• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Emissions time is here

well I found what some might call a 

dr-evil

boost leak 

haha.  torn intercooler boot and a blown out intake gasket.  I got the intake gasket fixed and it is already better offidle lol.  The intercooler boot is really bad so I think I will be able to throw a ton more fuel at the truck. 

I kinda knew something was up, but I am lazy

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Or Ppump it. :stirthepot:  @jlbayes would approve :lol: 

Yuhhhsssss

15 hours ago, TFaoro said:

They're the same. Slight haze off idle. I could make both perfectly clean if I wanted to though.

Mine was less with a ppump and the old setup. Still fine tuning my current setup but I jumped way way up in pump and injector.

16 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Where's your sense of adventure! Haha. If I stab the throttle from 1-2% TPS, I can keep the smoke out of it. But you're right, that would be the wisest solution.

For Colorado emissions, the test consists of 4 parts: a rev from idle, and a lug down at 40, 50 and 60 mph to simulate WOT up a grade.  Opacity is measured during all of these parts.  And then there is the visual test, but that really isn't a concern for our trucks since we don't have EGRs and whatnot.  So if the place you're moving to is similar, then you'll be screwed with those injectors.

21 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Well I couldn't find my emissions sheet last night but I recall my opacity being 0.4% with 20% allowed. 

You could always do a HPCR swap :-)

I like my cheap injectors and full time check engine light :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trreed said:

For Colorado emissions, the test consists of 4 parts: a rev from idle, and a lug down at 40, 50 and 60 mph to simulate WOT up a grade.  Opacity is measured during all of these parts.  And then there is the visual test, but that really isn't a concern for our trucks since we don't have EGRs and whatnot.  So if the place you're moving to is similar, then you'll be screwed with those injectors.

Why would I be screwed with these injectors? I can tune it smoke free. I'm only worried about the throttle stab for 1/2 second  before the quad kicks in. I can lock the TC up in overdrive at 1100 RPM and floor it and not smoke.

• Owner
19 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Just adjust the to stop screw out so the quadzilla reads %2 to at idle.  That should make it so the quad is always altering fueling and should bring fueling way down right offidle.

Just remember two things that will not work when in this state. 

1. Exhaust Brake
  2. High Idle Kit

Both these products require the IVS in the APPS to toggle to idle position for them to function. With what @Me78569 is suggesting will work for smog reasons but will also disable the device I listed above.

• Like 1

Well it passed with flying colors today.  Not as much power as I wanted, but from the datalog I could have thrown a bunch more fuel at the truck.  I wasn't exactly sure how they did the run so my tune wasn't setup right for what they actually did.

Here's the run.  The way they do it is take her up to 65 ish mph then increase the load on the dyno until rpms fall.  they mark opacity at 60, 50 and 40 mph. 

emissions datalog.PNG

Full data log

You can see how canbus doesn't stay at max, This run ended up being about stock fueling duration + ~%30 wiretap ~540 uS .  On the street this tune does max duration + %50 wiretap  Guessing about a ~50 hp difference between the lug down dyno and street.

Anyways the opacity test results, ignore the TQ figure

IMG_20170630_115645.jpg

Line 73 of the datalog is the 60 mph reading (85 % duration), line 87 is the 50 mph (%78 duration), line 92 is 40( %100 duration, but it looks like they recorded the power mid downshift).  The guy says stock 2nd gens typically put down ~160 hp on during this test.

IMG_20170630_115704.jpg

Little comparison to last year using the Smarty S03 on %50 power mode.

Last year was %7 opacity with 98 hp( i have the sheet somewhere), so even though I didn't hit my 350 hp goal I nearly tripled my power with an only %1 increase in Opacity.

• Like 3

But that torque number tho!  Funny how inaccurate it was.  Though the places I go don't even give me a HP/TQ readout, so i have no idea what I'm making during the tests

Did you happen to find out why they say there's a 20% opacity limit vs. the state's 35%?

• Like 1

didn't ask.  they switched up the report they give you as well so it is no longer listed.     next year I am gonna jack up the fuel a good bit more now that I know whats up. 

it's amazing what a datlog can show you.

Edited by Me78569

• Staff

It's ground torque so I bet it's accurate. There is torque multiplication going on with the axle and trans (maybe, depending on gear). 

Assuming direct for all 3 speeds the torque would be 613.4, 646.8, and 745.7 respectively. If 40 was achieved in 2nd gear the torque would be 514. 

Those look pretty accurate, and they are also calibrated vs measured. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2017 at 0:05 PM, Me78569 said:

Reduce smoke as a result of getting boost up faster or reduce smoke as a result of moving the flame later into the stroke and getting a more complete burn?  

Little late to this party but isn't retarding timing means it won't burn completely, and advancing it will. I always thought more air/fuel and advancing timing acordingly will be more power. So more air and fuel you add you need more time to burn so advanceing timing in my mind is what needs to happen. Too much and it will ping meaning it will explode and would almost want to push piston backwards before it gets to tdc. 

I don't know at least that's how I always did this. 

13 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Little late to this party but isn't retarding timing means it won't burn completely, and advancing it will. I always thought more air/fuel and advancing timing acordingly will be more power. So more air and fuel you add you need more time to burn so advanceing timing in my mind is what needs to happen. Too much and it will ping meaning it will explode and would almost want to push piston backwards before it gets to tdc. 

I don't know at least that's how I always did this. 

"theory, as I understand it beyond this point"

Retarding the timing will move more heavy / energy into the exhaust.  More energy into the exhaust will help get the turbo going faster.

However I have no idea how this is suppose to reduce smoke right off idle.   I have noticed that the OEM timing curve will spike timing right offidle.  I have seen 17* or more as soon as you touch the throttle.  Is this to help offidle smoke?   No idea.