• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

TIRES - Sizes, brands, etc. - What do you run?

I do a lot of mixed road usage so the aggressive tread was desirable in my case. as far as fuel economy I'm not sure on the numbers as around the same time I bought the tires fuel prices started to jack upward and I rarely have had time to hand calculate the mileage, I believe based on the amount of fuel ups I have done per week that these are giving me some positive results. cooper is the only manufacturer so that doesn't surprise me that its the only tread pattern or brand found. the tire shop up here recommends Coopers over Michelin as the tires have a better life span as well as a better warranty period. load range I believe are only found in load range "D" I have not seen any others thats usually not an issue unless your dropping more than 3 tons on the axle without dullies. since most people only haul that much weight in a trailer the distributed load rarely exceeds that especially with a tandem axle trailer. I have no clue on your last question about the wheels.

Wow! that's the first thing I've ever heard or read positive about a Cooper tire. I've never had good luck w/ anything Cooper car or truck.

I had a set of Cooper Discoverer tires on a 84 Ford Ranger (2.2 Natural Diesel 4 speed)... the transmission case cracked so I pulled the almost new tires (drained the full fuel tank) & junked the truck. Put the tires on the wife's Caravan (heavier tires but the same size) & they wore like iron. Totally trouble free with a woman driver. Coopers are not well known but I consider them solid tires.

the shop i go to the owner told me he preferred coopers over Michelin because of the warranties. cooper products even re-branded carry a longer warranty than the Michelin's, they also on average run better than Michelin's.overall i find small shops by far give better customer service and surprisingly better prices this guy beat out tire factory, begs, and definately blew leshwabs out of the water.

Went out in the cold, cleaned the 18" of snow off the Cirus... NO start. Ump & click, click, click!! The battery goes in from underneath!? I charged it overnight & took it back to Sears for another Diehard. Not on sale this time but I need to be sure. So I pass the time by eyeballing the tire display.The CTD is due for inspection... The Michelins will pass this time but ought to be replaced next fall. I love the looks of knobies but I don't go more than a few feet off road. I do get all sorts of on road conditions... some rain & really snow is the worst of it. I'd like to get a good open All Season tread, maybe a M & S. Or mild AT. No complaint with my OEM tires (265/75R16) upgrade sizewise. My speedometer is dead nuts on now... otherwise might be tempted to bump the tire size. My 4:10 gears are very noisy on the highway. What do you think?

It seems people are as loyal to their tire choice as they are their oil choice. I personally love my Michelins and you couldn't get them from me. It does seem though that every tire company compares itself to the Michelin. That has to tell you something.

In my experience the Michelin LTX MS and the new MS2 is the best tire out there, period, for a truck that spends more than half of it's life on pavement. They're pricey at first but you get more miles per dollar when it's all said and done.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 255/85/16E BFG Mud Terrains on my 2500. I like them pretty well, they're wearing a little funny, probably from the bad u/l ball joints. I bought a set of XRF's, but havn't had time to put them on yet, plus the fact that were going thru a cold spell right now with the white stuff.I tried quite a few different tires: Maxxis, Remington, BFG All Terrains & Interco Truxus, which were the worst tire ever (8800 miles) and were wore out. There compound is to soft, even being a load range E tire. The Reminton Mud Brute were probably #1 next the Maxxis Buckshot and Bighorn (tried them both), then the All Terrains ( only got about 25,000 out of them, and drove sqirelly, too squared of a shoulder) They were all in the 285/75/16E sizes. Then I went to the M/T in the taller/skinny'r size. Anybody tried the Pitbull tires?

i run Motomaster 265/75/16 M+S in the winter on my stock rims, 285/75/16 Toyo open country on pro comp 1032 in the summer. I gatta say these Toyos impressed me there good on the highway & on snow ill be getting my second set next summer. The stock Michelins didnt do well for me at all, highway ride was horrible and even worse in winter only good thing was they lasted for 90k

Pitbulls are a tire for the trail rig nit the toter. I run 19.5s and will never go back. The 25/32" tread depth was a little squirrely for the first 1500-2000 miles but since then they've been fantastic. 225/70r19.5s all around, my steers are Continental HDRs and my drive are recap Khumo carcasses with the gnarliest snow tread the offered. Zero (corrected) mileage change, slightly taller; I'm a 20k now on them and at least 60% tread remaining. $1444 for the tires out the door on a dually for load range F all around is impossible to beat. I really wanted to go for 245s but the tire shop talked me out of it. My frito lay breadvan wheels are too narrow at 6" for a 245. 8r19.5 is the height of a 245 and the width of a 225. They're very tall and skinny. When I got my 19.5s I'd wanted to do 245/70r19.5 steers and 8r19.5 drives since the tall profile would not matter as much in back but the size is pretty much out of production. They didn't even have 4 recaps in the same tread much less matching carcasses. Next fall when I expect to need tires again, I'll be looking for matching 8r19.5s to recap though. In any case I do plan to step back a notch in aggressiveness. These have been a little loud and I don't do enough off road to justify the HDR/snow traction combo. It has paid off since the trans swap while I've had to deal with a 4x2 truck in the snow though.

• 3 weeks later...

this morning, I had my 265-70-16 REVOs replaced ith 235/85-16 E Federal Couragia MTs.. So far, I love them, even though I've only driven a short distance on them. My steering is much easier, and despite their very lug-heavy design, only howl a little bit. I barely hear it over my 5" muffled Diamond Eye exhaust.

I'll try to get a pic of them on the truck this afternoon..

Posted Image

mindless, what 19.5" wheels are you running?