• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

• 1 month later...

Just to keep this updated, I did install a new Mopar fan clutch (Works perfect), a new PS pump, and a new hydroboost. Brakes do seem to work a bit better, and there's only a touch of noise coming from the PS pump when turning at 1100ish rpm.

The trip to Arizona wasn't fun. We left around 8pm and around 3:30 to 4:00am blew the #1 injection line just above where it seals to the injection pump. With no options and another 5ish hours to go I decided to just run it on 5cyl and let it blow fuel everywhere. I had plenty of power, but things were running pretty hot. The smell of fuel in the cab was miserable but we pushed through and made it to our destination. The guy I bought the skid steer from had a 24v sitting there that hadn't run in a while, so we "borrowed" his #1 and #4 injection lines. It took about an hour of bending the #1 line to fit the Ppump and head well enough to seal. Once that was on, all was good. Tons of towing power, engine stayed cool when we weren't climbing 6% grades at 50mph, etc. Thanks @trreed for providing SOME company along the trip.

Haul.png.90f8c33834f56f53cfca717c6b456451.png

• Like 4

I mean, we were messing with the line for half an hour, and then drove 70 miles before it completely snapped off.  It was seeping fuel at the fuel stop before complete failure, and after a number of times of loosening and tightening I guess it just gave up.  Still raises the question of how it cracked in the first place.  

22 hours ago, trreed said:

You mean the three hours I slept? Or when I was awake??

3 :lmao: that's what you remember!

11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@TFaoro wow you have the shitiest luck man, how does a line blow like that. I heard on common rail it's a problem #4 I think, but I guess you have custom lines to go to p71

I have no luck with this thing.

Yes, they are custom Sheid lines.

The #4 clamp on CRs likes to come loose and cause that. It's so weird how it broke right above the pump. I can only assume bad metal.

I've dumped enough money in past projects, that's why lately I'm more after longevity then crazy hp, although if I had to do it all over again I'd probably do same thing, lots of experience gained and fun. These days it's house payments, kids, and enjoying life when possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I've dumped enough money in past projects, that's why lately I'm more after longevity then crazy hp, although if I had to do it all over again I'd probably do same thing, lots of experience gained and fun. These days it's house payments, kids, and enjoying life when possible. 

Probably biggest reason my truck is still stock for the last 16 years :(......but not for long   :)

• Haha 1

• Owner
12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

That's why I'm bouncing just a little bit over the stock line. Won't impact the longevity and the efficiency too bad. 

Like for me it about travelling 4,000 a month, keeping getting MoparMom to dialysis, and get me back and forth to jobs so I can keep the bills paid.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New injectors showed up from Infinite Performance (6x.013 sac) - Hopefully they were worth the 3 or 4 month wait!

I bought two filter heads, a Donaldson water separator, Donaldson 3 micron filter, lots of fittings, and 20 feet of 1/2in hose from @Vulcan. That should show up today - I want the filtration system on before I put the injectors in.

I'll build my own bracket to hold the filter heads - either under the bed or back by the transfer case somewhere.

@jlbayes - Let's talk lift pumps. I've read a lot about the A1000 and I seem to keep finding the inlet needs to be at least 5/8.... Have you heard the same? Are there any other "Big Boy" pumps I should be looking into that are reliable? I need it to keep up and be reliable!!

As for regulators, Fass, Aeromotive, Fuel Lab, etc - Who's best, or does it matter?

@Me78569 don't forget about me! I'll get you a cruise control actuator soon. Will you need the truck to do testing?