• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6 Speed manual transmission ~ NV5600 ~ General Questions

Super Stick Transmissions.  His stock 5600 rebuild is $3250 with core, 5 year/100k mile/700 HP warranty.  Also offers modifications to the oil passages for increased shifting speed.  So I was really high on my estimate above.  He also offers a 1000 HP capable 5600, and an over 1000 HP capable unit.

07C50BC5-DE38-455B-85E7-AC43E4431A43.png

Edited by trreed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All our transmission should be in the GL-4 class.

NO! 

Only the NV-4500 and G-56 should be GL-4. 

The NV-5600, topic of this thread, should be synchromesh. 

Syncromesh and GL-4 are different rating. Kinda like comparing gas and diesel oils. 

BTW: flew over your place this morning, may fly over again in a few hours. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

BTW: flew over your place this morning, may fly over again in a few hours. 

Wow you fly and text, nice... I'm jealous how high can you go before you lose service. Which would be odd since satellites are above you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Wow you fly and text, nice... I'm jealous how high can you go before you lose service. Which would be odd since satellites are above you.

Can't speak for @AH64ID but I've found it works up to 1-2k lol anything above is a no go. 

Edited by notlimah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trreed said:

Super Stick Transmissions.  His stock 5600 rebuild is $3250 with core, 5 year/100k mile/700 HP warranty.  Also offers modifications to the oil passages for increased shifting speed.  So I was really high on my estimate above.  He also offers a 1000 HP capable 5600, and an over 1000 HP capable unit.

07C50BC5-DE38-455B-85E7-AC43E4431A43.png

Thats the guy and his price and warranty are great. Though I am sure it does not include any those hard parts if there broken. I still have my OE sitting on a dolly. I hope if I need hard parts, I have some spares.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Amosoil synchromesh or Penzoil synchromesh for the NV-5600... that’s it. 

Not to throw a wrench in this, but I've been using the red line synthetic gear oil for my nv5600. It's a gl4. I've got to change fluid in it this summer, probably 60k miles on it now, it works good, shifts well to, these transmissions are great but are shifting has always been a little difficult, red line helped but it's still picky.

Anyone else have good luck with red line?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trreed said:

I’m not sure what happens to the price if you need hard parts replaced

"UP" would be my guess. I am going to have to give him a call one day and talk with him about such things. There are good parts out there now and this guy sounds like he would use them. Just no other way he could put that good a warranty on them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alexio Auditore said:

Not to throw a wrench in this, but I've been using the red line synthetic gear oil for my nv5600. It's a gl4. I've got to change fluid in it this summer, probably 60k miles on it now, it works good, shifts well to, these transmissions are great but are shifting has always been a little difficult, red line helped but it's still picky.

Anyone else have good luck with red line?

I have no experience with the Red Line and have seen several folks that do use it and they seem to like it. I just know the the Pennzoil is recommended for it and I have never had any trouble with it.

I have never really had any trouble shifting mine other than hitting 5th occasionally, just something a little finicky with gate I guess. Reverse sometimes requires hitting 6th if you are in a hurry. but its big tranny, a lot of mass spinning in there. I can slam thru them if needed just choose for the most part not to. Just my opinion.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, dripley said:

Reverse sometimes requires hitting 6th if you are in a hurry. but its big tranny, a lot of mass spinning in there. I can slam thru them if needed 

Same with mine, but 3rd is the one that give me the most grief, especially when cold, never seems to want to go in smoothly.i cant say what the history of oils or how the previous owners drove it, but redline seemed to help make it smoother, especially on 3rd. Just my experience

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexio Auditore said:

Same with mine, but 3rd is the one that give me the most grief, especially when cold, never seems to want to go in smoothly.i cant say what the history of oils or how the previous owners drove it, but redline seemed to help make it smoother, especially on 3rd. Just my experience

I felt a slight improvement when I switched to amsoil on shifting in 3rd, there must be a common thing with these 3rd gears. The only thing I can think of is po might of did some sled pulling in 3rd 4x4 low on take off. When I bought my truck from him he had a 1st Gen all set up to pull. I asked him playing dumb if he pulled with the one I got and how cool it would be, but of course he said no man.  

56 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Can't speak for @AH64ID but I've found it works up to 1-2k lol anything above is a no go. 

Is that in the air or driving up a certain mountain, guessing in the air as there are a lot of people leaving at high elevation with phone service 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alexio Auditore said:

11 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I felt a slight improvement when I switched to amsoil on shifting in 3rd, there must be a common thing with these 3rd gears. The only thing I can think of is po might of did some sled pulling in 3rd 4x4 low on take off. When I bought my truck from him he had a 1st Gen all set up to pull. I asked him playing dumb if he pulled with the one I got and how cool it would be, but of course he said no man.  

I have never had that problem with third on either of mine. I do experience that a little now with the lower gears on occasion these days, 4th and below. But I am thinking it is the sychros growing old. That would definitely be an opinion only.

The fifth thing I spoke of is just hitting the gear, not like it is hard to get into gear. Seems like the shifter catches on something and does not quite go into the gate for it. I read a lot about it years ago. Have not seen mentioned a good while though. 

• Like 1

• Owner
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All our transmission should be in the GL-4 class.

I chose my words carefully. I said GL-4 class I did not say SPEC. GL-4 class basically is to deal with yellow metals in syncros and carbon fiber syncro. Even Pennzoil syncromesh is stating that it protects for yellow metals. If again close to the GL-4 but the fluid is too THIN to meet the rating. Also pointing out that no we cannot use GL-5 in any transmission being it will attack the yellow metals and syncros.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I felt a slight improvement when I switched to amsoil on shifting in 3rd, there must be a common thing with these 3rd gears. 

I remember hearing once that it goes out the quickest because its used the most. Both 3rd and 4th really. 4th only gives me a little grief when cold. On 3rd, I just shift a bit slower into it, let the rpms drop and put a little pressure on it, eventually it accepts it and slides in without grinding......usually.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

The only thing I can think of is po might of did some sled pulling in 3rd 4x4 low on take off.  

My grandfather in law takes off in third from a dead stop all the time in his cummins. I cringe everytime lol. It doesnt sound to good

• Like 2

I went ahead and changed the fluid and top loaded 6 Qts. of the Pennzoil Synchromesh in it.  The old fluid was very clean and the inside of the tranny was clean as well.  It was a fun little project taking apart the shifter assy for the top loading :-)

Seems to be shifting fine, well it was before, but I feel like I have the right amount of the right fluid in there now rather than not enough of possibly the wrong fluid in there.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Much appreciated.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2018 at 1:15 PM, AH64ID said:

Amosoil synchromesh or Penzoil synchromesh for the NV-5600... that’s it. 

Don’t experiment with a GL-4 in a NV5600.. there are those who have and aren’t happy with the results or damage. 

The NV-4500 came with a 75w-85 fluid, so the SAE 50 or a 75w-90 are only marginally thicker. There are several 75w-90 Synthetic options in GL-4 if someone is looking. 

The  G-56 is recommend to run a GL-4 as well, from MB. 

THIS!!!!  This right here!!!! Or stock Dodge Oil.

This seqway bloviated bullshit about other xxx oils has no business being in  nv5600 thread. Even though they are fantastic in a 4500.

Ive had my lowest tran temps with stock dodge oil and that is only compared to Redline MTL. which ran hot as hell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ben said:

THIS!!!!  This right here!!!! Or stock Dodge Oil.

This seqway bloviated bullshit about other xxx oils has no business being in  nv5600 thread. Even though they are fantastic in a 4500.

Ive had my lowest tran temps with stock dodge oil and that is only compared to Redline MTL. which ran hot as hell. 

Yea it's fun to listen to all the opinions but I'm with you on this one 100% I got the one of the three I could readily get my hands on and that was the Pennzoil Synchromesh. 

Do you have a resource to get the actual stock Dodge oil or what the part number is for it? My ultra lame local Dodge dealer couldn't get me a radiator cap for my truck after completely botching a cooling system flush, for a stupid amount of money.  I was so mad at them I didn't even take it back, I was afraid of what I might do and say LOL  I'm still flushing the cooling system.  The cooling system is filthy, I'm on round 8 or 9 flushes now.  I lost track.  It's slowly getting cleaner.

My tranny is working as it should be so far, I'll do my darnedest to keep it that way, via correct fluids and leisurely gentle rowing always involving the clutch.

• Like 1