• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How does my turbo look?

• Owner
23 hours ago, kzimmer said:

If it doesn't look like my original HY35, I wouldn't worry about it....

This was still fully functional when I replaced it BTW.

image.png.dac54facc9669230885a259f94878826.png

Now that I'm at home and can see this on a normal monitor. The compressor wheel got trashed. Looks kind of like when I fed my turbo a hose clamp. The bearings are for sure shot you can see where the compressor wheel made contact. Oil is the other thing there is a lot of engine oil another sign of bearing failure. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Is the brown color of the housing from the turbo getting too hot?  My OEM turbo was kind of brown, been that way since I got it so I assumed it was normal.  New turbo is nice and silver, still looks new. 

I always let mine cool down now, saw what happens when you don't in my last turbo.  I only put 45k miles on it, don't know how the PO did things. 

• 1 month later...

What BHAF are you using? They aren’t all created equal. I always had good luck with wix/Napa and oil samples proved they did their job. I got a Donaldson or Baldwin one time and it didn’t have the internal cage like the wix/Napa and just didn’t seem to be made as well. I also use a 4” sleeve of plumbing inside the lip.

7 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

@Mad Bomber What size wheel was that? 58mm or 60mm?

It was a 58

6 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

What BHAF are you using? They aren’t all created equal. I always had good luck with wix/Napa and oil samples proved they did their job. I got a Donaldson or Baldwin one time and it didn’t have the internal cage like the wix/Napa and just didn’t seem to be made as well. I also use a 4” sleeve of plumbing inside the lip.  

I have the Scotty Air system