• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

• Staff
3 hours ago, KATOOM said:

And short term memory loss seems to be the demise of voters too since everyone has a hard time remember the last time you voted in new taxes to fix the roads, increase police security, hire more firemen for your safety, etc, etc...  But every couple election cycles, low and behold, there's more propositions to further raise your social service taxes in order to pay for the very things you voted to fix last time...and the time before that.  Even though they're still not fixed.  Is anyone OK with this???

Sorry but I'm done paying my fair share.  I want the taxes I already shell out to cover the services we already agreed to.  If they dont have enough money then how about they stop giving illegals free stuff and cut off the welfare give away programs for those who dont care to work for anything.

:iagree:  :soap:

On November 1st of last year the California legislature passed and the Honorable Governor Moonbeam signed a fuel tax increase into law.    California  now has one of the highest gas and diesel tax in the nation.

A 12-cent a gallon increase in the gasoline excise tax.

A 20-cent a gallon increase in the diesel excise tax.

A 5.75% increase in the diesel sales tax.

A new vehicle fee which will increase registration fees by $25-$175 annually depending on the value of the vehicle. 

A $100 fee added to zero emission vehicle registration cost.

In the bill not one cent can go to build new single driver road use roads!  It's funds are allocated to various green projects such as new car pool lanes, carbon reduction programs and the like but with the bulk of the monies going to the underfunded government employees retirement fund. 

California collects enough taxes to pay for the repairs and improvements but waste is the name of the game.   On the national average for every dollar a state spends on road repair the state of California will spend $4 to do the same repair 

This is such an unpopular tax increase that enough signatures have been collected to put a gas tax repeal initiative on the November 2018 ballot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, IBMobile said:

$25-$175 annually depending on the value of the vehicle

I never understood the value thing, how is that make any sense. If it's a truck it's a truck if it's a car it's a car which one does more damage to the roads. Same thing on the remodeling a house you pay more if you pull permit but it's still the same house in the same neighborhood.

21 hours ago, IBMobile said:

This is such an unpopular tax increase that enough signatures have been collected to put a gas tax repeal initiative on the November 2018 ballot.

or did it, how the hell would we ever know. 

This whole world is rigged 

https://youtu.be/hYIC0eZYEtI

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Staff
3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I never understood the value thing,

Years ago the tax man would come by to value your property, land, house, out buildings and vehicles.  The property owners would hide there vehicles and even with a big oil stain in the driveway tell the tax man they didn't have a car.  So the tax man got smart and got the department of motor vehicles to collect the tax by incorporating it into the registration fees.

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

This whole world is rigged 

Now, don't get me started.  1300838719_tearing-hair1.gif.a208c0c4a4b9c0578a98775e441e1fac.gif My blood pressure is still up there.      

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest 04Mach1

A cool video of a Freightliner ECascadia. Has up to 250 mile range on a single charge which is not near enough for how OTR trucks run now days. A typical team driven OTR truck will see at least 1000 miles a day. A single driver OTR truck can see up to 600 miles a day. Unfortunately drivers don't have time to sit around waiting for the batteries to charge.

I'm sure the technology will get better so I better keep my eyes open for the training when available if I'm gonna stay in the business of repairing trucks.

City routes will adopt first then as we get solid state batteries you will start to see OTR trucks as well.   

theirs is much better looking than tesla lol

Edited by Me78569

engine has 1 moving part, no transmission.  

easier in some harder in others.

a lot of people can't handle electrical troubleshooting.  New cars are all computers on wheels, I dont forsee much difference between a tesla troubleshooting or a 4th gen cummins.   

in his case on the battery it actually dropepd out easily, I would venture to say that most would just get a new battery.  funny thing is I was thinking "hey better line that battery up"  

I see nothing in that video that suggests that the issues were not caused by him. 

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

Just stumbled on those two videos. Umm... Buying a new battery isn't cheap for Telsa.

Just like this small snip...

Tesla was exacting a price of $40,000 to replace the 53-kWh hour pack in the Roadster. That’s why some EV market observers were surprised when George Blankenship, Tesla vice president of worldwide sales and ownership experience, announced last week that the company will replace the larger 85-kWh pack on the Model S for just $12,000.

• Like 1

• Staff

Batteries in general for hybrids and EV's aren't cheap. 

A friend and I ran some numbers a year or two ago, and all the savings at the pump get put into the battery if you keep the vehicle thru battery replacement, if not more that what you saved. 

• Like 1

I understand that, but the design shows that it is actually fairly easy to replace the battery.   All the issues he ran into he caused by not taking his time, buying faulty parts, and forgetfulness.    It was nuts and bolts and a few plugs.  

I see nothing wrong with the actual process.  It looks no harder than pulling an engine and trans.     

Again the tesla will never have to have a trans rebuild, no engine maintence like we are used to.  No studs, no springs, no bearings, no sleeves, no machine work etc etc.  

It's all a trade off.    The price of battery packs will come down as technology advances.   New = $$

here is some data on Range % vs car mileage  data is still young, but it looks like %10 drop aftter 150,000 miles.  Guessing acceptible range % at 200,000.  

screen-shot-2018-04-14-at-2-56-15-pm.jpg

will most be replacing the batteries at all?   

https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/

now we look at Nissan Leaf

screen-shot-2018-03-26-at-2-51-23-pm.jpg

WAY worse, after a few years you are eating up a ton of life.    As a comparison the telsa s has been out fo 6 year.  It goes to show that the quality of the battery makes a big difference.   

Just like a cummins life span in miles vs a kia from the 90's    And all of that is looking at technology that has been around for a decade when there were very few electric cars out there.  You can bet that we will see improvement.  

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Batteries in general for hybrids and EV's aren't cheap. 

A friend and I ran some numbers a year or two ago, and all the savings at the pump get put into the battery if you keep the vehicle thru battery replacement, if not more that what you saved. 

Mind you that every vehicle I ever owned typically I ran upwards of 300k miles. 

73 Dodge Charger I sold with 339k miles. 

72 Dodge Power Wagon I traded in with 320k miles. 

2002 Currently at 349k miles. 

I'm not a person to buy a vehicle for 50k to 100k miles and buy another vehicle. I run them long and hard. 

For what it is worth, tesla has a few test mules with 500,000 miles + on them that have lost %20 of their range.  That is on 18650 batteries and not the newer 21700 cells.    

all this is a moot point because I still don't think Liion batteries are the answer.  We can improve liion but they have flaws that other battery types dont.

good video with a smart old fart. goes through the battery setup.  Very interesting.  Effectively Tesla has put nearly all computers and controls on the battery to centeralize things.  You would pass a desired torque command to the port on the battery and it handles the rest.  

I wanna know the deal on the yellow truck thing in the background. 

As for price.  A Volt would run $38,000 - $7500 federal rebate - 5000 colorado rebate = $25500.    Just like computer hardware, new stuff is pricey then a few years down the road it drops.       

As you can see in the Video Tesla is clearly trying to move to moduler design and that will in turn lower the cost as well.    That battery would fit nice just below the bed of a truck hahahah 

Edited by Me78569

On 7/10/2018 at 3:19 PM, KATOOM said:

Sorry but I'm done paying my fair share.  I want the taxes I already shell out to cover the services we already agreed to.  If they dont have enough money then how about they stop giving illegals free stuff and cut off the welfare give away programs for those who dont care to work for anything.

You said it right there. This is the very thing that is wrong with our country. I run a family business and it's hell to find reliable employees that want to work.

I had guy show up to tryout one morning. Very first thing he wanted was for me to sign a paper stating how much he made and how many hours he worked so he could turn it in the assistance office. Told him no since he was on a tryout basis, so he turned around and just left.

Sad part is, the illegals (some, not all) are the ones that are actually willing to do the jobs.

The construction industry is getting the same way. I am knocking all them by means most hardworking men. But I am running up crews that lack someone that speaks good english and I do have problem with that. I had several instances on this last job. I would explain myself as plainly as I could then come back and get something different.It is frustrating but I have to get the job done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, that whole "auto" pilot thing is really misleading and I feel was released way too early.  The road way infrastructures we humans navigate through every day is anything but black and white.  Too many variables and unknowns for me to trust a computer to process an algorithm.