• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

I was told the VP trucks are brutal on FP gauges. My Stewart Warner needs some slappen' around to get it to behave right. Only 5 years old and an electronic sensor type, I'm disappointed.The pulsating is what is supposed to be hard on them but, how is that so bad on an electronic one ? I even had the Vulcan small orific to prevent that. :shrug: Next weekend Source automotive is putting on a mechanical one. Is that what's best? :shrug: What brand do you guys have that's lasted? Like to know a little bit on how they are made and what type is best for our VP trucks.T.i.a.

• Owner

The pulsating is what is supposed to be hard on them but, how is that so bad on an electronic one ?

Water hammer damages both mechanical and electric gauges just the same... Doesn't matter.

I even had the Vulcan small orific to prevent that.

The non-adjustable orfice doesn't seem to protect as good as a needle valve when is adjustable. The gauge should rise up slowly. But most snubbers like you are using are not small enough and damage is still done to the sender or gauge.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=M33ZCc8b-7Q

7 year old DiPricol Mechanical and still going strong... :thumbup2:
  • Like 2

• Staff

Thanks a bunch.......I know Source uses a needle valve. I'm hoping it's an adjustable one like yours Mike. That is cooloosys. They are also using a rubber hose to help absorb more of the water hammer too. Then they change from fluid to air pressure when they get close to the gauge. Does that sound good?

• Owner

Thanks a bunch.......I know Source uses a needle valve. I'm hoping it's an adjustable one like yours Mike. That is cooloosys. They are also using a rubber hose to help absorb more of the water hammer too. Then they change from fluid to air pressure when they get close to the gauge.

Does that sound good?

Grease gun hose will NOT absorb any water hammer... :rolleyes:

The hose would have to be capable of expanding and contracting to dampen pulse but a grease gun hose is rated for what? 4,000 - 5,000 PSI I hardly doubt it will do a darn thing...

I had an electronic westach fuel psi sender for years on my 02 with not a single glitch and no snubber or needle valve.:thumbup2:

He's right Westach is a very plain jane gauge average price but don't require any dampening device. They are already design with it internally. :smart:
  • Like 1

• Staff

Westach would be the one to go then. Sounds very good. Source wants about 275- 300 bucks, parts and about an hour labor, to put in the new gauge where the old one is, w/ new needle valve . I'll call and see if they can grab a Westach on their parts runs. :thumbup2:

I have Isspro for fuel pressure. It does a good job. Be sure to order the green condom for the bulb inside the gauge so it burns green to match the dash.I have three Glow shift gauges on my A pillar. They turn 7 different colors with a push of a button and dim when the headlights come on. HOWEVER, they are a bit bright at night (even dimmed) and I have to turn them on the red color, which doesn't mess with our night vision. It is much more comfortable. Daytime I turn it on one of the blue colors (even though the dash is green) because, I am 52 years old and I need reading glasses up close now. Accidently I put them on the blue color and instead of being the usual blur as it normally is on the green or red colors, it was perfectly clear to me, just like I was wearing glasses. That is very nice. Price on the Glow Shift was really good as well.Bob

• Like 1

i have a autometer gauge mounted on the steering column(easy to monitor there below the speedo)i don't know if it's because of i have it hooked up but 5 years now i'v had no issues w/water hammer.i have a 90* elbow mounted on the vp44 a 8-10in piece of fuel line then the "T" fitting holding pressure sensor.i hope this may help someone with their setup.:cool:

Grease gun hose will NOT absorb any water hammer... :rolleyes:

The hose would have to be capable of expanding and contracting to dampen pulse but a grease gun hose is rated for what? 4,000 - 5,000 PSI I hardly doubt it will do a darn thing...

He's right Westach is a very plain jane gauge average price but don't require any dampening device. They are already design with it internally. :smart:

LOL I thought that when they first started saying to put a grease gun hose on it. Always thought I was "missing" some part of a bigger picture.

I also have di pricol but they are out of business so I recommend isspro. Mine is settup just like Mike's and it has never missed a beat.

I also have a Dipricol as well. No needle vavle just an isolator from Vulcan. from somewhere '05 maybe '06. Only thing with the gauge is one light seems to randomly work.

I am relocating my gauge from the cubby hole to the top of the dash. I miss my cubby. :lol: Been looking at electric gauges. These are nice but spendy. Speedhut Still not set on them yet. Might just stick with the mechanical one for now as it still does work.

• Like 1

• Staff

Appreciate all the info...... Source Automotive will be settin' me up.... was looking at their website and they sell some dang good stuff. Their needle valve is an all brass one with a brass cross handle to adjust it :thumbup2:Then they have a couple/ three choices of gauges.... Isspro standards and the EV2's with different faces and also the AutoMeter brand with a couple options. They even have the ones that you can change the light colors.Pretty soon I'll be number one Fuel Pressure Head :cookoo: