• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Surging and Turbo Bark under heavy throttle

I do a lot of trips to eastern Montana and a lot of the roads a 75mph so I need a bit more to end to pass. Also hauling wood through the hills is easier then when I was stock... i do wish my truck wasn't so loud though scares the deer miles away then I have to walk.

So doing more testing with my original issue. I tried wot from 35 to 80 to see if it would do the same. TC locked at 70 no surging or bark and psi stayed at 32 for boost... 

My guess higher speeds less load during lock up. Is that correct? If so should I be flooring it to get on the freeway from now on to avoid the surging? 

Haha my tricks a baby. I make under 30lbs of boost. Good quick empty and pulls 15k pretty good. Though shes a naughty dirty girl when towing.

What's your 95gph pump running at under wot in lockup. I wonder if theres issues there fuel dropping under throttle then coming back up causing a surge on vp44? Om just tossing that out there I have no idea really 

• Owner
1 hour ago, Dustin24v said:

I run 18 in park 16 cruising and 13 at wot.

Fass 95 GPH 3/4" lines

Apparently, the pump is too small and not keeping up if you have 3/4" fuel lines. Even my AirDog 150 does better with 1/2" lines at 17 at idle and 15 WOT.

The pressure drop is a sign that your "demand volume" is outweighing the "supply volume" so pressure drops off. When on my setup the pressure drop is very small showing that the pump is capable of holding its own and supplying everything the VP44 requests with 7 x 0.0085 injectors and Quadzilla Adrenaline.

Should I drop down to 1/2" lines instead? Or am I to the point I should get a 150 fass?

Also back to boost and head studs. If I do get the super b special and waste gate at 37 psi should I be alright? I figure with the increased volume of air I wont need to run as much boost. 

Edited by Dustin24v

I was looking at the sxe 300  64.5/73/14 and was trying to figure the difference between the two. Seems like the the super b I might be paying for the name a little. Finding a inexpensive 64mm 14 blade is troubling.

I found a super b special for the 03-07 would I be able to rig it to my 98.5?

Edited by Dustin24v

Oh I see. I'll have to read more into that then. Most forums advise the super b special is great for 12v I assumed the Same for the 24v. I'm not too familiar with turbos. I do know when I was talking to Jon Dynamic. He was saying I needed a larger turbo just for the fact I had a triple disk tc.

Is your torque converter locking too early? Only time I’ve ever had surging is when I first installed my lock up switch and was foolin around and locked it at too low an rpm. Never barked it but definitely tried surging until I let off the switch.

It's the 17ss from goerend. Basically stock stall speed. To everyone's conclusion I need a new turbo.  

Basically trying to decide whether to sell some guns or just throw it on the plastic devil. 

I'll be doing the ground mod today to see if it helps any. It will be good to reduce some ac noise anyway.

@Mopar1973Man so I was looking at how the previous owner set up the bd noise isolate. He snipped that wire and only left about an inch from the computer. Do I need to replace with a full length wire and reattach it somewhere? 

1 hour ago, Dustin24v said:

It's the 17ss from goerend. Basically stock stall speed. To everyone's conclusion I need a new turbo.

I was more thinking if the trans is calling for TC lockup at too low an rpm it would cause the surge and if you’re building that much more boost outside the turbos map, could be causing the barking.

I have a 15ss, 7x.085’s, hx35 and a boost elbow and most boost I see if 33-35. Sounds like you’re wastegate or boost elbow is jacked up. I just wouldn’t be so quick to say new turbo since that’s not a cheap fix. I’d be trying to figure out how to control the boost and see if you’re having the same issues and try and save some money. If it turns out it is the turbo, at least you’ve checked everything else (read: the cheap stuff) first!

• Like 1