• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Might need a turbo

Return home from our trip up to McCall, Idaho without a hitch after installing the new Timbo APPS at the RV park.  Started doing a service on the truck here at home and noticed a little side play in the turbo shaft.  Don’t know how much play but it’s enough I can feel it.  I’m thinking I should replace it now before it gets worse.

Anyone recommend a good stock replacement turbo?  The truck is a 2000.  Mostly stock. I’ve added Edge Easy box, FASS lift pump, a 4 inch exhaust turbo to Tail pipe and a PakBrake exhaust brake system.  Truck has 110,000 miles on it.

I don’t want a rebuilt turbo, I prefer new without breaking the bank.

Appreciate any opinions

Thanks, Wes.

• Like 1

All turbos have some play when they are stationary.  To correctly assess for excessive side to side movement, you would need to have one hand on the compressor wheel and the other hand on the turbine wheel and then move the shaft side to side without rocking it. Moving the shaft from only one end will give you misleading results because you are rocking the shaft like a teeter totter with the bearing being the fulcrum.

My guess is that your turbo is fine if there are no witness marks showing contact of the shaft to the housing.  I have 316,000 miles on the OEM turbo and it does not feel any different now then when it was new when I check for play.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John.  I might be looking for problems that don’t exist.  I baby this truck so I’m always looking at things trying to catch things before they go out.  My first check engine light in 17 years two weeks ago up in Idaho.  The APPS went out.  Thanks to Micheal and this forum I carry an extra APPS, a Timbo. 

• Staff

From the FSM, how to check  turbo charger shaft for play..

(3) Visually inspect the turbocharger compressor housing for an impeller rubbing condition (Fig. 25). Replace the turbocharger if the condition exists. (4) Measure the turbocharger axial end play: (a) Install a dial indicator as shown in (Fig. 26). Zero the indicator at one end of travel. (b) Move the impeller shaft fore and aft and record the measurement. Allowable end play is 0.038 mm (0.0015 in.) MIN. and 0.089 mm (0.0035 in.) MAX. If the recorded measurement falls outside these parameters, replace the turbocharger assembly. (5) Measure the turbocharger bearing radial clearance: (a) Insert a narrow blade or wire style feeler gauge between the compressor wheel and the housing (Fig. 27). (b) Gently push the compresser wheel toward the housing and record the clearance. (c) With the feeler gauge in the same location, gently push the compressor wheel away from the housing and again record the clearance. (d) Subtract the smaller clearance from the larger clearance. This is the radial bearing clearance. (e) Allowable radial bearing clearance is 0.326 mm (0.0128 in.) MIN. and 0.496 mm (0.0195 in.) MAX. If the recorded measurement falls outside these specifications, replace the turbocharger assy.

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It can be misleading just giving it a wiggle.  I replaced my turbo last summer after I noticed some seepage and a generous amount of play.  I went back to the place I got it a couple months ago because I thought it had play in it again.  The fella gave it a tug, told me it was normal and then let me try it on several other new turbos they had in the shop and they were all the same.  Being this was the first time I have had a new turbo, I guess I expected everything to be nice and tight.  My original turbo lasted about 225k miles before it gave out.

• Like 1