• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How strong is a stock clutch?

Worth if you stay fairly stock, I would say no if plan to stay that way. South bend makes a great clutch but my oe held up just fine with even with a mild tuner on it. Did some heavy towing with it also. Not alot just moving the 5th wheel from job to job. I would think SB make a lighter duty clutch but never looked for one.The oe clutch lasted 250k in mine.

13" disks found in the NV5600's are good to around 60 hp over stock.... And I ruined one with a smarty that was only adding 30 hp at the time.  The reason for the low power rating (~305 hp) is because while the diameter of the clutch increased from 12.25" to 13", the amount of friction material remained the same, reducing actual friction surface area.  As seen above, a couple of us have had good luck with 65 hp tuners and stock clutches. Both @dripley and @Marcus2000monster have the NV5600

It all depends on what you want from the truck.  Stock power?  Edge EZ and 75 hp injectors?  Compounds and 6x0.013's? That all factors in to what clutch will be good for you.   

Edited by trreed

• Owner

Way too many people think there is something special about the NV5600 vs NV4500 the gearing is nearly the same there is only an extra gear down around 25 MPH. Other than that the 6 speed is no different on the highway from the 5 speed. Look at the top two gears. I'm typically in 1.00:1 (Direct Gear) by 30 MPH

image.jpeg

So as for the clutch issue if you have a 5 speed and upgrade to South Bend Clutch you'll end up getting a 13 inch flywheel. So stress levels between both transmissions are the same it just a matter of do you have the old 12.25 or the 13.00 inch flywheel and how much input power are you placing on the flywheel. As far I as I know the 6 Speed typically had the 13 inch flywheel. I would still order a full kit including the flywheel if I was to replace your existing clutch. If you opt for re-using your old flywheel have it surfaced again and checked for true flat.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

On 3/26/2018 at 12:53 PM, trreed said:

13" disks found in the NV5600's are good to around 60 hp over stock.... And I ruined one with a smarty that was only adding 30 hp at the time.  The reason for the low power rating (~305 hp) is because while the diameter of the clutch increased from 12.25" to 13", the amount of friction material remained the same, reducing actual friction surface area.  As seen above, a couple of us have had good luck with 65 hp tuners and stock clutches. Both @dripley and @Marcus2000monster have the NV5600

It all depends on what you want from the truck.  Stock power?  Edge EZ and 75 hp injectors?  Compounds and 6x0.013's? That all factors in to what clutch will be good for you.   

On my first truck the stock 5600 held fine with an EZ and rv275's  that was 325 at the wheels. I never got on the throttle at lower rpm's which I attribute to it's long service the stock clutch gave me. What killed is was getting on the throttle at low rpms. I was rolling through a turn in 3rd gear then got on it at low rpm's. Bye Felicia. STAAAAAANK. For the next few days you could smell my truck before you saw it. 

Replaced with CON OFE. Great clutch. Towed real heavy with it and held everything I threw at it at that point. 

I agree with what  @trreed says. Define your purpose then choose your clutch accordingly. 

My little truck  had large twins, heavily fueled, and 6 x 13's.  There was a Valair Dual disc ceramic for the 4500. Fantastic clutch for it's purpose. 

• Owner
10 minutes ago, Ben said:

There was a Valair Dual disc ceramic for the 4500. Fantastic clutch for it's purpose. 

After replacing two clutch because the owners installed ceramic clutches and seeing them only last 40k on both trucks and eating the pressure plate in both trucks. Not a good clutch in my mind. Friction disc was like brand new in both cases. 

Image result for mopar1973man ceramic clutch

43 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

After replacing two clutch because the owners installed ceramic clutches and seeing them only last 40k on both trucks and eating the pressure plate in both trucks. Not a good clutch in my mind. Friction disc was like brand new in both cases. 

Interesting. 

As I stated "for it's purpose."

Not a daily or regular driver but a play toy that was taken out once in a while. 

I'll either being doing another OFE or see what Valair offers for when the time comes in the new truck.

• Like 1

• Owner
35 minutes ago, Ben said:

Interesting. 

As I stated "for it's purpose."

Not a daily or regular driver but a play toy that was taken out once in a while. 

I'll either being doing another OFE or see what Valair offers for when the time comes in the new truck.

Some people don't understand "For It's Purpose" that's why I had to post those pictures too many people thought ceramic clutches are for a daily driver or towing applications which both trucks were used for. This is only reason I'm bringing this up. Not to point finger at you... :)

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Some people don't understand "For It's Purpose" that's why I had to post those pictures too many people thought ceramic clutches are for a daily driver or towing applications which both trucks were used for. This is only reason I'm bringing this up. Not to point finger at you... :)

I agree. 

I was going through valairs descriptions and the ceramic clutches stated not for towing. 

• Owner
23 minutes ago, Ben said:

I agree. 

I was going through valairs descriptions and the ceramic clutches stated not for towing. 

Again another point, the two guys I did the replacements for, have some fly by night shop do the clutch replacement. Of course the shop pushed the ceramic for daily driving and towing purpose. Just because a shop tech suggest a clutch doesn't mean it the correct clutch for the purpose. Then again none of these people did any research on proper clutch to install.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

59 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Again another point, the two guys I did the replacements for, have some fly by night shop do the clutch replacement. Of course the shop pushed the ceramic for daily driving and towing purpose. Just because a shop tech suggest a clutch doesn't mean it the correct clutch for the purpose.

Sheesh. 

Imo, it’s up to the owner to do their own research before purchasing items.  At least be informed. 

In this day and age of information at our finger tips there  is zero reason not to be.  

Edited by Ben
  • Like 2

i went with a valair kevlar ceramic on the nv5600 and rv275's...    ive pulled well over 20,000 lbs (ram3500 with 30' camper attached) and had zero slips.

nothing ive done will make it slip and i run 35" tires

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/valair/NMU70279-06.htm

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

3 hours ago, Ben said:

In this day and age of information at our finger tips there  is zero reason not to be

Makes people lazy, therefore the outcome

2 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

nothing ive done will make it slip and i run 35" tires

Sounds like a good clutch to consider, did you reuse your flywheel

• Staff

I'm not sure if the 3rd gen NV5600 clutch and the 2nd gen NV5600 clutch are the same or not, by my OEM clutch held just find with the S-JR on the 40hp setting and towing, but it slipped the first time I tried the 100hp setting. It would only slip at 1400-1600 rpms but I pulled it within a couple weeks for a Con-OFE. 

Looking back at my dyno sheets the power was about 290/610 on the 40hp setting and 385/710 on the 100hp setting. Stock was 285/520. That's all uncorrected at 2700' to the rear wheels, so use it for what you will. Flywheel hp/tq is approx 115% of rear wheel. 

My next clutch will likely be the Con-OHD. My dad has a OHD and I like it a lot better than my OFE. 

My current OFE has zero issues holding my 400/850 tune even WOT at 26K+. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

• Owner
On 3/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, AH64ID said:

My next clutch will likely be the Con-OHD. My dad has a OHD and I like it a lot better than my OFE. 

May I ask what the difference is?

On 3/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, AH64ID said:

Looking back at my dyno sheets the power was about 290/610 on the 40hp setting and 385/710 on the 100hp setting. Stock was 285/520. That's all uncorrected at 2700' to the rear wheels, so use it for what you will. Flywheel hp/tq is approx 115% of rear wheel.

Where are you dyno'ing at these days?