• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What's the deal with 12v prices?

That's the only way these trucks make sense, either sub 5/10k used price or have owned it since before the spike in prices.  

The cost per mile to buy one at 20k and drive it for 5-10 years is like 4x as much as going out and buying a new truck.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I bought my truck brand new in October 2002. I plan on running the wheels off this beast I don't plan on selling it anytime soon yet.

Bought mine in october of 01, a year earlier, and I am not done with it yet by any means. I would like to see the 500k mark. Might be difficult if I do retire at 66 but 400k is just over the horizon.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

I am in the same boat with having way too much into my truck. The only way to make it worth it at this point is to keep it forever. I just keep reminding myself that at least I have no payments....

:doh: You're telling me.

Got it for a good price, but flirting with power, fuel efficiency, towing, etc. all at the same time is pretty addicting!

• Like 3

I bought my 96' with the intention of keeping it forever so I don't mind putting  some money into it, within reason of course lol. I'm sure I hurt it's value by bedlining the body but I don't care. I spent a couple hundred bucks doing it myself when a cheap paint job would have been over a grand and then your dealing with all the chips and scratches that always come when you use a truck like a truck. 

Not sure how to look at mine. I paid 33k for it back in 01. The only big issues I had was losing the VP at 75k under warranty and then the lift pump around 150k not under warranty, $1000 for that. No other issues until 217k. That was 8 years into ownership. I have always thought I got my moneys worth out of that 8 years

Now at 215k I lost both front wheel bearings. That was my first introduction into pricey parts. Got all that fixed and lost the ECM at 217k. Not sure "pricey" is an accurate term for that one. Then around 230k a VP and at 255 tranny. That was the worst 2 years I owned the truck. All big ticket stuff there. This really had me thinking of getting a new one. 

Now here 5 years and 8 months later the worst thing that has happened is replacing the clutch that failed prematurely and an AD fuel system. Not to bad a pill to swallow as above. But none the less unexpected.

I did not include things like brakes, ball joints, TRE's, and all the other things that just wear out. Just a cost of ownership. I also left out any performance things, exhaust break, and such because I did not have to have them, just wanted them. 

All in all after 15 years and 8 months it is probably the best automotive money I have ever spent.

To @The_Hammer that 12v is pretty but pricey.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-2500-2002-DODGE-2500-QUAD-CAB-4X4-5-9-DIESEL-86-223-MI-/322098531815?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4afe918de7:g:wngAAOSw2GlXK~88&item=32209853181

looking on ebay completed listings if they are getting these prices out of them, I really am going to keep mine 4ever.

I think a low millage non-modified will generally bring more value than a rebuilt, or restored truck even with the correct modifications. With a new 4th gen for around 50 grand I can see why people would spend this much on a clean used truck.

A  few years ago you could pick up a clean 2nd gen for around 10K all day long, Im sure you could still find one but not as common as they were.

If I had to do mine all over again I certainly would (I would just be a little better educated) I paid 22,000 for it in February of 2003 and It came with 20,000 miles, now it has 280k and I can see 500K or more in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love how he says "they all want the high output" I don't think anyone who knows about these trucks cares about HO, just the fact it is a 6 speed. I also find it funny that he calls it unmolested and never modified when he is describing all the mods done to it lol. 

• Like 2

• Staff

I still see trucks similar to mine for sale for what I paid for it 9 years and 115K miles ago!!!

The 6.7 and emissions scares are what are driving the 5.9 prices up and up. Something is always worth what someone will pay for it, even if that someone is spending too much. 

As for shocks I think bilstien is the way to go. They have been a great shock with an empty bed and with 8K on the rear axle. 

I personally gave up on rancho long ago. Based on the many sets I ran, stupid kool-aid, they are the most overpriced hunks of junk I have ever used. I never did run them on my Dodge, as I learned my lesson before then, but I have ran them on several other 2500 series vehicles as well as mini-trucks. 

8 hours ago, notlimah said:

I liked the emphasis on "put in over 20k into this truck in the last year" as if that's going to add 20k to his asking price and based on his "never modified" claim,  I don't know where all that money went! haha  

Hookers and blow man, it's always hookers and blow. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I keep full coverage on my second gen. Still a nice straight truck w/ low miles but, think if it ever gets wrecked the insurance might try snowing me on the price.

My first gen is still my DD and can't believe that engine and truck still so strong. I finally had to rebuild the 5 spd trans at about 425,000 miles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

I keep full coverage on my second gen. Still a nice straight truck w/ low miles but, think if it ever gets wrecked the insurance might try snowing me on the price.

My first gen is still my DD and can't believe that engine and truck still so strong. I finally had to rebuild the 5 spd trans at about 425,000 miles.

Lucky! Wish I had a 1st gen with a 5 speed!