• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What is the "BEST" engine oil & filter to use and why?

16 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Don't ever say fram, what a piece of garbage. Had bad experience with that myself, on someone's vehicle I was working on. FRAM is JUNK....!!!!!!!

I shall remain FRAMless :shrug:

• Thanks 1

Ok here it is, friend of my wife had an oil change done. Right a way she noticed noise coming from engine and she went back to WALMART which I worked here about not to change oil there. They said it was fine so she called me. Ether way it sounded to me like timing chain was rattling and since she just changed oil in pulled dip stick to make sure there is oil in there (which was over filled) so next thing I looked at filter and sure enough it's FRAM :sick: I went part store got a Wix problem went away. Her car needed oil pressure for timing chain tensioner, for whatever reason fram was holding back. She got lucky no damage was done. 

Friend of mine used fram on his truck and spun a rod bearing, not saying fram did it but I'd like to think so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Ok here it is, friend of my wife had an oil change done. Right a way she noticed noise coming from engine and she went back to WALMART which I worked here about not to change oil there. They said it was fine so she called me. Ether way it sounded to me like timing chain was rattling and since she just changed oil in pulled dip stick to make sure there is oil in there (which was over filled) so next thing I looked at filter and sure enough it's FRAM :sick: I went part store got a Wix problem went away. Her car needed oil pressure for timing chain tensioner, for whatever reason fram was holding back. She got lucky no damage was done. 

Friend of mine used fram on his truck and spun a rod bearing, not saying fram did it but I'd like to think so. 

It's a reasonable theory.

• Owner
7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Her car needed oil pressure for timing chain tensioner, for whatever reason fram was holding back.

7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

pulled dip stick to make sure there is oil in there (which was over filled)

Might of been that it was overfilled and the oil was foamed up from the crank whipping air in the oil. When you changed the filter the oil level was reduced enough to keep that from happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might of been that it was overfilled and the oil was foamed up from the crank whipping air in the oil. When you changed the filter the oil level was reduced enough to keep that from happening.

No it wasn't over filled that much, maybe 1/2 a qt but reason I mentioned it is Walmart people ether overfill it or not put any in, at least around here. I had 2 people in know that Walmart payed for a new engine because their employees forgot to put oil in or didn't get oil pug tight enough, by the time light comes on is usually too late especially if it's a woman driving that has no clue what that light means or what dipstick is. 

To foam like that you'll need at least 2 extra qt depending on a car. But I thought of that when she first called me.

9 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

No it wasn't over filled that much, maybe 1/2 a qt but reason I mentioned it is Walmart people ether overfill it or not put any in, at least around here. I had 2 people in know that Walmart payed for a new engine because their employees forgot to put oil in or didn't get oil pug tight enough, by the time light comes on is usually too late especially if it's a woman driving that has no clue what that light means or what dipstick is. 

To foam like that you'll need at least 2 extra qt depending on a car. But I thought of that when she first called me.

FYI there are plenty of guys who blow their shite up due to a complete lack of knowledge of everything other than the basic operating go/stop features.  For some reason no one likes to talk about them though.  In the city where I live, the only people who know about these things are nurds, like us, and mechanics for the most part it's equal dumb dumb on both sides of the isle.  The women readily admit to it, and the men play it off like they know stuff, and then they meet me, and all bets are off LOL

Edited by leety
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, leety said:

FYI there are plenty of guys who blow their shot up due to a complete lack of everthing other than the basic operating go/stop features

I knew I shouldn't of said anything about women drivers with you being one. Obviously you're not a common one and know a lot more then an average guy these days. I was speaking about women in general, from my experience there is a much smaller percentage of women that work on vehicles than man. I'm sorry if I offended you, wasn't aimed at you at all. 

Edit: but yes you are 100% correct, I have friends that have no clue what's under the hood, pretty sad if you ask me.

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I knew I shouldn't of said anything about women drivers with you being one. Obviously you're not a common one and know a lot more then an average guy these days. I was speaking about women in general, from my experience there is a much smaller percentage of women that work on vehicles than man. I'm sorry if I offended you, wasn't aimed at you at all. 

Hope you had your high waders on DF when you stepped into that one, I believe @leety might be an exception.

You make me feel better because I am usually the one that has to pry his feet out of his mouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dripley said:

You make me feel better because I am usually the one that has to pry his feet out of his mouth.

Yeah, I just thought we were all on the same page here for the most part. Like I said I wasn't trying to offend anyone was just speaking the truth and what I've witnessed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Edit: but yes you are 100% correct, I have friends that have no clue what's under the hood, pretty sad if you ask me.

No worries.  What's sad is that very few women are encouraged to even check their oil, by anyone, ever.  My family didn't do that to me.  They noticed my technical aptitude when I was young and never boxed me in to some gender trap. For that, I am grateful.  I still do all the girly things too though.  I do what I like.

Edited by leety
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, leety said:

FYI there are plenty of guys who blow their shite up due to a complete lack of knowledge of everything other than the basic operating go/stop features. 

New Corvette and Porche owners. :lmao2:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GSP7 said:

New Corvette and Porche owners. :lmao2:

And there there are the boy racers who come to my mountain with a different tire pressure in each tier and flip their cars over LOL

• Staff
On 6/23/2018 at 5:50 PM, GSP7 said:

I dont trust those quick release drain valves

what if you drive over some sage brush and it flips the lever

:shrug:

Me either. 

I'm not to concerned about them opening, but it wouldn't be hard for road debris (tire, stick, etc) to break it or cause a leak that you can't detect until it's too late... especially on the rigs that don't have a real oil psi gauge. By the time the low oil pressure light comes on the motor is done. 

I've dented oil pans with sticks bouncing off the tires. I'd hate to lose an engine to save 3 minutes on an oil change once a year. 

One of the reasons I run a 1" level is to get the oil pan higher and protected by the axle. 

• Like 1

Guest 04Mach1
On 6/25/2018 at 8:30 PM, leety said:

FYI there are plenty of guys who blow their shite up due to a complete lack of knowledge of everything other than the basic operating go/stop features.  For some reason no one likes to talk about them though.  In the city where I live, the only people who know about these things are nurds, like us, and mechanics for the most part it's equal dumb dumb on both sides of the isle.  The women readily admit to it, and the men play it off like they know stuff, and then they meet me, and all bets are off LOL

Well let's see. Where I'm at you got the young generation that don't understand why their chipped diesel keeps blowing up when they're out playing with the Corvettes, crotch rockets, and Mustang's. Of course they don't care because daddy will pay to fix it or buy them a new one. 

Then you got the retired a--holes that have more money than sense out there buying pusher RVs. Had one today that had a RV with a Cummins ISL that easily cost him $150,000 or more when he bought it. Anyway he stopped by the shop because he kept getting a check engine light and stop engine light then the engine would shut down. I plugged in my Cummins laptop and saw numerous faults for low oil pressure and very low oil pressure in the ECM. I checked the oil and it took 16 quarts to top off. No leaks found that would cause rapid loss of oil and didn't hear any abnormal noises after the oil was topped off. The owner said he didn't realize he needed to check oil in the engine. I didn't ask the last time the oil or filters were changed because I knew he wouldn't have a clue.

Edited by 04Mach1

10 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

Well let's see. Where I'm at you got the young generation that don't understand why their chipped diesel keeps blowing up when they're out playing with the Corvettes, crotch rockets, and Mustang's. Of course they don't care because daddy will pay to fix it or buy them a new one. 

Then you got the retired a--holes that have more money than sense out there buying pusher RVs. Had one today that had a RV with a Cummins ISL that easily cost him $150,000 or more when he bought it. Anyway he stopped by the shop because he kept getting a check engine light and stop engine light then the engine would shut down. I plugged in my Cummins laptop and saw numerous faults for low oil pressure and very low oil pressure in the ECM. I checked the oil and it took 16 quarts to top off. No leaks found that would cause rapid loss of oil and didn't hear any abnormal noises after the oil was topped off. The owner said he didn't realize he needed to check oil in the engine. I didn't ask the last time the oil or filters were changed because I knew he wouldn't have a clue.

That's what I refer to as as having "more money than brains."

And as for the youth? Well, youth is waisted on the young.  LOL

• Haha 1

That's why I just keep it to myself anymore, no reason to waste effort on someone that doesn't care. I put in my :2cents: and move on. Take what you need and leave the rest. And if someone wants to know more then I'll talk more. I try not to miss lead anyone with my information and hope that people who actually care do enough of their own research. 

• Like 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

Then you got the retired a--holes that have more money than sense out there

Had one of those the other day.  I was a service on an MBZ and talking to the customer about his car I asked him if he checked his oil level between oil changes.  His answer was "That's what I pay you people for".

Today I was in O'Reilly today and at the counter next to me a woman was buying a 5qt jug of synthetic oil.  She asked the sales associate how long can she use the oil till she needs to change it.  He told her 3,000 to 3,500 miles. 

• Like 1