• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil and filter what do u guys run

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

What about Marine bhaf, aren't they the ones have steel Mash inside. I'm a bit nervous myself now, with 7x10 and 62/67/12, I may be pretty close to pushing limits off bhaf. Maybe a chunk of PVC or corrugated/ perforated tile inside the filter will prevent it from collapsing.

like I said I just started running an s&b style filter with a filter box and it's been fine

On 3/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, Miami Outlaw Diesel said:

HERE IS MY SET UP:  

I ran one of them systems before on my old truck from amsoil nice pretty kit until issues mine on the filter base split so ya 3 gal of oil on the highway never again threw it in the trash in my area I wouldn't recommend it the filter close to the engine is better summer it's 90 winter last year  negative 40  

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, vineyardmh said:

Fleetguard oil filters.  Chevron Delo 15W-40...but I am tempted to try the new synthetic 5W-40 next oil change.

I also run a centrifugal oil filter...a Spinner II - bypass filter - that filters down to 1 micron.

How long miles have you running a spinner and what to you think about it?

Down to 1 micron... aren't you also catching some additives that are supposed to be good

9 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

How long miles have you running a spinner and what to you think about it?

Down to 1 micron... aren't you also catching some additives that are supposed to be good

I have been running the Spinner II for about 4 years....30K miles.

Additives are supposed to be liquid - not particulate -  so I don't worry about what it captures.

The main stuff captured would be very fine soot suspended in oil.

Last time I removed it - I weighed the material removed - and it was about 0.7 ounces  - accumulated over 8,000 miles since previous cleaning.

My installation can be seen here -  scroll through the posting and you can see installation photos - and a previous cleaning.

Edited by vineyardmh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
7 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

Actually I'm thinking about switching to this filter after reading that thread  BD7317

Personally I think there is a reason they aren't spec'd for the ISB's in our trucks, and only for lower hp industrial ISB/QSB's. The size of the filter just isn't there to be really good at both full flow and bypass flow, and still get decent filter life. 

There are plenty of guys running them, but not me. 

I'd rather run the DBL7349 that is far better than OEM, and I know it's got enough media/flow. I just got 2 of them for $12.75/ea to the door on Amazon. 

Edited by AH64ID

9 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Personally I think there is a reason they aren't spec'd for the ISB's in our trucks, and only for lower hp industrial ISB/QSB's. The size of the filter just isn't there to be really good at both full flow and bypass flow, and still get decent filter life. 

There are plenty of guys running them, but not me. 

I'd rather run the DBL7349 that is far better than OEM, and I know it's got enough media/flow. I just got 2 of them for $12.75/ea to the door on Amazon. 

Would u think I would have issues with it 

Delo 400 15-40 wix and big filter.

I just resealed the vacumn pump. Not a drip and from nose to rear pinion. The rear pinion grrrr that's another story

Running delo 400 now for about 150k. Few thousand miles to break over 300. 

I spent an hour with steam cleaner so grabbed a pic. So excited to not be leaking

20190402_183401.jpg

16 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Assuming the discussion was about whether or not the Spinner II is sized for our ISB engines - the answer is yes - it is, if you get the proper model (Model 25).  There are various sized Centrifugal bypass filters.  Big rigs might have a flow rate of 2 to 4 gallons per minute, and they have bigger bowls and can store more particulates so that one can go longer without removing and cleaning it.  Some fleets are going to 150K to 250K between complete oil changes; they rely on oil sampling to verify the oil still has adequate life to continue use.

The Spinner II Model 25 is rated suitable for all diesel pickup trucks, and it has 0.8 GPM - which is a trivial 'tap' from the main oil flow through the regular filter - and to the engine.  I clean the bowl about every 15K miles - and the bowl could probably go to 150K miles before needing cleaning.

BTW - I have a second unit that I am going to sell...with most of the mounting hardware and a base plate.  The Spinner II Model 25 lists for $452, and I am going to list mine for $250.