• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wheels and Tire Setup

29 minutes ago, trreed said:

When I put my 1.5" kit in, I ended up having to remove the upper control arm to allow the axle to sag enough to get the kit in.  Maybe the AAM axles allow for more articulation than the old Dana's do.

i left the opposite side of the truck tire on the ground. as if i was out rock crawling. when i jacked whole front end up it wouldn't drop enough to get them out. but one side at a time it worked.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

i left the opposite side of the truck tire on the ground. as if i was out rock crawling. when i jacked whole front end up it wouldn't drop enough to get them out. but one side at a time it worked.

Thats the ticket! I'll give this method a shot! Btw, new setup looks good!!

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2017 at 1:16 AM, portlandareae28 said:

black_dually.jpg

I got a quote for $125 per tire to have my wheels powder coated, and that doesn't include the tire removal, mount and balance.  Too rich for my blood.

Is it just me or does it look like the above only did the simulators/wheel covers?

12 hours ago, jlbayes said:

That looks like the whole rim to me. You can see the weights attached to it.

Hmmm...looks like you can see the front wheel behind the simulator too me.  Maybe I'm wrong.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:24 PM, leon said:

black_dually.jpg

Sorry I forgot to mention earlier a friend of mine has this set up it is 285 75 16 3rd or 4th gen hubcaps with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch spacer in the rear he plasti dipped his wheels it's a nice looking setup but when your air down tires for trail riding the dual tires rub.  By the way that truck has a leveling kit

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 2:09 AM, WiscoRedkneck said:

black_dually.jpg

Sorry I forgot to mention earlier a friend of mine has this set up it is 285 75 16 3rd or 4th gen hubcaps with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch spacer in the rear he plasti dipped his wheels it's a nice looking setup but when your air down tires for trail riding the dual tires rub.  By the way that truck has a leveling kit

Plasti Dip is some cool stuff!  Just did both my bumpers on the 3500 a couple of weeks ago.

• Owner
24 minutes ago, leon said:

when your air down tires for trail riding the dual tires rub

That's not good. Wait til you get a sharp object shoved up between both tires and have a double flat. It could be as simple as a small stone. Rather common failure out here. The puppies do this mod and then attempt to go up in the back country for firewood. Typically find them coming home on 3 wheels in the rear. Even worse they don't have a matching spare to what is installed. There is a reason for the gap between the wheel if the rub or touch this is trouble waiting to happen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's not good. Wait til you get a sharp object shoved up between both tires and have a double flat. It could be as simple as a small stone. Rather common failure out here. The puppies do this mod and then attempt to go up in the back country for firewood. Typically find them coming home on 3 wheels in the rear. Even worse they don't have a matching spare to what is installed. There is a reason for the gap between the wheel if the rub or touch this is trouble waiting to happen. 

That, and the friction between the two tires will eventually cause a blowout.

Edited by leon
  • Like 1

• Staff

Killer,  same tires came with 01 I bought. Really like them. So far wear is good and gotten a couple compliments. Some folks seem to notice good tires for some reason.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

I found a set of the 3rd gen 5 spokes on CL for $180, had to get some more center caps from another CL person though so I have a few spares.  Got a set of Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, 295/70R17.  They are super quiet on the road, but unfortunately they rub my nerf bars a bit when making tight turns for parking.  Thankfully it isn't an issue just driving around. 

6O6R5Hxl.jpg

PgsfEpGl.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...