• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Compressor Dirt

The shiney polished leading edge is a 100% indicator of sucking unfiltered air, if a turbo has done 100's of hrs (sorry my job is in hrs not miles) like 5k 10k then you would expect to see your picture, if it hasn't done many hrs/ miles then check out the air cleaner/filter as it's not "cleaning"........a lot of hrs sucking dust the leading edge can get quite sandblasted with pits

with dark carbon on the rest of the vane

• Thanks 1

Wednesday I should have a Donaldson BHAF. Is there a consensus on whether a heat shield is required, especially at low HP levels? Seems like radiant heat from turbo could damage the filter material, but real world testing by those without a shield seems to indicate it's a non-issue.

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

Wednesday I should have a Donaldson BHAF. Is there a consensus on whether a heat shield is required, especially at low HP levels? Seems like radiant heat from turbo could damage the filter material, but real world testing by those without a shield seems to indicate it's a non-issue.

No shield on mine since my first one installed about 10years ago.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Paper filter is better way to go

That's what it has on it, a WIX stock-style panel in the stock airbox.

30 minutes ago, dripley said:

How do you like that new turbo?

It's pretty good, but with stock reman injectors and my conservative driving habits there's not much to talk about!  I still haven't done anything about the wastegate, but have been in recent contact with the BenzForce gentleman, sending him photos and dimensions.  He said he's been pretty busy with some other project but now is looking at this again.  My free time to address the wastegate will be in short supply for a couple of months, so hopefully the baling wire holds a while longer!

On 4/24/2021 at 9:32 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

BHAF is way better than most filter and given a bad name... But they do flow more than enough for our trucks. 

I have often wondered about this. On level 3 my filter minder pulls down some. I did some research before, to try and use the 4" (3rd gen/4th gen) but it wont fit my box. This thread got me looking again.

Per Wix, the only company I could find CFM specs for, says the 2" filter for my truck is only 140 cfm. It don't give a CFM for the 4".

Yet, the '91 factory filter, similar to a BHAF is 450 cfm. For a '93 (they changed it some) 290

The small BHAF is 425 and the large one is 680. I never really wanted a BHAF but......

What say the experts:)

I went ahead and placed an order for the Napa #6469 w/air housing, flows 470 cfm. They are somewhat hard to come by, closest one was Texas. It is the one I use on my Ford conversion. Napa had the open style in stock but was hesitant about heat and debris exposure. 

AH64ID, (he knows filters) thought it was a good choice.

1101180752a.jpg.bcfa21dd640cd36739488f3fd77d232e.jpg

download.png.ba48bf90c036351e5a221f40925e6734.png

Edited by NIsaacs

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@NIsaacs could you list that housing you go a link or something I'm curious...

Here is a link to Fleetguard, spendy and 2-3 week order times. Napa is about $65 my cost.

PS: it is 11.88"x10.5" w/4" id.

https://www.simplyfilter.com/AIRHOUSING-p/ah1139.htm

Edited by NIsaacs