

I think the leak was pooled fuel in the outside of the tube that was expanding out. This is way the tape made it stop weeping. If he drove it for few days and then power washed it I bet it would of been stopped any ways. If you got 4,000 to 20,000 PSI i hardly doubt a little Teflon tape is going to keep that pressure from leaking. This why I say it was just pooled fuel and it was just expanding out.  

• Like 1

Going to be doing my first injector job so I've been following this thread for information.  I got new o-rings for my tubes last week from a local Cummins dealer and noticed today on DAP's website stating:

Please note that some 98.5 trucks will need connector tubes. If your engine serial number is lesser than 56462598, you will be required to purchase them or your new injectors will not seal properly

I wonder why a 98.5 truck is different from the rest?  My ESN is 56423804 so I guess I'll be needing to order new tubes.

------------------

EDIT:    TSB 14-01-98 REV.A answers my question.  Ordering new tubes for cheap insurance. :wink:

Edited by sooxies