• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How Noisy is Your Engine at Idle?

Hi Everyone,

I drove my truck today for the first time in a few weeks and it seems like my engine idle noise is louder then it should be (see attached video).  I know the Nv4500 makes more noise then the auto does in all driving conditions however it seems louder then I recall.   The manual swap has roughly 800 miles on it and the video is after driving for 35mins.

Does it sound like maybe I need to adjust the valves?  Whats your thoughts or post similar videos.

01 Ram Walk-Around @ Idle - 10.16.16.mp4

• Owner

Remember fuel differences as seasons change will change the noise level of the truck too. Higher cetane will typically make it louder. As cetane falls it will get quieter. Like adding 2 cycle oil has been proven to reduce engine noise by 10-20 db's IIRC. Fuel chemistry and ECT and IAT temperatures will change the noise levels too. As temperatures are lower the rattle is more pronounced because of the advanced timing. Warmer temperatures will typically retard timing back. 

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the said attached video?  So nothing to worry about....i haven't adjust the valves since about 100k and it just rolled over 173k.  I am so close to getting an manual tune in the truck to close out my project, just before I stop wrench wanted to make sure something wasn't left on the table.

Your video sounds like a typical noisy 2nd gen ISB.

Yes, I've checked mine with a db reader a couple years ago and it was approximately 92 db standing back about 5 feet pointed at the radiator with the hood closed.  This truck is so loud that when its idling in the garage its hard to think unless you're in the cab.

And as Moparman and Me78569 pointed out, the ambient weather, different fuel, and engine operating temperatures can have an affect on overall engine noise.

Sounds like you just haven't been driving your truck enough and forgot what its like..... :whistle:

• Like 1

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Cumminsince1983 said:

-A few years ago i parked on a busy street with the engine running.  About two minutes later some guy came out of his house mad as heck and knocked on my window...he says("would you stop idling your diesel in from of my house!").  

-Drive through food joints with engine on...no dice.

-conversations next to running truck usually involve yelling.

-neighbors like to make comments about the noise.

-you can do a few things to quiet it down but i say hell with them, Its a beautiful sound.

Same things happen to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cumminsince1983 said:

-A few years ago i parked on a busy street with the engine running.  About two minutes later some guy came out of his house mad as heck and knocked on my window...he says("would you stop idling your diesel in from of my house!").  

-Drive through food joints with engine on...no dice.

-conversations next to running truck usually involve yelling.

-neighbors like to make comments about the noise.

-you can do a few things to quiet it down but i say hell with them, Its a beautiful sound.

Usually yelling doesn't even work.  I've actually become pretty good at lip reading for such occasions.....and it doesn't hurt to know a little sign language either.

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Outside the truck is one thing... Yes they are loud. 

Inside my truck in my current configuration it rather very quiet. I get lots of comments of how quiet my truck is compared to other trucks. Totally stock interior and no sound deading material used.

Totally agree.....  I've read so many threads where people are disassembling their truck and installing sound muffling material in order to have simply conversations or listen to the radio while driving.  Strange because my truck is actually pretty quiet inside the cab while driving.  Again, I db tested this and it was about the same as my old minivan.

But.....when I hook up to something heavy then the Cummins becomes a beastly noise maker.  But thats OK because I dont listen to music or talk much while towing heavy because I'm too busy paying attention to the road.

• Like 3

ME, im also really interested in hearing about your mystery clunk. I had one as well and went to great GREAT lengths to find it and finally did. I absolutely HATE quirks like that. Its my personal vendetta on my vehicles to find those issues!