• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My shocks are shot...

How would I know? It's hard to tell with 8800 gvw truck actually. When I go over the pot-holes / pavement breaks with all the road construction going on... it's hang on & hope the truck comes down in your own lane! Today, running empty on a road I do not often take... I noticed bumps that I got 2-3 jounces on...I don't go off road. Cost is a factor. Anybody have recommendations for good shocks at a reasonable price?Thanks guys,Russ

I replaced my shocks with bilsteins - but they weren't shot. I just thought it would be a better ride. I wouldn't say there was a huge difference - I still liek having them on as its not a huge expense compared to other stuff on the truck - and it is better over the bumps/holes - less of a jar. Don Thuren (and ISX) mentioned to me that I would be better off fixing the backend in these models - not the shocks. But leaf packs are a little expensive - thats the main reason I went with shocks - knowing it may not fix everything. Have you thought of airbags ?? I think Koyote was going to look at this ---- man -- I think that might be the way to go ..... but have to wait till he updates with what he found. Bilstein blue/gold if you not lifted might be a little better, and the rancho's seem to get good reviews. But seriously check out the airbag deal ...... install looked reasonable ...... and cost was cheaper than I thought - and thats cool cause they are adjustable and kinda bit unique :P

A friend of mine has Blistins and they seem to ride really nicely. But he doesn't have the overloads on the truck either so that makes a difference. I think mine has Monroes and it rides like a tank but mine has the overloads. Looking into Carli coils and maybe Top Gunz control arms up front.:thumbup2:

• 1 month later...

I've been pricing at NAPA on-line... my truck is 8800 gvw & has plow prep package. That seems to push the shocks into a higher price catagory. OUCH! Haven't looked at rear yet.I've been further window shopping at O'Reilly's... I need some specific recommendations.

If you have a Sears near you they offer lifetime warranty with free replacement labor. They carry Monroe and Rancho. I have had mine warrantied several times on several pickups, seems Rancho 5000 only last 30-40K miles like clockwork They are shot. Never failed to die at that range on my last 5 pickups. Sears just loves me.:woot: My last set I went through Rockauto.com and went with KYB after talking and researching many different venues of forums. The only forums that promote Bilsteins are the Dodge sites for some reason every other forum bashes them. I like the KYB shocks so far on my 05 and almost a year on them.

• Like 1

These are "big time" pickups. The best out there are the Bilstines!!!! Every shock is compared to them............do I need to ask why???!!!:2cents::smart:

This is a topic much like many others, Subject to personal opinion. After searching about a dozen forums and talking with people with diverse backgrounds I came to the conclusion that KYB is the brand to be compared to. Much like you claim Bilsteins are. What i CAN SAY FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IS THAT rANCHO 5000 Are good but only for a short time which is where sears lifetime warranty comes in handy, Monroes just never cut the mustard for my type of use, I have personally never tried Bilsteins and am not cutting them out or down. Just giving out some info I researched on. Base it off what you want but I read well past Dodge Cummins sites.:2cents: Not trying to be argumentive just trying to give a different view. You will have good and bad expieriences with every product on earth based on type of use and what is preferred such is life.:)

Not trying to be argumentive just trying to give a different view.

Yeah - I have Bilstein 5100's and did a lot of research. Can't say I am overly impressed. They are better than stock - but its not like night/day. I am sure they would be better offroading. But for highway, light offroad - wasn't best bang for $$

i personally have never ran bilsteins either but have installed many on offroad rock crawlers with remote resievors and they are very well built but for on the road driving i dont think they are worth the money. Rancho's are very good shocks and i have never had any issues with them wearing prematurely. but it has already been said that it is a personal choice. just my :2cents::thumbup2:

the one thing i thought made the biggest difference in the ride quality of these trucks were the coils....i couldn't believe how different the truck handled after replacing the factory coils....I tried some of the KORE VR coils first & they were alright....i thought they were a bit stiff for these trucks.....I think Carli coils are the best....I couldn't believe the difference in the ride quality after putting on the Carli coils.....

• 1 month later...

I had the Rancho shocks on my truck and just didn't like the ride they gave. I replaced them with the Monroe Sensatrac shocks (37104 & 37105) all around. I'm really happy with them, great ride. Sensatrac shocks also have a limited lifetime warranty. I replaced them twice on my truck. Monroe customer service was great. In my situation I purchased the shocks in Arizona but now live in Ohio. Because I couldn't return them to the shop where purchased they shipped the to the house at no charge.