• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Extreme cold!!!

Don't forget the parasitic heat loss as the thermostat has a vent hole in it so it circulates a small amount of coolant 100% of the time even if it is closed.You did hit a big one with engine blanket but you would need to insulate the oil pan as that is where most of the heat goes via wind chill factors.I have driven 65 mph in -20* and colder temps and the temp gauge never went past 150* if that a few times in my 05 with auto with front totally blocked off, in this case the parasitic loss from the cold wind chills blowing past the engine and oil pan sucked a lot of generated heat. These are trips where the insulated gloves stay on all the way home as the cab never warms up.

• Like 1

I've always been told NOT to block the radiator or the front in that manner because of airflow restrictions. That's why I've got a winterfront on the grill to allow air still. I suppose just not air directly at the radiator/inter-cooler. Then again, I'm not in such cold areas as you other guys' are.As well, it would probably be more work than its worth, but you could always look into making a shroud for your exhaust manifold and have the air filter draw its air from this and then in the summer have a bypass of some sort. :2cents:

Don't forget the parasitic heat loss as the thermostat has a vent hole in it so it circulates a small amount of coolant 100% of the time even if it is closed. You did hit a big one with engine blanket but you would need to insulate the oil pan as that is where most of the heat goes via wind chill factors. I have driven 65 mph in -20* and colder temps and the temp gauge never went past 150* if that a few times in my 05 with auto with front totally blocked off, in this case the parasitic loss from the cold wind chills blowing past the engine and oil pan sucked a lot of generated heat. These are trips where the insulated gloves stay on all the way home as the cab never warms up.

Yeah I mentioned the oil pan lol. I want to see oil temp readings in the summer vs winter to back this up though. I mean the oil pan isn't aluminum so I'm not sure just how big of an effect 8 or so inches by maybe 5 inches of cold steel has on the oil. Steel doesn't exactly transfer heat that good so to me it's kind of a crapshoot to say if it plays a big factor or not until I see some oil temp readings. Ideally a gasser is the only thing to have in the winter from what I can tell. They put a lot more heat into the coolant due to inefficiencies. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is it possible to run the espar unit while driving? I mean with a gasser you are paying for the heat by using more fuel than a diesel truck, so if you used more fuel (in the espar) you would have the same effect of getting more heat.

RyanThe title of this thread is "Extreme Cold" which to me means 0 and below.If you have not experienced it before it is not easy to describe.Anything above 0 is not even a remote comparison to how iron and metal and heat acts in sub zero, the sub zero temps isn't the only thing to consider, add 20-40 mph winds on top of sub zero temps and it is a whole new game changer it sucks any heat out of things almost as fast as it can be generated.You are more than welcome to come on up and do all the testing you want if you are willing to stand out in these conditions and do it........I lived my life out of a service truck working on all types of equipment for about 10 years and a lot of it in zub zero temps and windchills, so I can say it with confidence.

• Like 1

Well I guess I have some experimenting to do. The only problem I have is its only about 5 miles to work one way. I know its really not good on the motor because it never gets a chance to fully warm up anyway. I want to try and help it any way I can.

That's one of many reasons I have a gas truck, My current drive in 7 miles to work. This has been very interesting to read so far.:thumbup2:

He is not too far from International Falls Minnesota "200 miles maybe"which is the coldest town on record in the lower 48 in winter.

They got beat a few years ago. Tower, Mn (just a bit south of International Falls) hit -60*! I have been in -40* and even that is cold. I can't imagine what -60* would be like.

Thought this tid bit would fit right in with this conversation. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm State by state low temperature records State Temp. Date Station Elevation ( F) (feet) Alabama -27 Jan. 30, 1966 New Market 760 Alaska -80 Jan. 23, 1971 Prospect Creek 1,100 Arizona -40 Jan. 7, 1971 Hawley Lake 8,180 Arkansas -29 Feb. 13, 1905 Pond 1,250 California -45 Jan. 20, 1937 Boca 5,532 Colorado -61 Feb. 1, 1985 Maybell 5,920 Connecticut -32 Feb. 16, 1943 Falls Village 585 Delaware -17 Jan. 17, 1893 Millsboro 20 Florida - 2 Feb. 13, 1899 Tallahassee 193 Georgia -17 Jan. 27, 1940 N. Floyd County 1,000 Hawaii 12 May 17, 1979 Mauna Kea 13,770 Idaho -60 Jan. 18, 1943 Island Park Dam 6,285 Illinois -36 Jan. 5, 1999 Congerville 722 Indiana -36 Jan. 19, 1994 New Whiteland 785 Iowa -47 Feb. 3, 1996* Elkader 770 Kansas -40 Feb. 13, 1905 Lebanon 1,812 Kentucky -37 Jan. 19, 1994 Shelbyville 730 Louisiana -16 Feb. 13, 1899 Minden 194 Maine -48 Jan. 19, 1925 Van Buren 458 Maryland -40 Jan. 13, 1912 Oakland 2,461 Massachusetts -35 Jan. 12, 1981 Chester 640 Michigan -51 Feb. 9, 1934 Vanderbilt 785 Minnesota -60 Feb. 2, 1996 Tower 1,430 Mississippi -19 Jan. 30, 1966 Corinth 420 Missouri -40 Feb. 13, 1905 Warsaw 700 Montana -70 Jan. 20, 1954 Rogers Pass 5,470 Nebraska -47 Feb. 12, 1899 Camp Clarke 3,700 Nevada -50 Jan. 8, 1937 San Jacinto 5,200 New Hampshire -47 Jan. 29, 1934 Mt. Washington 6,288 New Jersey -34 Jan. 5, 1904 River Vale 70 New Mexico -50 Feb. 1, 1951 Gavilan 7,350 New York -52 Feb. 18, 1979* Old Forge 1,720 North Carolina -34 Jan. 21, 1985 Mt. Mitchell 6,525 North Dakota -60 Feb. 15, 1936 Parshall 1,929 Ohio -39 Feb. 10, 1899 Milligan 800 Oklahoma -31 Feb. 9, 2011 Nowata 709 Oregon -54 Feb. 10, 1933* Seneca 4,700 Pennsylvania -42 Jan. 5, 1904 Smethport est. 1,500 Rhode Island -25 Feb. 5, 1996 Greene 425 South Carolina -19 Jan. 21, 1985 Caesars Head 3,100 South Dakota -58 Feb. 17, 1936 McIntosh 2,277 Tennessee -32 Dec. 30, 1917 Mountain City 2,471 Texas -23 Feb. 8, 1933* Seminole 3,275 Utah -69 Feb. 1, 1985 Peter's Sink 8,092 Vermont -50 Dec. 30, 1933 Bloomfield 915 Virginia -30 Jan. 22, 1985 Mountain Lake 3,870 Washington -48 Dec. 30, 1968 Mazama 2,120 Winthrop 1,755 West Virginia -37 Dec. 30, 1917 Lewisburg 2,200 Wisconsin -55 Feb.4, 1996 Couderay 1,300 Wyoming -66 Feb. 9, 1933 Riverside 6,650 *Also on earlier dates at the same or other places. Source: U.S. National Climatic Data Center (Last updated August 2006)

Coldest I have seen was -25* with a wind chill of 40 to 45* for about a week and a half in Wilkes Barre PA. That was cold enough for me. My plumber worked every day jack hammering dirt that was frozen like concrete just to rough in a slab. Had Chevy gasser that he came by and jumped off for me every morning. That Chevy did not like cold weather.

• Staff

I use the Mopar winter front and I do notice a difference. My motor is also slower to warm than it was in OEM form due to a coolant filter, water-cooled turbo, high flow cam, and low backpressuwre turbo. The time to warm was decreased, but not drastically. Where the big change ow noticed is operating temp is 3-8 deg higher, it doesn't cool off as soon as I stop, and the block heater is much more efficient. In temps hovering around 0 I cannot close all 4 flaps and drove above 50 without starting to run at the upper end of the thermostat range, 205-207. I think ink the behind the grill, in front of the condenser fronts are the best. They keep most the cold air out of the engine bay, but still let some air flow over the radiator and put warm air onto the engine. They also increase IATs for improves combustion, vs having the cardboard only in front of the radiator. Thats my .02, and I will always run a front it cools off. The coldest I have seen is in the -25 range.

So what is a good anti gel additive I can use? I have been eyeballing the Howe's Diesel treatment stuff since that's what I sell at work. I'm sure once it gets cold enough it probably wont matter what I put in the tank. Thoughts?? The truck is the only vehicle we have between the two of us so it needs to be reliable through the winter.

So what is a good anti gel additive I can use? I have been eyeballing the Howe's Diesel treatment stuff since that's what I sell at work. I'm sure once it gets cold enough it probably wont matter what I put in the tank. Thoughts?? The truck is the only vehicle we have between the two of us so it needs to be reliable through the winter.

How is your truck kept????? In garage??? Out all night and day???? Granted it gets much colder up in GF, NoDak than here where I'm at; but I've used nothing as a fuel additive in my '04.5 except 2 stroke oil since about 2005-2006. No gelling problems for me. And I've driven a few times in temps as low as -15* or so for hundreds of miles also without fuel problems. Just saying.

It lives outside 24/7. We live on campus so there isn't really anyway to park it inside. I keep it plugged in at night and i will start plugging it in at work during the day pretty soon. I run 2 stroke oil as well. I just don't want to wake up to go to work and drop the wife off at class and have the truck not run because of something as simple as gelled fuel.

I wouldn't worry about any additives, just run #2 until around temps stay at or below freezing constant then switch to 75 /25 and that will be good until 0 and then a 50/50, in your case and not knowing the stations up there you may just want to run the 'Winterized" fuel or just go with 50/50 and add 2 stroke to play it safe.

Do not add any 2 stroke to any so called "winterized" fuel like cenex ect, it will actually have the opposite effect and could cause it to wax or gell even sooner. Same with mixing winterized fuel with another type of fuel, the additives they add to winterized fuel do not play well with other fuels. If it is just plain old 50/50 mixes or straight blends you are ok just beware the actual"Winterized" Cenex actually has a winterized fuel and are about the only ones who tell you straight out and have signs posted to not blend or mix it with anything else.

Stick with one thing and one reputable station, stay away from the "Corner stops" Stick with good fuels, I happen to have the best luck with Cenex brand fuels in the state, every thing I own runs better on it versus the Tesoro fuel. I like Conoco fuel as well but they pulled out of our area this summer.

• Like 1