• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Am I filtering fuel enough?

• Owner
14 hours ago, AH64ID said:

It's actually not really designed as a fuel/water separator

Not worried still got my stock filter in places for catching water. To this day I rarely ever fine water in either filter so the whole worry of water separation is not even an issue. After 60k miles I might have a teaspoon worth of water in both the stock can and the AirDog filter. Nothing to worry about. 

Now as for filtration. I've got 3um on the AirDog ar a Donaldson filter, Then I've got the stock can with a filter 10um as well. The thing is I change filters every 60k miles roughly. I started cutting filters open and checking the media and found that 15k filter changes are a waste. Then even the second filter in the stock can was catching stuff the 3um was passing. 

15k filter... Still brand new.

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filter

After 60k miles.

Related image

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Yeah I never understood that whole thing with changing filters once a year or whatever mileage recommended. Oil filter maybe not fuel, if pressure starting to drop or filter is rusting out then I do it. My last one I changed at 15k and it still looked new inside, but after changing it I gained 1.5 psi, not sure what that was about.

• Staff

@015point9I do my online filter shopping at www.filterspro.com, but they don't carry everything. 

For the airdog I recommend the BF1275 and the Donaldson P551315 or DBF5816  

@Mopar1973Man I would put a different f/w sep on there at your next change. The suction filter is the best place for a f/w sep, as you don't want to be putting the water thru the 3µ filter if you can help it. Also it's not even a 20 GPH filter and the suction filter on the AD has the most flow since the return is after it. It can't hurt anything to put an actual f/w sep on there. 

@Dieselfuture Filters are recommended to be changed after time because they can break down internally. Many, not all, of them contain cellulose  media and/or glue. If the filter starts to fail you won't necessarily see a pressure drop. 

I change mine every 30K miles, 18 months, or at a visible pressure drop. Based on my current driving habits with the truck I do an 18 month change. It's probably overkill for plugged filters, but like I said filters do wear out. 

If you look at industrial motors, which have very robust OEM filtration setups, they generally recommend 12 month or 500 hour filter change intervals. They almost all have staged filtration with lots of media, but that doesn't extend the service life of a filter. 

My last change was stretched to 20 months due to some out of town time for work. They were on for 15440 miles, 482 hours, and 1091 gallons of fuel burned. Being a diesel most the fuel gets filtered more than once. The in-tank pump runs at around 50 GPH under pressure. That means the filters had over 24K gallons of fuel pumped thru them, which is why time is also a factor in replacement. 

I'll be doing another filter change in September when I do my annual oil change before elk hunting. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Owner
6 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

@Mopar1973Man I would put a different f/w sep on there at your next change. The suction filter is the best place for a f/w sep, as you don't want to be putting the water thru the 3µ filter if you can help it. Also it's not even a 20 GPH filter and the suction filter on the AD has the most flow since the return is after it. It can't hurt anything to put an actual f/w sep on there. 

Ummm... Running a Donaldson filter and water separator right now. Order a batch of 3 filters and 1 W/S from DAP.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/water-separator-donaldson-20-mic-3-4-16-thread

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Ummm... Running a Donaldson filter and water separator right now. Order a batch of 3 filters and 1 W/S from DAP.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/water-separator-donaldson-20-mic-3-4-16-thread

Gotcha, your post above made it sound like you were still running the POS OE filter. 

That's a much better filter (it's generally used on a Cummins B3.3). It doesn't have quite the flow or water separation ratings of the Baldwin BF1275 but it's much better than the WS100. 

Edited by AH64ID

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Gotcha, your post above made it sound like you were still running the POS OE filter. 

That's a much better filter (it's generally used on a Cummins B3.3). It doesn't have quite the flow or water separation ratings of the Baldwin BF1275 but it's much better than the WS100. 

How does the Donaldson p550550 stack up? I bought some a while back and still have a couple left. 

Edited by dripley

• Owner

At this point in not going to worry much about specs. When I'm capable of getting 243k on VP44 I think what I've got is pretty good. Being the water isn't an issue, predicted rarely even sees debris, then I'm changing fuel filter both very 60k mile and barely darken the filter elements.

I look more it the fact I buy quality fuels that don't require a bunch of filtering hence why the long change intervals.

• 2 years later...

My fass started giving me issues yesterday, blowing the 10 amp fuse, so I’m sorting that out.  Had about 15000 miles on the filter so I want to change them out.  Been reading for a while and my head is swimming.  Could I get a recommendation for replacing the 2 filters on the fass and 1 for the stock filter on the 24 valve 2nd gens?   Thanks!

12 minutes ago, trailhead said:

My fass started giving me issues yesterday, blowing the 10 amp fuse, so I’m sorting that out.  Had about 15000 miles on the filter so I want to change them out.  Been reading for a while and my head is swimming.  Could I get a recommendation for replacing the 2 filters on the fass and 1 for the stock filter on the 24 valve 2nd gens?   Thanks!

If it's cold out and fuel is geling motor will draw more amps and blow the fuse. Make sure your fuel is properly treated. If it has a lot of hours on the fass could be that the seal is wearing out and fuel is getting into the motor. To change filters just bump the key few times to let it cycle fuel through. I put ball valves on my pump before and after, this way I don't lose all the fuel out of lines, you can maybe use hose pliers and pinch them off. Not sure on your fuel system how it's put together. 

• Staff
10 hours ago, trailhead said:

what filters do you run now? There are different size threads over the years so I need to know what filters fit to make a recommendation.  

3 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I bypassed my factory filter so I dont need to worry about that one anymore but for my FASS system I just buy their replacement filters.

https://fassride.com/shop/product-category/replacement-parts/replacement-filters/titanium-signature-replacement-filters/

Sadly many of the FASS, and AirDog, setups end up with worse filtration than stock. For most people deleting the stock filter provides negatIve effects. I’ve never seen a filter setup that can match the flow of the pumps moving more than 95GPH. 

Which model FASS do you have? And what filters are on it? 

Edited by AH64ID

19 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Sadly many of the FASS, and AirDog, setups end up with worse filtration than stock. For most people deleting the stock filter provides negatIve effects. I’ve never seen a filter setup that can match the flow of the pumps moving more than 95GPH. 

Which model FASS do you have? And what filters are on it? 

I have the Titanium 165.  The filters currently on it are the PF-3001 and the XWS-3002

• Owner

Should always keep the stock filter! More filters are always better.

As for FASS 150 I've got another one in the yard that failed in under 100 miles. Yup! You heard correctly. The customer got a brand new FASS 150 and VP44 and just driving back home from the store in Riggins and it died in front of my place. Towed him in and sure enough the FASS 150 has ZERO PSI. The VP44 is dead as well with P0216 code and P1689 code. Now I'm doing the warranty work.

• Sad 1

• Owner

Double filters are optimal! You would be super surprised to see what my stock filter picks up that a 3um Donaldson will pass. Not to mention I also extended my change interval of filters to 60k miles being that even the AirDog 150 filter at 15k miles is still brand new and white. You have to check the filter media and see what the debris level is. So I quit wasting money changing filters too early.