• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

is that a head gasket leak

Been doing some digging on remanned heads also overseas heads (new)

I'd still be at 2k after buying studs and head gasket. Probly closer to 2200 2400

Could potentially fix it by touring bolts slight tigether by a couple lbs

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Stock head bolt do stretch. So torquing bit tighter will stretch the bolt more. Doesn't improve clamping force. The only way is to use a harder bolt or stud. The ARP studs if IIRC is 125 foot pounds on the final torque. Where @dripley said the stock bolts you tightening an extra 90 degree turn.

That last was a pull was tough even with a 24" breaker bar. There more nuts and bolts to deal with than any 3 repairs put together that I have done to this truck. It still was not difficult to do, just time consuming. 

I will most likely put studs on it next year. Money was tight at the time. I also left out the updated rocker assemblies I put in due gauling on some of mine. That would have brought me to $1600.

All bolts stretch. Over time they strech more with heat cycles.

Upgraded HARDER bolts do strech less.

High horsepower high boost motors can actually lift the head off the block stretching bolts.  Even upgraded harder bolts. That's why we want to upgrade our bolts when we see more fuel and pressures beyond what the stock cookie cutter bolts are capable of holding.

If I was on very tight budget I'd for sure give em alittle more strech if it didnt work I'd only be out my time.

2 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Wasn't their some people on here that when head came off they discovered other issues with the things on top, .  Truions or some name like that, that added lots$$$ to the job.  Something hard plastic part?

@Dieselfuture put new updated trunions on his along with several issues with he seals coming off. The trunions he used were not cheap. I bought a set of used of rocker assemblies off of a 6.7 that had the updated trunions in them. Thats the 200 bucks I added to my cost above. I machine work was pretty minimal also. The head was in very good condition according to the machinest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Evan said:

High horsepower high boost motors can actually lift the head off the block stretching bolts.  Even upgraded harder bolts. That's why we want to upgrade our bolts when we see more fuel and pressures beyond what the stock cookie cutter bolts are capable of holding.

Or bolts/studs hold and block split :omg:

15 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dieselfuture refers to his truck as 'the stud stretcher' :lol3:

I'm very happy I'm not in my twenties anymore, where I always wanted to squeeze every last little bit out of anything. On the other hand I'd love to go back when I was in my 20s knowing what I know now.

• Like 4