• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Most miles on factory original VP injection pump?

• Staff

233k on my original unit so far.

Welcome to the forum .....That's good numbers btw.... mine was showing the 0216 code for 4 yrs, doing 1500 mile round trips that way before Mike changed it at 83,000.

I wonder what the shortest distance an original VP made it

• Staff

Well the original VP44 had several weak points. Brass timing piston sleeve, diaphragm issues, etc. With the 027 Rev pumps it should last a very long time.

Were these weak points in VP's all the way up to the later 2002 model trucks?

Mines on her 5th pump. Original went out at 130]

Must have a lot of miles on that truck.

• Owner

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?app=garage&do=item_list&search_term=1794&search_field=member_id&search_method=exact

184k miles and 5 pumps. That's only 36,800 miles per pump.

Were these weak points in VP's all the way up to the later 2002 model trucks?

These were all weak point through the REVisions of the VP44 from the start to the end which is 027. I don't know of any other changes. I'm sure revisions started in the release of the VP44.

184k.... I got it at 165. PO replaced injection pump at 130k and replaced the lift pump with a POS little gas pump. I threw a fass on it as soon as I bought the truck but the damage was already done. Then I went through 2 blue chip Pumps in a month. Now no problems with the industrial injection.

Doesn't speak to good about BlueChip to have 2 pumps fail in a month. :duh:

Almost no customer support, wouldn't return my phone calls then in the end said my truck was the problem not the pumps. Did NOT get all of my money back either.

• Staff

I find it very maddening that a company that gives such a write up about how their VP's are better than anyone else could do that to you. I think if Chip was still on the job it wouldn't be that way.

I find it very maddening that a company that gives such a write up about how their VP's are better than anyone else could do that to you. I think if Chip was still alive it wouldn't be that way.

Ok, I need to jump in here. Chip is very much alive at Blue Chip just retired and not on the phone as much as he was. You can still reach him by calling and selecting option #8. This news is from Tom at Blue Chip Diesel and he quoted this from Chip,         “Chip had said many times that the operating environment has EVERYTHING to do with life expectancy of a VP44. Long time of no use, long idle periods, and start stop start stop are all bad.”        I also have a Premium Special x VP44 pump that is now 2 years old. I made several calls to Chip with no issues at all. He did all that he could to explain the function and installment and believe it or not I can read and did read all the info for installation but still had some questions it being my first one. I understand what you are saying as well going through 5 pumps, two of which are Blue Chip before an Industrial Injection VP44 worked. What was wrong with the other 3 pumps that failed and what did you do different before or after the Industrial Injection pump was installed. I would like to have all of the facts before I start running someone in the ground (other posts). It’s obvious that Blue Chip (Chip Fisher) isnot popular among some of the members mostly because of price. I didn’t buy a Blue Chip to spend a lot of money but at the time 2 ½ years ago Chip Fisher was the only vendor I found that sold a VP44 with a new computer and that’s what I was looking for. A few weeks ago, I noticed that Industrial Injection (?) now sells a VP44 with a new computer and that equates to ZERO heat cycles. The first thing I was told on a Forum is I screwed up buying a pump with advanced timing and maybe I did because I can’t use a tuner with timing but according to Chip “you can always add more timing if needed” now I don’t fully understand the timing issues or how many degrees timing will advance on a Cummins 24 valve diesel engine but I am learning, a good recommendation on a Factory Service/Repair Manual would be a great help. One last comment, Chip does have a ton of information available for anyone who needs it along with other vendors who share presentations, videos, and written documentation to educate the public when working on their own vehicles, for that I would personally like to say Thank you, keep up the great work.

Edited by SLT5Spd99

• Staff

Paul you read this wrong... I'm not the one who went thru so many VP's. I just complained about Blue Chip Diesel in the customer mistreatment department based on What TFaoro said.

But, I do understand what yer saying.... I should not bad mouth somebody not knowing all the facts. You are absolutely right. I apologize to everyone concerned esp. Blue Chip Diesel.