• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Who likes Bilsteins?

I've had it with mine, they ride so dang stiff, reminds me of my 79 F-150 when I had 6 Rancho shocks on it.  I'll be pulling them off soon and tossing a set of Monroe Reflex shocks back on it.  I asked my co-worker, if I was an old man with a glass taint, what shocks would you sell me?  It's ok, she already thinks I'm weird.  :lol:  If anyone is interested in them I'll be tossing them in the classifieds when I get them out.  

I got the bilstein 5100 on mine, even though I don't have a lift they fit fine a little too long maybe but never came close to bottoming out, I was always more worried about fronts not stopping front end from dropping too far and loosing a spring but since it stays mostly on road I haven't had a problem. 

My truck was always a rough riding sob. So I'm not sure if Bilstein is to blame, I believe when I got my truck it still had original shocks on it and it was rough then. My f350 at work is much softer ride :lmao:

I may be trying different shocks too if you find good ones .... Let us know. 

Through the years here I've seen people mentioning lots of brands that worked for some and not others :shrug: so I just keep on trucking with what I got. What sold me was a bigger piston, bla, bla, bla and I had a tundra with 4600 I believe that was a nice ride. Maybe 4600 are way better for DD.

I have had Bilsteins 4600's for about 130,000 miles now (since 2015).  They have worked out fine for me.  The truck rides and handles good.  I have heard that the 5100's are stiffer than the 4100's.  You did not mention which shocks you have.

- John

• Like 1

• Staff

Do not get Monroe Reflex shocks!!!

My pickup had them on it when I bought it in Dec 2020. The front shocks had a date of install of Feb 28, 2020 and both the front shocks were blown out when I bought the pickup. When ever I hit a major bump in the pavement, the front suspension would bottom out on the bump stops. 

I found a set of 4  Bilstein 5100's for my pickup for $143 shipped from a guy 200 miles away. I pulled the Reflex shocks off and when collapsing them by hand, they wouldn't even rebound at all.

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:42 PM, Tractorman said:

I have had Bilsteins 4600's for about 130,000 miles now (since 2015).  They have worked out fine for me.  The truck rides and handles good.  I have heard that the 5100's are stiffer than the 4100's.  You did not mention which shocks you have.

- John

I wonder if there's different locations where they get manufactured or just plain luck. Seems like everything else there's mix reviews about it. I also found where people claim 5100 are softer ride with no evidence to back it up and this link below where they show actual numbers

Bilstein 5100 – 986.9/287.7

Bilstein 4600 – 843.0/85.4

higher number = stiffer ride.

If you scroll down you'll see the numbers

https://toolingfun.com/bilstein-4600-vs-5100-shocks-differences/

There's also a link to KYB vs Bilstein in there.

https://toolingfun.com/bilstein-vs-kyb-shocks-different-monomax-5100/

I'm probably just going to get a set of 4600 for the front and try them out, I can always put 5100 back in. I need something to do anyways other than go to work every day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm probably just going to get a set of 4600 for the front and try them out

They certainly won't break the bank to try out.  Hopefully your experience is better than mine.  I just checked, and I only have about 50,000 highway miles on my 4600s on the front, and they are far gone, should've changed thousands of miles ago.  I rarely venture off pavement, and I am conscious of driving to extend suspension component life - like slowing for curbs, potholes and the like.  Maybe 45,000 is okay for the application, with that heavy engine up front!

• Staff

I have a suspicion that a lot of parts get farmed out. Companies always have profit margin concerns... company buyers trying to find the less expensive source for keeping their manufactering side supplied with those parts. I don't know how much this goes on... I think some companies are more loyal to their customers, to their employees, so when they say it's made buy our company, that is where it is made according to their standards. There really isn't a way to know. KYB was sold to me convincing me that they are a solidly built shock and solidly built company.

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

They certainly won't break the bank to try out.  Hopefully your experience is better than mine.  I just checked, and I only have about 50,000 highway miles on my 4600s on the front, and they are far gone, should've changed thousands of miles ago.  I rarely venture off pavement, and I am conscious of driving to extend suspension component life - like slowing for curbs, potholes and the like.  Maybe 45,000 is okay for the application, with that heavy engine up front!

I've had 5100 on there for a while now and I'm ok with them, they handle good and I have no bounce at all. I can stand on the number front/rear and try to bounce it but its not easy to do and the second I stop truck stops, so I know they are working. I'm just hoping by putting in 4600 it'll be a softer ride and according to Bilstein they are made same internally so technically should last same or close. 

So you saying if you bounce your truck it keeps going after you stop, like if you didn't have shocks at all?

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

it keeps going after you stop, like if you didn't have shocks at all

Yes.  They may be doing something, but nothing like when they were new.  It oscillates 2-3 times after I let go.  I really liked them when new!

• Thanks 1

I put 5100’s on mine a couple of years ago   I don’t remember what I took off. The truck did ride a little rougher.  What has helped with softening the ride for me is when I’m not towing I put 60psi in the front and 45psi in the back. I also took the rear sway bar off when I installed the Timbrens. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LorenS said:

Maybe 45,000 is okay for the application, with that heavy engine up front!

Been thinking about this, trying to figure out if that matters or not. Spring is what's going to support the weight, shocks technically stopped the axle from bouncing under the truck :think:

I'm also wondering about longevity of lower ball joints in the shock choice. If you got stiff shocks wouldn't that hammer ball joints quicker. :think: :shrug:

I agree the 5100’s ride stiff, but they are the only one’s I’ve had on the front that haven’t blown out. I have a heavy front bumper like yours, and between that and our straight up and down mountain roads with pot holes everywhere, and the rutted out curvy old dirt logging roads I’ve blown 2 shocks on 2 different part store sets, both times towing heavy on rough steep roads. The 5100’s seem more robust knock on wood. Also, it took about 7,000 miles to break mine in, they did soften a little. For what it’s worth, the ride is honestly about the same on my 4th Gen 3500 with Thuren shocks and coils.

• Like 1

I have the 5100's, got about 15k miles on them.  They are just too jarring, make it feel like my truck is falling apart faster than it really is.  They do make the truck feel more stable in the turns, but I'm not trying to set lap records in this thing.  I had a set of Monroe gas magnum shocks before the bilsteins and they were definitely smoother.  I got the Reflex shocks from work, if they do blow out I'll have no problem getting my money back.  Tomorrow I'll be swapping the shocks and installing some 5th gen take off wheels/tires to see if Mikes setup will work for me as well as it does for him.