• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Budget mods article

• Owner

Bit over glorified for brand names really but the ideas are sound. The other thing is the knowledge we have here makes some of the suggestions obsolete. Like Edge Comp vs Quadzilla I would say Quadzilla would be a better tuner.

Boost elbows typically come with the tuner. Then there is the one from China that @IBMobile found.

Fuel supply that is a wide topic being you have AirDog, FASS and mechanical pumps now.

4" inch exhaust nothing to brag about like I ran 3" for years without any issues with EGT's.

Gauges are just a good requirement to have.

Injectors another wide topic to discuss depending on what you're after more MPG or Performance.

Turbos another wide range of topic depending on the driver purpose of power will dictate what type of turbo to use.

Cold Air Intakes another topic that is rather wide. Washable filters as poor as they are but then the claims of making the air colder doesn't seem to always pan out. Being I just found you can make IAT -10*F colder by changing your thermostat.  Most of used the BHAF for years without little to no problem. Guys that live up here in the cold north are looking for a bit of warm air for the intake with temperatures down to -30*F.

Hot Rod pumps LOL... At least just a hot rod pump on a stock truck produces a mere +21 HP. Most that are in the big power goal go for the P-pump more so. If you wanting big fuel for a VP44 there are the dragon fire pumps. Most can get at least 600 HP from just a plain old SO VP44 pump.

Exhaust manifold most here will suggest sticking with the factory manifolds there are no gains really to the 3 piece ones.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Bit over glorified for brand names really but the ideas are sound. The other thing is the knowledge we have here makes some of the suggestions obsolete. Like Edge Comp vs Quadzilla I would say Quadzilla would be a better tuner.

Boost elbows typically come with the tuner. Then there is the one from China that @IBMobile found.

Fuel supply that is a wide topic being you have AirDog, FASS and mechanical pumps now.

4" inch exhaust nothing to brag about like I ran 3" for years without any issues with EGT's.

Gauges are just a good requirement to have.

Injectors another wide topic to discuss depending on what you're after more MPG or Performance.

Turbos another wide range of topic depending on the driver purpose of power will dictate what type of turbo to use.

Cold Air Intakes another topic that is rather wide. Washable filters as poor as they are but then the claims of making the air colder doesn't seem to always pan out. Being I just found you can make IAT -10*F colder by changing your thermostat.  Most of used the BHAF for years without little to no problem. Guys that live up here in the cold north are looking for a bit of warm air for the intake with temperatures down to -30*F.

Hot Rod pumps LOL... At least just a hot rod pump on a stock truck produces a mere +21 HP. Most that are in the big power goal go for the P-pump more so. If you wanting big fuel for a VP44 there are the dragon fire pumps. Most can get at least 600 HP from just a plain old SO VP44 pump.

Exhaust manifold most here will suggest sticking with the factory manifolds there are no gains really to the 3 piece ones.

I would have to agree that the info they’re is extremely obsolete. 

On 9/3/2018 at 7:53 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

They will eventually crack as well.  Stainless is the way to go to prevent cracking.  

54 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yeap, ordered 2 of them. Lost 8 bucks I think, chinese bastards. Tried contacting seller and they said they'll ship another so a month later no show again and it's been too long to report to eBay go figure. 

Mine got shipped to my cupholder where it still resides... until I find a good source of wastegate tubing.

20 minutes ago, trreed said:

Mine got shipped to my cupholder where it still resides... until I find a good source of wastegate tubing.

I don't really need it either way as I'm relying on quad to do my defueling, I just put a plug where boost elbow used to be in the housing, and hose is just dangling.

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I fall into the more MPG camp.  With MBRP 3" exhaust, HY35, DDRP lift pump (on a relay, and yes I know you folks hate them), 3/8" hose to the filter, 1/2" hose to the VP44, I have a set of stock rebuild injectors that are set to go in this Saturday, along with setting the valve lash. I bough the adapter to test pop-off pressure of both the new ones and the old ones.

What can a guy do next to safely aid MPG? I already drive slowly and have no substantial brake drag, etc.  Mid 17s to upper 18s is my norm.

I also have an Edge EZ that my dad used on his NV5600 dually, but I have no idea if it can be used on an auto.

I am willing to purchase a Quadzilla and injectors or nozzles that are EDM'd/honed, etc., if that will help me get better MPG.  Even buy a HX35 or similar.  The most I see me ever towing is 12k pounds, and with an auto transmission believe me I will baby the thing.

I looked for an article in the 24V section outlining a logical build sheet for guys starting out, but didn't find anything.  Time spent on DAP's website didn't yield much, either.  All the hole number and size ratings in the world don't do me any good if I have no idea what stock is!

I'm getting itchy to get the Cummins running again and get back to the budget mods... :lol:

The transmission I'm building in my garage however... Is costing me slightly more than a budget mod. Goerend 17SS triple disk, BD flex plate, TCS products billet input shaft, Alto rebuild kit with red eagle power packs all around. After that hit... Back to budget upgrades. Speaking of budget, I found some great prices on upgraded valve springs and push rods. If there's any interest maybe I can dig up the info tomorrow.

51 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

lol I bought two of them and never found time to install.

Lol I bought 2 and never received them :lmao:them chinese I tell ya

45 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Speaking of budget, I found some great prices on upgraded valve springs and push rods. If there's any interest maybe I can dig up the info tomorrow.

I'm running Manton 1/2" push rods and conical springs, thing is smove. Got a good deal or it seems like one on them when shopping around so I went for it. Now when i take valve cover off its got some bling, I told Trevor to make some see through valve covers so people can enjoy his product more and he said he already tossed that idea around before. Never know one day we may have em. 

I'd get tapped cover too, it be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

oh oh oh oh I know some one! lol I didnt buy it, if i had the money I would highly suggest a ppump conversion instead of dragon flow...

• Owner

Personally, for a daily driver, I would avoid the P-pump conversions. Most of them end up garage Queens and taking a fairly good loss to the MPG department. For track star or dyno queen yeah a P-pump would be great being the truck is strictly track or dyno. Street truck would have to have good smoke control. I see way too many now that rolling huge black clouds and produce MPG numbers in the mid teens at best.