• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Reciever locks?!

Hey guys, I know this is bit of a 'who cares' sort of question but was just curious what receiver locks you all were using? I mainly ask because I want to make sure I'm getting one that's not only a decent lock, but also strong enough to handle the loads these trucks can haul!

Just from looking around, I saw on etrailers they have ones like these that seem to be a good option https://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Bulldog/BD580400.html what do you all think?

• Owner

You might not like them. Buddy of mine had his hitch stolen. So he bought a locking hitch pin. Sad part is the day he tried to unlock it to remove it the lock was seized up internally from mud and salt. Ended up having to use a torch and cut the lock off to get the hitch off. So yes they will prevent theft but might prevent you from removing it later too.

Idea I've considered was getting a grade 8 bolt that was big enough for the hole and using a nyloc nut and tighten it down fairly snug.

• Staff
  1. I never use one because  1. it's illegal but seldom enforced to leave a  hitch on with nothing attached here in CA,  2. another key I have to keep track of,  3. I also have shine bone trouble with them. 4. the hitch ball gets all rusted and if you grease it  see 3.  
  • Like 2

• Staff

I've used a plain hitch pin and clip for years with no problems.  When you get to the camp site or home take it off an put the pin and hitch away together.  They will stay clean, won't rust, and you know where they are.  They're also cheaper than a locking style and no nut and bolt to fool with.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hich pin

So in regards to those pins, are there different strengths to them or are they all the same? I'd like to get a heavy duty one. Or would I be better off just getting a grade 8 bolt and but from the hardware store and calling it good?

I have used one for about 3 years now.  However, it has a rubber snap on cover that goes over the key lock side of the pin to keep crud out of the lock. I have also spayed some WD40 into the key lock mechanism at the beginning of winter  and then in spring time.  still works easy, so I still have mine in place.

I have a locking pin around here somewhere. Never had any trouble unlocking it but too much of a nuisance for me. If I'm not towing I take the hitch off anyway. Did have a friend that always towed real heavy and lost his trailer when the hitch tube cut through the pin. He always used a solid hitch after that. 

My room mate got his hitch stolen, so I went and bought a locking one. I leave a big @$$ crane hook in the back of my truck at all times (unless towing a trailer) to protect the rear bumper and "hint" at the people who like to tailgate. Mine also has the rubber cap and I've never had an issue with getting it on/off in the last 3 years.

• 3 months later...

What's to stop someone from taking a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel and cutting the locking side of the pin off?

Then again in my mind i think stealing hitches like that is more of just an opportunity theft and i have doubts people would go through that much trouble to get one. but I've been wrong before!