• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Questions replacing battery cables

Solder...found a old spool from Tandy projects. Probably 60"s or 70's.  Unknown percentage of mixture.

1st  QUESTION...Any certain type of solder for battery cables?

2nd got these things in pic that are  2 ought in size.

Are these in pick or do I actually need the type that circle the battery post?  

And already picked up "military" type battery posts.

Any help

Thanks

20190914_105217.jpg

20190815_115841.jpg

I soldered mine about 20 months ago with no problems. Nothing against crimping, I just dont possess a crimper. I used an electrical grade of solder but dont remember the designation now. I also used the adhesive lined shrink tube but dont remember it being dual wall.

1 hour ago, Ed ke6bnl said:

My suggestion is to crimp. Some Chinese hydraulic crimpers can be as cheap as $30. We have done 3 Dodges and use dual wall adhesive shrink tube

12 minutes ago, dripley said:

I soldered mine about 20 months ago with no problems. Nothing against crimping, I just dont possess a crimper. I used an electrical grade of solder but dont remember the designation now. I also used the adhesive lined shrink tube but dont remember it being dual wall.

I have access to a crimper for size 2 ought. But not a crimper for the big battery terminal type. And cant find the type that has holes for the of other smaller wires.  That's why I bought the ones I did, for now.  Fosters truck or Larry B's dont have it either.  

I'm in Seattle, big boats have all kinds of cables. Generators etc.  Surely somebody can fab what I want.  At least hoping so, should not be magic.

Dodge and Cummins dont.  On line including geno's doesnt either.  

Wierd that a "oem" cable is so hard to come by.

If you got the military terminals the cable ends you gave should be all you need. I personally prefer soldier, because it seals it better and you won’t have air gaps that will start to corrode overtime. I use a rosin core soldier and flux. Just fill the ring terminals full of soldier using a propane torch then stick the pre tinned and fluxed cooper wire ends  in the molting soldier. Then finish it off with some commercial grade heat shrink. You may be able to soldier and  crimp but just plain soldier has been keeping my cables in good shape for the last  6 or 7 years. 

I even used liquid electrical tape to help seal around the ends of joint before I shrunk the tube on and of course a light coating of oil to help keep the terminals sealed on the battery post 

• Like 1

• Staff

You can go to a battery supply shop.  The kind that sell just car, truck, RV and stand by batteries.  They have all the cable ends and cable you need.  The will either sell you the material to make your own or make it up for you.  The cable ends that you are showing are about 60¢ each at the shop I go to.  Try Pacific Power Batteries.  There is Batteries Plus Blubs, they do repairs on small things and may have the supplies.

.The solder to use on the cables is 60/40 tin-led (SN-PB) rosin core type.   I use a butane micro torch to heat and solder the cables and terminals together.  Before I solder the terminals on to the cable I orientate them as how they will be when fitted so there is no twist in the cable.   If you're going to use heat shrink slide it on the cable first and at least 6'' from the end before soldering.   Do the soldering like @01cummins4everposted and you'll be golden.

Edited by IBMobile

46 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

I have access to a crimper for size 2 ought. But not a crimper for the big battery terminal type. And cant find the type that has holes for the of other smaller wires.  That's why I bought the ones I did, for now.  Fosters truck or Larry B's dont have it either.  

I'm in Seattle, big boats have all kinds of cables. Generators etc.  Surely somebody can fab what I want.  At least hoping so, should not be magic.

I cut the original cables back and put on new terminals. I was fortunate enough to get good usa made crimper at the swapmeet for under $20.there is a hammer type crimper that will be fie for a very fair price. 

Deka 8 Gauge Hammer Crimper Tool $25 at batterymart.com

2 hours ago, 015point9 said:

You can buy pre made ones off the internet at several places. It is alot cheaper to make your own with the ring terminals. and military battery terminals. I did all of mine out of 2/0 and place ring terminals on the smaller wires for about 100 to 120  bucks.

3 hours ago, dripley said:

You can buy pre made ones off the internet at several places. 

Yes...found several places but haven't found any that are exactly OEM style to just unplug connections of the smaller wires and plug in replacement that is direct replacement.  I'll probably have to do what you did with the smaller wires.  

2 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Yes...found several places but haven't found any that are exactly OEM style to just unplug connections of the smaller wires and plug in replacement that is direct replacement.  I'll probably have to do what you did with the smaller wires.  

You will save a nice chunk of money diy. Even upgrade the wire size from OE. Its not difficult at all.

• Thanks 1

If you don't have a local resource or live very remote and need to order in wire, I use these folks for my business.

Wireandcableyourway.com

Prices from Genos and custombatterycables.com are anywhere from $300 to $400 for a set, they are very nice sets and for folks who can not make their own it is by far the way to go, they are turn key from end to end I have a set from custombatterycables.com. you basically are buying your time to build them, so pay more work less. But can for build these for a very nice price point.

Custombatterycables.com

All Battery kits include covers and loom (free loom)

https://www.custombatterycables.com/1998-2002-dodge-ram-2500-3500-5-9l-cummins/

Genos carries these same sets they buy in bulk and pass on some savings.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/dodge-ram-cummins-replacement-heavy-duty-battery-cable-kit-ddg25kit/Electrical-accessories

DIY options just for a reference $2.88 per foot 2/0 Type SGX SAE J1127 Battery Cable.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/2-0-battery-cable-type-sgx.html

• Thanks 1

On the topic of solder make sure you never use acid core on anything electrical. May sound obvious but i have seen people use it and it causes some of the nastiest electrical problems you will ever see. I think the stuff i use is .023 its small diameter makes it flow easy on small gauge wires and if you are doing large wire just take a 2 foot long piece fold it over a few times and twist it together to thicken it up. 

The solder is .032 diameter not .023

Edited by Gregturley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2