• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Qaudzilla woes

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

As most here have said the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. 2 things have held me off the quad for now. One is money, the head gasket comes first. 2 is time to get to the hang of what it does. I am electronically challenged a will need help when I get one.

I'm with you there. Money is Ok for now but I am skeeered about the using part. I still have a flip phone! Maybe you and I can go to Quadzilla college together.

• Like 1

• Owner

Using is easy. Just drive the truck.

Tuning... Now that takes a bit of thought. Then program. Test it out. The test some more. Edit and change your tune. Test some more. Its never ending.

As for idle you mention. Quad should NOT affect idle speed, timing or anything that should strictly ECM.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As for idle you mention. Quad should affect idle speed, timing or anything that should strictly ECM.

But it does affect canbus fueling at idle, am I correct? That's where the whole fighting between ECM and quad is for fueling. 

I can't remember where the final revision ended up for quad takeover of fuelling. @Me78569 might clarify. I thought TPS had to be >0%, and RPM above a certain number, maybe 1100 or something, and 100 rpm hysteresis? That's a complete shot in the dark. Likely about 10% truth there so take it for what it's worth.

Now that I think of it... I think maybe TPS was not part of it, because of the trucks with drive by wire cruise control. TPS = 0 on these trucks while cruising.

Idle state is %100 ecm The quad is not sending out fueling and timing commands.  Unless Quad high idle is enabled.  

the way the hand off works is you hit 1000 rpms and the quad takes over until TPS < 2 or rpms rpms fall below 600 rpm in which case the ecm takes back over.  

So there is no jumpin gback and forth of control of fueling unless you are somehow jumping between 1000 rpm and 600 rpm while on the pedal.

Also worth noting you can have odd stuff happen if say your apps isn't reading correct or say your cam / crank sensor is not reading steadyish.

Now you ask, "why doesn't it just work like the edge"  and I say back, because the edge doesn't pull fueling down below stock levels.   It is VERY easy to just add fuel on top of the oem signal. No one ever compains about a couple extra % of fuel off idle.   However you start pulling fueling down off idle and people get mad if you just have a stick cut off point.     It has been awhile, but I believe it took me over a month of coding and testing to get the beta testers happy with it.  I dont even wanna guess how much diesel I burnt lol

Edited by Me78569
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Now you ask, "why doesn't it just work like the edge"  and I say back, because the edge doesn't pull fueling down below stock levels.   It is VERY easy to just add fuel on top of the oem signal. No one ever compains about a couple extra % of fuel off idle.   However you start pulling fueling down off idle and people get mad if you just have a stick cut off point.     It has been awhile, but I believe it took me over a month of coding and testing to get the beta testers happy with it.  I dont even wanna guess how much diesel I burnt lol

I know why it does not act edge and see the benefit to the Quad. The advantage for me at the moment is I dont have to figure it out. It will take a lot effort for me to get hang of it. Time, and money for that matter, is my limiting factor at the moment. I do know when I make the swap i will have help here, but finding that time to play is very limited. I do admire what you and others are doing to help folks with it. Just save me a space in the line when make the change.

3 hours ago, dave110 said:

I'm with you there. Money is Ok for now but I am skeeered about the using part. I still have a flip phone! Maybe you and I can go to Quadzilla college together.

Trying to get us a place in line right now.

7 minutes ago, dripley said:

I know why it does not act edge and see the benefit to the Quad. The advantage for me at the moment is I dont have to figure it out. It will take a lot effort for me to get hang of it. Time, and money for that matter, is my limiting factor at the moment. I do know when I make the swap i will have help here, but finding that time to play is very limited. I do admire what you and others are doing to help folks with it.

I %100 agree, it's not for everyone.  As with most things, the more function you get in a product the more complex it is to use.  give and take.

This is why I always ask " what are you looking to gain" when someone asks if they should switch.  If you don't have a need that the quad can solve then I am always hesitant to tell someone to switch given the increased complexity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sorry I meant to add the not but did that post from my cellphone... :duh:

I guess if quad has nothing to do with idle for timing/fuel then the only reason my truck runs so clean at idle with 150s is higher pop pressure. And my slight hesitation on take off is from pulling canbus to 76 for start and ecm/qwad is fighting for who's right. 

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I %100 agree, it's not for everyone.  As with most things, the more function you get in a product the more complex it is to use.  give and take.

This is why I always ask " what are you looking to gain" when someone asks if they should switch.  If you don't have a need that the quad can solve then I am always hesitant to tell someone to switch given the increased complexity.

Good to hear that. I would like to make the step on day. Just want to have time to work with it. The Comp serves me well for now because it is hands off. A tad smokey with the RV's but the 50's were crappy. I would love to have the power minus the smoke.

I'm also waiting to see what kind of monitor they come up with. The time in my truck is 50-50 empty- towing. I run 5x5 empty and 2-3x3 towing so I don't leave my transmission on the road. With Edge I just push a button to change. Being I'm not like 90% of people nowadays that have a smart phone connected to them 24-7 I would have to fire up a device to change a tune. Waiting 5-10 min. for a device to boot up and hopefully connect without issue does not appeal to me too much.

8 hours ago, dave110 said:

I'm also waiting to see what kind of monitor they come up with. The time in my truck is 50-50 empty- towing. I run 5x5 empty and 2-3x3 towing so I don't leave my transmission on the road. With Edge I just push a button to change. Being I'm not like 90% of people nowadays that have a smart phone connected to them 24-7 I would have to fire up a device to change a tune. Waiting 5-10 min. for a device to boot up and hopefully connect without issue does not appeal to me too much.

Dave to Dave, what injectors are you running?

2 hours ago, dripley said:

Dave to Dave, what injectors are you running?

I'm not really sure. I put this engine in to replace the cracked 53 block I was blessed with. At the time I was running an XZT+ and noticed that this engine ran nearly as good without it as the old one did with it so I assume I have something bigger than stock but not sure. I have some Bosch cores waiting on the shelf just trying to figure out what I want them turned into. And that depends on whether or not I jump into V2. With all the posts about higher HP injectors losing pop pressure within 30-40k miles here lately I;m not sure if I want to go that route or not. Might just be like you and keep the Edge and get 50's. I have an auto. so smoke is a little easier to control. Just really on the fence right now.

I think more people are looking at pop pressure and they is why the "new" issue is coming up.  It is likely that it is common and no one cares.  

I dont think injector size has anything to do with pop pressure settling.  

a nicely tuned 2nd gen with 7 x .010's is about the perfect setup.  You can leave a light at WOT, have 0 smoke and still put down 400 + hp.     auto trucks are easier to tune as the TC isn't locked on take off like a manual truck so there is a bit of room to "mess up " your tune.  

Once I had my tune nailed down, took a day of messing with it to be happy ( but I understand the code behind it so it is easier), I never switched levels or tunes.  I towed with it, raced with it etc.  IE I didn't see any need for a screen.    I didn't need to tow watching in the egt gauge or worry about x y z if that makes sense

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

Yeah, makes sense. But being I don't have a fully built auto. I really don't like the idea of towing with my 400hp race tune. The 47re can do wonders with a few small mods which I have as long as you treat it nice. I don't need a screen for gauges, I already have those. What would be sweet for me is a way to switch between OFF and my 2 favorite tunes without having to boot up a device. A toggle switch like the XZT+ has would be ideal.

• Owner

I like the idea of being headless in town that way the truck is seen as a stock truck. None the wiser. Using my cellphone I don't normally watch the iQuad unless I'm working at correcting a tune issue or using it for diagnostics. Typically I just continue to use my a-pillar gauges and go headless. 

3 hours ago, dave110 said:

What would be sweet for me is a way to switch between OFF and my 2 favorite tunes without having to boot up a device. A toggle switch like the XZT+ has would be ideal.

I prefer it doesn't. This way I can set the tune for level 1 and lock the truck down and there is no way for a thief to figure out how to defeat it. This comes back to a problem with the screen once you have a hardwired display that security feature is dead. ANYONE will be able to tune up the level and defeat the Level 1 lock out.

Couldn't anyone with a BT device connect to it and turn it up anyway? Or is the connection password protected. I'm not interested in the security system feature personally. If the Russians could hack the election I would think any kid nowadays could hack a BT connection :shrug:

Edited by dave110
  • Like 1

I suppose they could.... but it’s very difficult to tell that there is even a Quadzilla, and if they find it, it’s got a generic name for the Bluetooth. 

Then theyd have to download the iQuad app, create a tune, and be close enough to you with the truck on to load up any prank tune. 

Man, that’s a fantastic prank idea. But I’m the only one of my diesel friend group with a quadzilla so I’d be pranking myself. 

• Haha 1