• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wood Burners

dorkweed

• Staff

I'm burning about 1.5 - 2 cords a winter but it's not as cold around the wet side of the Cascades. Heating about 1800 sq. ft. log house with high ceilings though.

Friend of mine every place he moves to builds a small two car garage, takes his loader and pushes cut split wood in there till it's full. Never bothers stacking it up. Simple way I guess

• 8 months later...

I've actually kicked the electric heat on to help!

I dunno how you do w&f... walk outside and the eyeballs and nostrils get frozen and it makes you cough to breathe it in...

It's not even officially winter yet! I do recall the almanac saying it was going to be a cold year!

Screenshot_20161217-014730.png

Edited by hex0rz

We are currently in the mid minus 20's actual temps with  minus 40-50 wind chill feels like temp through tomorrow then into the low 30's monday and tuesday, everyone will be wearing tank tops and flip flops by then, We were all laughing at work a couple days ago, it was negative 10 and dead calm and everyone thought it was a beautiful day lol. the wind is what does us in with the cold, one get used to the cold fairly fast but even a slight breeze is really killer and it gets worse the higher the humidity is with it.

This is my wifes vw tdi as she drove out of the yard this morning. and a screen shot of a friends weather station south of us.

Image may contain: night

No automatic alt text available.

Well we did it last night. set a new record low of minus 30 we actually saw minus 27 on my pickup thermometer on the way home from date night with the mrs. Have not see minus 30's since winter of 2008-2009 here myself. I was coming home from work and saw minus 36 with strong wind with the 05 cummins, was a cold trip home couldn't get it to make heat in the engine not to mention in the cab.

No automatic alt text available.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Well it got too hot on Saturday to keep painting the exterior of the house, so I switched to putting in my stove pipe for the wood stove in my shop. 

I need to put some firebrick in the stove, and clean it off so that it's not a table anymore but I'm ready to burn!

8E3C5910-9078-4A9C-97E2-CB01DC46509F.jpeg

5862DA71-1E8C-4FE8-B68C-4AA7B5E8C195.jpeg

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

• Owner

You just reminded me I've got a stove project for my house I need to move my stove in the basement and turn it so the blower is pointed towards the stairs up. I've always hated where the stove guy put it way too far from the wall and doesn't need 19 inches of air space for a double wall stove plus heat shield wall. :duh:

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Nice job you did, but I like the woodstove it looks nice.

Taller chimneys like mine with two story pipe runs will have more problems than shorter ones. After having years of slow draft problems, I finally went up the roof with a pair of shears and cut the metal band off that running around The uprights holding the 'helmet' or cap. This almost doubled my draft and don't need to clean it so often. What a difference this made:hyper:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

I’m curious to see how this does. 

I have 16’ of single wall and then 5’ of class A chimney pipe. When it’s 400° 12” above the stove it’s 180° where the single pipe ends. 

It won’t get choked down too much with the size of the shop, so that will help out with creosote production. 

• Staff

I usually prime / preheat my tall pipe with some papers and cardboard letting it roar pretty good before building in the kindling and wood. Let it burn wide open until stove is full hot is good. Sometimes I forget to turn it down though :duh:

13 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I’m curious to see how this does. 

I have 16’ of single wall and then 5’ of class A chimney pipe. When it’s 400° 12” above the stove it’s 180° where the single pipe ends. 

It won’t get choked down too much with the size of the shop, so that will help out with creosote production. 

I used to have creosote build up like a paste in the ceiling support box even though I had the correct connection the way the pipe bells are supposed to point upward. It was right at the single wall to double walled insulated pipe transition Would condense right there and weep its way outside the pipe. After the band removal, no more problem.