• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which Mechanics Creeper?

JAG1

• Staff

There are quite a few creepers on the market these days, but most have complaints about breaking, plastic tearing near the wheels, wheels worn out in two weeks, bearings falling out, etc.

Does anyone have one they can recommend? My old wood one from Kmart I bought back in 73, has seeing its last days.

With all the bad reviews I thought of going to Snap-On for their standard duty creeper.

T.I.A for any thoughts or warnings on which one to go for or stay away from. 

• Staff

Best ever seen . See if I can look it up..........

It's called the Human Hoist. for $12,000 Bucks. I don't think I'll be doing that. It was not available when the video was made and cannot find a Vid showing anyone that has purchased one yet. I don't think they are on the market yet. That would be a good tax write off for those that have a business and have physical disabilities. May need a docs letter to be able to write the whole thing off, not sure on something like that.

Thanks Doubletrouble it's really cool. 

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Have you thought about one of those cloth like sliding mechanics creepers? I saw them on one of those truck shows. Seemed to work good for them but I've never known anyone that has tried one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sliding+mechanics+creeper&source=lmns&tbm=vid&bih=512&biw=360&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiB0o6o8vvtAhVKG6wKHUTzBM0Q_AUoA3oECAAQBg#

• Thanks 1

• Staff

I didn't like some of the reviews on those.

I found an Ergonomic Plastic molded one with good reviews Made by American Forge and Foundry. Special order only at Lowes for $145, I found for half that at Cardid It's their heavy duty one # 3909 a bit longer and wider with tool trays. I will mount some metal plates near the headrest for magnetic LEDs :drool:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Mine is old craftsman, stella going. Not sure what I'd buy next when needed.

I heard it's got burns and beer stains from puttin out the fires when you do electrical work under yer truck..:lol:

I haven't seen one worth buying yet. They all seem to have poorly designed frames and the casters fail shortly therein because they don't like to operate at angles. Anything plastic is just a toy, they tend to flex. Mind, I'm 220 on a good day, 235 on a bad one.

I still use cardboard, or if I'm feeling fancy, a $5 walmart fleece blanket.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

I use cardboard alot as well.

Cardboard is all that I've used for the past 26 years.   With cardboard you don't have to jack up the car very high.  You can slid in and out from under easily.   It helps keep the concrete floor clean under the car.  When it gets dirty recycle it and get a new piece.   I get all I want from the dealer's parts department or the local Costco. 

• Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Cardboard is all that I've used for the past 26 years.   With cardboard you don't have to jack up the car very high.  You can slid in and out from under easily.   It helps keep the concrete floor clean under the car.  When it gets dirty recycle it and get a new piece.   I get all I want from the dealer's parts department or the local Costco. 

I like cardboard too, but my trouble is it rains often here and the driveway is wet working in between rain showers. It's nice to have a 4x4, a little higher and something I can easily dry off before laying down again.

• Like 1

• Owner

Well last few I've picked up from HF. Don't do any plastic creepers mine was only rated for 230 pounds at the time I killed the plastic one I just crossed over 240 pounds. I've got another one from HF which is steel framed and padded back board with tilt head rest, not bad. Part that sucks is it seems to be always falling apart screws and bolts loosening up.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Sad 1

My dad's Snap-On creeper is around 30 years old.  No problems with the wheels, bearings, cracked frame welds, or anything. The padding is still good, and pad cover hasn't split - it is thick material. He's been well over 250 pounds the whole time.

The wheels are larger than most, and I think there are 8 wheels, not 6.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Mine is old craftsman, stella going. Not sure what I'd buy next when needed.

I'm on my second Craftsman in my life. First one the casters gave out and wife got me a new one for Christmas before I got them replaced. I kept it as a backup. Still didn't get the casters replaced.

• Like 1

I use some half inch foam. bought a short piece 2' by 6' when I reroofed the house a 3 years back. Bought another from HF they sell as a shop floor walk pad. pretty cheap and still going strong. Works great on the gravel driveway. Water does not bother them.