• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mean While on Hoth....

18 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Image may contain: car and outdoor

This is why The Walking Dead was set in Atlanta.  If it had been set in North Dakota, it would have been quite different.  

"I can't believe old farmer Noordquist was so fresh!  But once I lit him up with the cattle prod, he quieted right down!  He has been actin kinda strange this winter since Mrs Noordquist died... but you know since that accident in siventy-too, and you know with all those big royalty checks coming in... I guess he is entitled to act a bit strange."  And that would be the end of the outbreak.  

Edited by CSM

• Owner

That be labelled snow is Rural Areas in the upper panel. Then labelled snow in Big Cities in the lower panel. Just my ride home looking at all the slid off vehicles, tell tales of slide offs, a good segment of a concrete barricade rolled off the highway, etc. Then you leave I84 and get on US95 there isn't any slide offs. US95 highway was in much better condition than the interstate was. 

• Owner
23 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

Whats funny is they will shut down the big city schools before the rural schools.:doh:

So flipping true. Up here at home the bus driver will drive in all the weather types. Snow, rain, wind, etc. Sitting in MoparMom hospital room watching the Boise local new and in the bottom of the screen rolling was of all the CLOSED schools. Boise got barely 2 foot of snow in places. Nothing compared to the 3-4 foot in New Meadows, ID. This morning it's only -17*F here in New Meadows. Here at the house down canyon it +9*F. Still amazes me the highway quality up here is 10 times better than what Boise, Nampa, and Caldwell all can do. Funny how big cities turn into total chaos with a little snow but rural folks deal with all the time and its no problem and it can become 8-12 foot deep and everything comtinues.

Local ski resort... Snow depths for now up here.

https://brundage.com/on-the-mountain/winter/snow-report/

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff

I think its because so many more kids and higher numbers of vehicles in a big town.

Where you live Mike you might wait an hour for someone to finally come along and help but in the big city just wait 10 seconds and someone will bump you out. :cummins:

• Owner

3 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Where you live Mike you might wait an hour for someone to finally come along and help but in the big city just wait 10 seconds and someone will bump you out.

Kind of right...I might wait an hour to get pulled out of a bad spot. In Boise I was looking at vehicles stuck for DAYS in the center median of the interstate. Same vehicle was there Jan 3 when I went down and still sitting there after the storm Jan 5th when I went home. 

The difference is people up here actually care for other human beings where everyone in the cities are too much of hurry to make it to work on time or home on time to watch the sports. So people have a mind set of don't worry 911 will handle his problem.  Again up here people realize it dangerous and deadly to leave anyone walking the highway or strainded so I will gladly pickup people to take them to town for cell service or help or attempt to pull there vehicles out. 

• Like 1

When I was plowing snow for the state full time up on the passes, still do it on a temporary basis, but if a vehicle is even left close to the roadway, and considered a hazard we will call state patrol dispatch on the radio and they will have it removed by the next wrecker on rotation and it's usually gone within a couple hours. 

With a 12' front plow and 9' side wing  and poor visibility, don't leave much room for error, If thier not stuck do to a slide off it's usually skiers or snowboarders who leave thier vehicle to go hike up the mountain. But with plenty of warning signs about parking some just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Wild and Free said:

Vehicles get removed from interstate ditches and medians within a day or two due to them being snow catches and will cause another snow blockage across the roadway if the wind blows.

Your snow sound a lot like Wyoming, It never melts but just gets wore out from blowing around.

3 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

This ones for you Dripley.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

I dont know about the panic room but grocery store shelves will look like they do in the Walking Dead. Never have figured out the panic people get into. Even home the main roads will be open in a day or two. I dont remember any panic while growing up when it snowed more down our way, Just anticipation for the snow to come. Much easier to deal with it when you're only 10.

My office in Atlanta is already shutdown schools all closed and everyone is headed home. I lived there back in late 80's and early 90's. They used to wait to the last minute to close anything and dump 750k people onto the streets. That was a disaster. Now there are near 4 million people there. I dont blame them for cutting out early. That is just another reason I do not miss living there. 

22 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Thats a TINY tractor.  Is it peddle powered? :cheers:

lol no, i love this little tractor, or glorified lawn mower with out the mower deck. has 3 point hitch, and small bucket. 4' wide. it GREAT for doing driveways. gravel, snow. I have a gannon and blade for the 3 point. it's just a great little tractor.

i use it to load logs into my truck, but have to be careful as to how much weight is in the bucket and the rear tires come off the ground. it's mitigated some with the gannon though.

it has a 3cylinder yanmar engine. it's a lot faster then the snow blower, and not had cumbersome as the bigger machines.

• Like 1

• Staff

I want one of those JD's for the property! Maybe someday. 

Speaking of Hoth...

Until last night the coldest we had seen living here, since 2005, was -8°. Last night got to -18° at the house and tonight passed that up with vengeance. The "warm" wet front is already moving in with more snow (snow to start tomorrow midday and bring 6-12" over 36 hours). Up to a warm -19° now. 

IMG_8394.JPG

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

Friend of mine who grew up here and now currently lives in Cleburne texas south of fort worth was giving me crap about the snow and cold last week saying it was 70* down there but karma bit him in the butt as he just sent me a text showing it currently @-2 haha welcome to our world, was minus 20's all across the area here last night as well.

• Staff

Well the weathermen were wrong, weird, and the warmup didn't start until 3 am. We got to -27° at the house at midnight, and it was -15° when I left for work. 

The truck coolant was -11° and it started, slowly, and was quite angry for a few seconds. I would have plugged it in but I repurposed the extension cord to heat the pipes in the garage, and didn't want to go dig in the shop for another one with it that cold out. I think I'll put the grid heater back in when it warms up a little.