• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dirty turbo vane and what to do about it.

• Staff

I was under the hood working in something else not long ago and had to remove the intake tube between the filter and turbo and saw this. I am now concerned that somehow dirt or fine particles are passing through to the intercooler and engine.

Is there a way to clean this wheel without complete disassembly?

I would assume it's the filter letting this pass. It's a fram, not sure of the part#. It was in there and new when I bought the truck. Clamps and such were tight so leaves me to blame the filter. Thoughts????

IMG_20210321_123716904.jpg

• Staff

I tried to see if there was any movement, didn't feel any. Tried side to side and in/out. Didn't feel anything noticable.

I did notice the fram filter is starting to get pretty dirty. It isn't registering anything on the filter minder though. Maybe it don't work? 

May be time for a BHAF.

I have heard the oe air box tends to deform with age and can let dust in. I have not experienced that just read it. I took mine off many years back. My blades have similar color the best I can tell from your picture, though it is defintely out of focus.

Little bit of black is fine, this bobcat is really black....... as I said ..... shiney edge is dust as it polishes the black off of the edge

Get a clearer picture just to be sure but I wouldn't be overly worried 

It’s also possible the previous owner had a K&N type filter in it and pulled it when it was put up for sale. I ran the Donaldson BHAF the first go around. The BHAF sat on top of the studs for the factory air box. I put some small vacuum hose over to protect it. I replaced it with a Wix BHAF. It is a little smaller. It fits between the studs with no chance to hit them. The air box I was going to build is on the back burner now. 😂 

This is what I have. I thought it was the same filter that I had purchased at NAPA. We were discussing the smaller ones in another thread a month or so back when I notice the part # on mine is different. I went on Donaldson's website and keyed this part# in they recognize it. It is different part# from what I used in the past. I waiting on a response from them to see what I really have.

20190712_232714.jpg.0acfea1b196cd2b8fc2057acacc17f17.jpg20190712_232758.jpg.17ecc74e216a221d46fa2bdabc0926ca.jpg

I went back on Donaldson's site and it still did not recognize it so I chatted with them. According them this is for an OEM appication and not available after market, though I managed to buy 4 of them. He could not tell the application but gave some info. Reading this, this filter maybe a bit restrictive. He said it woud be close to the ECB filters listed begining with 08. The first few run from 175 cfm to 280 cfm. There is one odd ball further down the list rated at 970 cfm. 

20519_jQjM9OQvUkG7g_Ipeu1eZA_Duralite+Air+Cleaners.pdf

I have noticed a little drop in boost and that could be filter clogging up. Thought I had a small boost leak. Felt more like the engine defueling a bit at higher rpm. Got about 50k on this one and will throw a new on when I get home. So all in all I still pretty much dont know what I have. Maybe @AH64ID might know a lot more than me. But since Donaldson cant tell me anything it, who knows.

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Surface area of the BHAFs in the article:

1. 12.38"h x 8.5"d = 330.59 in²
  2. 10.50"h x 10.5"d = 346.35 in²      ~ 04% larger than #1
  3. 11.88"h x 10.5"d = 391.87 in²      ~ 18% larger than #1    ~ 13% larger than #2
Edited by IBMobile