• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starter contact wear.

Is this enough wear to cause a no start. Getting just a click. With starter and jumping passed relay.

I think these are larrybs contacts about 8 years on them. 

Thinking ill put this back together and chase voltage cable issues.  Both batteries new two weeks ago. 

I havent done cables ever so I guess it might be time for terminals and cable's ill build them 

Was hoping to just have worn contacts but I dont think thats causing my problem.  

Had a slow cranking issue paired with a fuel leak for awhile and kinda letting it go cause I don't drive it much lately 

Starter is factory starter from 02

20210530_130123.jpg

Contacts look good, mine were gone completely when it quit starting. I'm glad to see Larry's contacts still looking good after 8 years, (miles?) I got his kit with a new plunger and spring is believe, make sure it's all clean and moves freely. I think ibmobil is right sounds like connection issues. 

• Staff

I have replaced around 5 starter motors on my first and second gen/ Cummins dodges. Usually it is the starter. One had an internal short and could draw down the batteries in very short time. Thought it was weak batteries so jumpered it to the truck with new batteries. It took all the juice out of those as well. At that point I bought another starter, a good brand of rebuild checking the reviews.

Some say if you have the original ND starter don't let it go, just hang on to it for future.

Check the solder on solenoid, I've seen it come loose from contact itself inside, can't see it unless you take it apart. These starters should go through few sets of contacts before any other work needs on them. I spoke with a local rebuilder a while back and he fixed a lot of starters for ups diesel trucks, he told me they would put 3-4 sets of contacts before it needed complete rebuild. 

As far as cables I say make them yourself. I did mine for about 115 bucks including the terminals. Used the military style battery terminals for another 20. I soldered mine with no issues since I did them 3 years ago. If you have a crimping tool you can crimp them instead. Some do not like the soldered connection.

I used these tinned lugs in various sizes and perceived the quality to be quite high.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073Y8443Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I borrowed a crimper and also soldered, followed with heat shrink.

These terminals are similar story.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LLWKXV6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I've been doing jeep cables with a harbor freight hydraulic crimper. Works great. 

Husky auto electric guy ive known most all my life says no to solder. 

Autozone starter is in truck cranks fast. Kept my Denson.

Also this tool roll is badass been using it at work and in the jeep.  Atlas46.com has badass rolls too. This ones by stepp22.

Thanks guys for the help. I didnt want to believe it was the starter. Lol

20210601_200109.jpg

20210601_201837.jpg

20210601_202010.jpg

I read pros and cons on the solder and since I did not have crimper I just soldered them and they have held up fine for the past 3 years. I think a man has to do what he feels best with. Thought about HF crimper but did not know how well they work. Apparently ok.

2 hours ago, Evan said:

I think time in general causes failures we cummins guys at times are picky most everything works right up until it doesn't any more 

A lot of truth in that. My stuff acts the same way. :think: Hmmm. it was working fine yesterday. 

• Like 1

Had the same issue, no start and just a single click. Checked voltages and wiring next was the starter. Pulled it out and tore into it, found some badly worn contacts! Quick and easy fix to just re-build re-install and move on. Cheap and easy. 

• Owner

Just keep in mind about the starter brushes they will wear out about the life of two sets contacts. I've still got my OEM starter in the shop and need a set of brushes for the starter and new contacts it would be ready for an extended life now. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man