• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4 Inch Exhaust Needed!!!

• Owner

I got every thing now in the shop. I've laid out the exhaust system on the floor and looked at the over all size it's long that is for sure. Hopefully I get my shot today to install in my truck. Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust Aluminized with both muffler and delete pipe so I can either way. 

Now after asking about the Aluminized vs Stainless after talking to 3 different vendors, there is nothing to gain really by stainless. Aluminized last this long on my truck at 15 years. Stainless and Aluminized will both go the same distance as well. Now there is the 409 (IIRC) which guys buy because they can polish the stainless up like chrome nearly. 

The other thing I found out that Diamond Eye has the thicker gauge pipe at 16 gauge compared to MBRP at 14 gauge. Diamond Eye should last longer being it is bit thicker gauge pipe but also might affect when the drone occurs. 

Kinda late to this thread but I had a  Farm Boy Diesel Performance 5 inch exhaust installed on my truck back July of 2010.  It is still doing well but I don't have near the salt and other road hazards you all do.  I installed it primarily due to an egt problem after installing larger injectors.  

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.com/topic/555-5-inch-turbo-back-exhaust-install-on-my-2002-dodge-ram-cummins-diesel/?tab=comments#comment-3823

I believe I paid about $280 for mine when I bought it.  It fit tight but just right and sounds good.  Helped out with the egt issue as well. 

http://www.farmboysdiesel.com/product/budget-exhaust-fbd-5-straight-pipe-6/

Its not stainless but depending upon where you live, it may be more cost effective than stainless. 

Here is the stainless system they carry.

http://www.farmboysdiesel.com/product/mbrp-xp-series-5-single-dodge-exhaust-system/

Edited by LiveOak

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The other thing I found out that Diamond Eye has the thicker gauge pipe at 16 gauge compared to MBRP at 14 gauge. Diamond Eye should last longer being it is bit thicker gauge pipe but also might affect when the drone occurs. 

I hope you got that backwards. The 14 is thicker than the 16. 

Edited by dripley

• Owner

Most likely so... Not enough sleep or coffee this morning. :doh: You'll see I was up late last night posting...

It's installed... With a muffler... It so damn quiet now you have to get out and walk to the passenger side rear to even hear the exhaust. In the cab you can't hear any exhaust noise at all. You have to roll down the windows you might hear it a little bit at low speed and heavy throttle by the time you get to highway speeds you can't hear it at all. Just all wind noise. I hear more noise from the BHAF than the exhaust now. 

@AH64ID just for information value. The Diamond Eye muffler is a straight through design with just holes in the internal tube. Now you can see clearly there is a packing all the way down and no baffles. So it's an Absorptive Silencing muffler. 

muff3.jpg

I recently sold my 99 to my cousin and he put a resonator on the 4in diamond eye and I couldn't believe how mellowed out it made the exhaust. You could definitely hear it but it was a little deeper and not as raspy or loud at idle. It'll definitely be the route I go when I finally get an exhaust.

On 8/30/2017 at 6:54 AM, jlbayes said:

I know how to fix this. Compounds. :woot::whistle:

Can attest to this, two muffler bearings made my truck MUCH quieter. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I can say without a doubt there are no changes in EGT's for normal daily driving and light hauling. I will mention that the spool up is a bit faster and more power on the low end compared to the 3" inch stock pipe. EGT's wise there is ZERO change. 

Don't forget to check the clamps after 50-100 miles. The vibration made my clamps come loose even though I thought i had gotten tight. Now just add a small tip to finish the look! 

• Like 1

• Staff
On 9/3/2017 at 2:11 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

@AH64ID just for information value. The Diamond Eye muffler is a straight through design with just holes in the internal tube. Now you can see clearly there is a packing all the way down and no baffles. So it's an Absorptive Silencing muffler. 

That's what I recall my M085171 is. How does the diamond eye sound with the exhaust brake on? The M085171 was ear splitting loud and the exhaust brake is the only reason I added a resonator. 

Did some towing thru the mountains this weekend and even when I need to rev up above 2500 rpms it's rare that I use more than 50% load and very rare to even break 80% load at those rpms, just based on required power, and that was all at 19K GCW on some 7-8% grades for many winding miles (Lowman to Idaho City for those that know the area). Long story short, I am not sure I need to be worried about full flow above 2700 rpms at 3 inHg. I also found that Cummins allows 5 inHg on our motors so if I exceed 3 inHg less than 1% of the time I'm okay with that. 

So that puts me back looking at the 4" mufflers a little harder. I'm looking at both the M090544 and M100466, and I am leaning towards the M090544. 

https://catalog.donaldson.com/productDetail/en/A/M090544?productId=14204&skuId=s16866&_requestid=26449276

When I built my 5 inch I just bought 3 lengths of straight pipe. I cut some wedges out on the inside of the bends, pulled the pipe around until the wedges were closed, then welded them shut. Very narrow wedges parallel to the pipe to make the reducer to tie in the 5 inch exhaust to the 4 inch down pipe. Maybe a little unorthodox but effective and very inexpensive. Besides, no one makes a 5 inch exhaust for a 96 Yukon.

FB_IMG_1504762597640.jpg

FB_IMG_1504762575752.jpg

• Owner

So far I've been liking the 4" Diamond Eye Muffled exhaust. Very Very quiet. Even the exhaust brake is quiet you do hear the hiss but it toned down. I hear more turbine noise than exhaust noise now. Acceleration is improved over the 3" inch exhaust. Still after a week of driving back and forth to Ontario, OR there is ZERO change in EGT's still running 600*F at 65 MPH like my 3" exhaust did. I'm going to check over my MPG and hand math and see if there is any gains.

Edited by Mopar1973Man