• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P0216 - Sad but true...

• Owner

I just realized that I'm already for a tappet cover gasket install. I'll have the VP44 out and just got to pull the ECM and filter and install. I've already got the gasket laying on the workbench in the shop. I guess I better have my camera ready as well and refresh a VP44 install article and tappet gasket install.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I just realized that I'm already for a tappet cover gasket install. I'll have the VP44 out and just got to pull the ECM and filter and install. I've already got the gasket laying on the workbench in the shop. I guess I better have my camera ready as well and refresh a VP44 install article and tappet gasket install.

I think a refresh on the vp44 install article and tapped gasket would be awesome!

• Like 1

• Owner
8 hours ago, notlimah said:

I think a refresh on the vp44 install article and tapped gasket would be awesome!

Hopefully I start working on it tomorrow afternoon.

7 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Choot, I replaced a vp Sunday. Tried the no removal of lines from the head like a had a couple fb "buddies" say they could to. HA that was laughable.

My method is to pull the 1,2,4 lines and leave 3,5,6 on the head. Being I'm going to do the tappet gasket I'm going to pull both. 

8 minutes ago, Spike48 said:

My vp44 has 200,000 miles so I imagine I'll be replacing it as well one of these days.

Just maybe yours will outlast my pump. I'm hoping to see someone make the 300k mark. 

• Like 1

I am not a "blame" type of person, really only judge cause/effect.  I see three trucks running same programing based on a thread based on this form all failing in a small window.  I am not taking trash on any tuner but come on guys, its not hard to draw a line of connection.  

I do believe one of the failures, Tyler's was linked to the increased rpm allowed by the v2 programming. Added rpm on anything mechanical whether designed for it or not ads more rotational stress.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NightHawk said:

I am not a "blame" type of person, really only judge cause/effect.  I see three trucks running same programing based on a thread based on this form all failing in a small window.  I am not taking trash on any tuner but come on guys, its not hard to draw a line of connection.  

I do believe one of the failures, Tyler's was linked to the increased rpm allowed by the v2 programming. Added rpm on anything mechanical whether designed for it or not ads more rotational stress.

If you actually assess what failed on the pumps it's impossible to make a correlation to the tuner. FYI @Me78569 and I were running the same tuning longer than anyone in here. His pump has more miles than mine and has yet to skip a beat. 

THE TUNING HAS NOT CHANGED!!!!! Literally instead of the tuning picking from a pre-programmed number, it picks from a user defined number. 

As for my failure... again, no. Maybe if I ran it at 3700 every day 20 times per day it could have been an issue?? That wasn't the case though. It saw over 3500rpm 20 times or so in its life. 

There are 4K boxes out there that people have been running for years with no issue.

There are other programmers out there (redline for one) that let rpms go much higher than the standard adrenaline can. People have been using those for years as well without pump issues. 

To sum it up, NO. There is no way the quad caused all 3 failures.

The likely reasons were

Moparman - end of service life

Trevor - AC noise (pump might not have been bad after all too.....)

Me - bad rebuild

Well i am glad to hear all the information about what makes the vp44 communicated to the ecm and what the quad does.  I am a supportive member of the v2 and all of the great folks on this form who have done some many things to make it what it is today.

SO try to think of someone new to the game like i initially did when i read the post. When we run these electronic dinos hard things can happen, simple risk factors.  I would definitely buy a v2 for what it offers but seeing i wont wire tap...its alot of money for what i already have in hand.

Remember all, this form is great for discussions..we dont want to become like others. :cheers:

Edited by NightHawk
  • Like 4

• Staff
7 hours ago, NightHawk said:

Well i am glad to hear all the information about what makes the vp44 communicated to the ecm and what the quad does.  I am a supportive member of the v2 and all of the great folks on this form who have done some many things to make it what it is today.

SO try to think of someone new to the game like i initially did when i read the post. When we run these electronic dinos hard things can happen, simple risk factors.  I would definitely buy a v2 for what it offers but seeing i wont wire tap...its alot of money for what i already have in hand.

Remember all, this form is great for discussions..we dont want to become like others. :cheers:

I'm in the same boat in that I do not want to mess with the electronics. I want to keep it simple, mostly original. And although half these guys would like to take my trucks away and put me back driving a buck board, I cannot help the way I think........I just don't trust electrical.

I know now I will be set up as a target :broken:from now on lol

• Like 2

• Owner
8 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Maybe if I ran it at 3700 every day 20 times per day it could have been an issue?? That wasn't the case though. It saw over 3500rpm 20 times or so in its life. 

RPM isn't an issue. Remember the VP44 turn at 1/2 the rate of the crank or the same speed as the cam. So 1600 RPM (3200 RPM stock) or 1850 RPM (3700 RPM high limit). Extra 250 RPM's to that pump is nothing. 

8 hours ago, TFaoro said:

FYI @Me78569 and I were running the same tuning longer than anyone in here.

Very true... Also keep in mind I ran the Edge Comp wire tapped for 11 years before hand. 

I will not and am not blaming Quadzilla for the failure of my VP44 and/or injectors. Period end of story.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

My method is to pull the 1,2,4 lines and leave 3,5,6 on the head. Being I'm going to do the tappet gasket I'm going to pull both. 

Similar to what I did but I removed from the head. Did not feel like fighting the line clamps.

@NightHawk the truck I replaced a vp on this past weekend was running an edge drag comp. Was on a reman pump. fwiw

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Hua? I've never touched the line clamps once. Just loosen 1,2,4 and lift it off as a group. 3, 5, 6 comes off in a second group.

That is how I did mine both times I took it off. Worked really well. 

• Like 1